1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

How To Make Season 7 Better.

Discussion in 'Season 7' started by Xanderectomy, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Xanderectomy

Xanderectomy Professional Procrastinator

This is basically a post where i highlight all the things i would change about season 7 to make it better.
    Feel free to disagree with me and pls tell me what you would change about season 7.

1)The Potentials - i think the biggest problem people have with season 7 is the potentials,I would first of all reduce the amount of potentials from like the 40 they introduced to like maybe 5-6.Then i would have them show up earlier in the season (around the 6th or 7th episode maybe) and have them properly developed not as individuals but as a group.We could get to see their strengths and weaknesses,perhaps show them have courage and possible show why they aren't just a random bunch of girls and the 'potential' they have.

2)Spike - 'The First' thing i would change about Spike is have him introduced a bit later on in the season perhaps around the 7th episode.I would skip all the crazy Spike stuff and have straight to being controlled by the First and killing people like he was in episode 7.The Scoobies now basically thing Spike is evil again and go after him only to discover he's being controlled by the first (like they did in the actual season) but however i would change Buffy just immediately forgiving Spike for everything he did and instead I would have her try to go after Spike and kill him for the 'greater good' like she did with Angel,so Buffy finds Spike and at first he's being controlled by the first so they have a fight but eventually he snaps out of it and doesn't retaliate to Buffy hitting him.Buffy is about to stake him when she's overcome with guilt for how she treated him and decides to give him a second chance.So basically then for a couple episode we would have Spike go through the entire thing with Dealing with 'The First' controlling him through the song but instead of having it last for like the rest of the season i would have his arc last for a couple of episodes and not go through the whole Spuffy thing.

3)The First - I thought The First were booked fine for 'the first' 9-10 episodes but instead of having them go into remission i would have them change their target from Spike to *wait for it* KENNEDY (this might possibly the worst idea ever) but i would have them control Kennedy through some figure important to her and have her kinda go over to the dark side like Faith did,so we could finally hate her for the smug ,arrogant person she is.

4)The Scoobies - now instead of completely pushing of the scoobies to the back i would have them have their own background arcs that they go through -

Willow - so for willow it would obviously be her trying to overcome like her dark side,we didn't get to see Willow struggle with her Dark side alot (except for like one maybe two scenes)so i would've loved to willow struggle more with her use of magic and then penultimately when the fate of the world rested on her like overcome her dark side.

Xander - At the start of season 7 we see that Xander has sort of matured into like a really corporate kinda guy you know going to meeting and wearing suits and stuff.So i would love to have see him struggle to manage between his sort of serious side and his goofy side (basically the two sides of him we see in the replacements) and him coming to terms with his failed relationships and making changes to himself.

Dawn - So at the end of season six we see Buffy promise Dawn that she's gonna show her the world so i would like her to actually follow up on her promise and like teach dawn how to defend herself from monsters and stuff and i would love to see Dawn kind of get confident about herself and not whine 24/7.

So Thats Basically most of the changes i would make for season 7.

The Ferg and thetopher like this.
  2. HowiMetdaSlayer

HowiMetdaSlayer Occasionally, I am callous and strange.

I never cared for the whole magic as addiction story line, so wouldn't go there. I think that better writing/having Joss actually running the show would've fixed most of what was wrong with season 6 and 7.

3. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

I totally agree with this idea. :D

I'd have to go back and change season 6 though before I get to season 7.

4. Xanderectomy

I actually like season 6 quite a bit don't know why people hate it (apart from Spike,god i hated in Spike in season 6).
    I Personally think omwf alone was more entertaining than the whole of season 7.

5. HowiMetdaSlayer

HowiMetdaSlayer Occasionally, I am callous and strange.

I don't hate season 6, but I did think that it's overall pretty weak. Now I hated season 7. I think they should've rewritten season 6 as the final season.

6. Xanderectomy

The Season 6 Finale left alot of unanswered questions like what would happen with willow and Spike getting his soul back.

7. Priceless

Priceless I'll set something on fire

I thought the whole point of the potentials was that they were a random bunch of girls. They could have been anyone from anywhere. They were meant to be us the audience. The show was ending and the writers were saying this is it, the show is over but you the audience can carry on and be strong like Buffy. The whole show was about empowering young women and that's what it ended on, it's not about a few, it's about all of us.

The crazy Spike stuff was about the affect his soul had on him, so was important to the story in general. They had to define the effect the soul had on him versus the effect The First had on him. And a lot of the things you suggest have been done before such as Spike not retaliating against Buffy beating him, which happened in Dead Things (one of my all time fave eps) And of course I loved all the Spuffy in S7, and if I were re-writing S7 I'd just have every other scene Spuffy-centric :eek::D;)

PreferSpike and Hunga Munga like this.
  8. Athena

Athena Tweedledum Staff Member

Black Thorn
    How to make Season 7 better: Don't kill off the one potential we care about! :rolleyes:

I know it's Joss's thing, but don't make me love Amanda just for her to die. Kill off someone else!

Blair: I agree, Amanda should of lived. She was awesome!
    Blair and Taake like this.
  9. Guy

Guy Scooby

Black Thorn
    But... Then it's like Quicksilver in AOU, when you don't care that he dies.

And it's not just a Joss thing, it's a WRITER thing. Killing beloved characters is always better than killing characters you don't care about.

10. Athena

Black Thorn
    Yeah, I'm a writer, I get that. But you also want the viewer/reader on your side (sometimes), and repeatedly killing off all your most beloved characters doesn't accomplish that. This is a thread about making Season 7 better. It would be infinitely better if Amanda actually lived. It would have given me hope that, ultimately in the end, good will triumph over evil, because when your kindest, sweetest character gets brutally killed, that feeling goes away.

11. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

Agreed. Kennedy should've been the one to die!

PreferSpike likes this.
  12. Guy

Guy Scooby

Black Thorn
    I'm not sure I understand the "you want the viewer/reader on your side" argument. You mean, the writer wants the reader to be on his (the writer's) side? Because I don't think that's true. As long as the story works, it doesn't matter what you think about the writer. Also, killing off characters doesn't make audiences automatically turn on the writer - Jenny's death in 'Passion', for example, seems to be pretty unanimously praised.

Also, good DID triumph over evil in 'Chosen'. And Amanda's death was one of the things that made that triumph feel EARNED. I think it works perfectly. It's all about the bitter-sweet-ness: Buffy's last smile is so powerful BECAUSE there was so much suffering before it.

Also also - Joss really doesn't kill that much. When the series was over, the original core 4 characters (Buffy, Willow, Xander, Giles) were still alive, after all. Seems pretty cheery and heartwarming to me. If he killed even fewer characters, the series would not be as moving. It'd be like the MCU, where no one important ever dies.

When it comes to character deaths, the only thing that matters to me is how well-executed they are. Lilah's death, for example, bothers me - because it's just there to serve a cheap, dumb reveal, and it doesn't tell us anything about Lilah herself, and it doesn't make sense as the end of her story, and her arc wasn't finished when she died. The only good thing about it is Wesley's angst after it happened, and that's not enough.
    Amanda's death, however, feels perfectly fitting to me. It's about the cost of war, and it makes sense to emphasize that in the final battle of the series. And unlike Lilah, Amanda really wasn't that central to the story, so she didn't need more closure.
    And as long as the deaths are well-written, I really don't care how many deaths there are.

13. Athena

Black Thorn
    Agreed on Lilah, disagree on Amanda.

Guy: Fair enough :)
  14. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

I think the "viewer/reader on your side" argument means you want people invested in your story and characters so that when you do have a big death (such as Joyce and Tara), the audience actually feels that loss alongside your characters. If you start killing off all the favourite characters, people will turn on you and draw back because why bother getting invested in a character that is only going to be killed off at some point.

Considering everyone was lukewarm towards the potentials at best, killing off the more likeable ones (Amanda) and leaving the more stuck-up ones alive (Kennedy) isn't going to endear them towards the audience.

Jenny's death worked well because it served a purpose within the story (it shows that Angelus is not Angel and Buffy has to stop thinking that and deal with the threat before more people get hurt) but Jenny wasn't what I'd call a fan-favourite. She was liked enough that her death was treated with shock rather than cheers (which is what Kennedy's hypothetical death would get) but not a favourite enough for people to get mad over it, likewise with Joyce and Tara. They're liked enough for the audience to be sad about their death but not to be up in arms about.

Amanda wasn't a fan-favourite but she was one of the more likeable potentials. For her to die and Kennedy to live is annoying.

Slayerofslayers likes this.
  15. Slayrunt

Slayrunt Oh ho! Aren’t you Mr. Dicey Semantics?

I think the way the potentials treated buffy was annoying for me. And yeah maybe if there had been less of them. And just more likeable in general.

DeadlyDuo likes this.
  16. Guy

Guy Scooby

Black Thorn
    1) Joss never "killed all the favorite characters". When the show ended, we still had Buffy, and Willow, and Xander, and Giles, and Faith, etc...
    2) Since MOST of the characters don't get killed, there's no reason to NOT get invested. After all, most chances are that your favorite character WON'T die.
    3) Even IF all the characters eventually died - why shouldn't you care about a character just because he/she eventually dies? Joyce eventually died, but she's a fantastic character, and her death didn't make me any less invested in her or in the show. In fact...
    4) Deaths actually make me MORE invested in stories. When no one ever dies, the stakes feel low, and the conflict feels insignificant, and it's hard for me to care about what happens. When people die, I become that much more invested in the story. No to mention the fact that deaths always force the remaining characters to suffer through grief, and grieving characters are usually more sympathetic for me.

Well, I liked Kennedy and Vi just as much as I liked Amanda.

Um, are you saying that Jenny, Joyce and Tara weren't that important, but Amanda was? Seriously? Amanda was just another potential! One of the more likeable ones, sure, but still just another potential. It's not like I watched the show for Amanda. So...

[​IMG]

Gif from: giphy.com/search/off-with-her-head

Hunga Munga likes this.
  17. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

I never said Joss killed all the favourite characters, I was talking hypothetically in regards to the "viewer on your side" argument. If a show/writer is known for killing off favourite characters, why would you go out of your way to get invested in a character that is bound to end up dead sooner or later? The main characters in Buffy didn't drop like flies so when a death did happen, it had an emotional punch to it rather than just being another tally on the chalkboard.

Vi was ok, as was Amanda. I liked Chao-ahn but I HATED Kennedy (though that's not a surprise :p)

That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that whilst Joyce, Jenny and Tara weren't fan-favourites in the same way that Buffy, WIllow, Xander, Spike and Giles were, they were still well liked by the audience enough that their deaths had an impact.

Amanda was one of the more likeable potentials so it was annoying that she died but Kennedy (the potential who most people hated) got to live.

18. Zenseem

Zenseem Evil, skanky and kinda gay

Black Thorn
    I find season 7 too confusing when things should've been a little simpler. There were too many things happening at the same time and I felt a little overflown with so many details.
    I HATED the potentials. Maybe Amanda was the only one likeable.
    Buffy was acting a little non Buffy and was being kinda reckless.
    The whole crazy Spike thing felt a little nonsense to me.
    I'd like to see more interaction between the original scoobies.
    There wasn't enough Faith to me.
    Anya's death (what was that???).
    Plus that way too soon and way too forced relationship between Willow and Kennedy.

And one other thing that would work is making The First appear as Willow (she kinda died for sufocation in the halloween episode) or Buffy and try to tear the group apart or lead them to a trap. I found this on tumblr and it got stuck in my head. It makes sense to me, at least.

black cat and DeadlyDuo like this.
  19. Xanderectomy

I actually appreciated Anya's death cause it made the battle feel much more important (tho i would've preferred if Andrew had died instead.)

20. Zenseem

Zenseem Evil, skanky and kinda gay

Black Thorn
    It felt too out of nowhere to me and nobody really cared about her death even though she was important to the Scoobies (at least it seemed like)