1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

How To Make Season 7 Better.

Discussion in 'Season 7' started by Xanderectomy, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    I know they had a lot to cram into that last episode, but I really felt there should have been some reaction to Anya's death....
    Apart from Andrew (who was there) only Xander seemed to even notice she was missing & even he didn't exactly seem all that upset.

Yes, they had just fought a major battle against incredible odds, but you would think they would care a little bit that someone who
    had been such a part of their lives for years had not made it....?

2. Zenseem

Zenseem Evil, skanky and kinda gay

Black Thorn
    Exactly where I was trying to get. I mean, she was part of the scoobies for about 3 years and no one seemed to care about her

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  3. Xanderectomy

Xanderectomy Professional Procrastinator

i think that was likely due to the fact that there were only 5 minutes of the show left after her death.
    but i do think they should've done something in the comics atleast.

4. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Scooby

Technically, they were still in shock and processing (and Willow had a high from her spell that probably left her buzzed, she said she could feel Slayers awakening everywhere). But I've had some fun with the end scene in my head, like the way they smile, it's almost like Buffy is thinking "no more smart mouth Anya calling me on my BS" and Willow (where she smiles as she looks to Xander) thinking "I've got another shot with Xander!" Again, that's just me having fun with that scene in my head.

That was sweet of Andrew to tell a lie that made someone else look good besides himself. I got the impression Xander realized it was a lie, but was grateful for it (still like he might cry at any time).

GwenRaiden: Hahaha
    Bluebird and GwenRaiden like this.
  5. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    Anya's death was the culmination of all she lost by turning away from being Anyanka for the second time. Halfreq was killed horribly, she had no one to go back to and D'Hoffryn's statement "From beneath you it devours" was proven true.

cryptwarmer likes this.
  6. Riderofapocalypse

Riderofapocalypse Potential

Number one thing i would change about season 7 would be The First. It was a a let down comparatively to what it theoretically could do. When that potential killed herself because the First kept talking to her, it showed me the emotional and physiological warfare it could wage. Imagine all day, every day, one of your most loved relative's or friend who passed on now constantly telling you horrible things. OR imagine the First Evil pulling an 'Ace Ventura Part 2' and constantly making noise and sounds in your ear for hours. This entity could literally annoy you to death, as it did that potential.

Secondly, mention something about the uber vamps that came out of the Hellmouth in the final episode, being under powered in some way. Because the non super powered Scoobies beat the living sh.. out of them.

Potentials - Honestly the idea of having them train and fight is stupid, to me anyways. Yes you have to round them up and protect them. And yes trying to teach them to defend themselves is a good idea. But these are uber vamps and ninja monks were talking about here. Not muggers and rapists in a dark ally. Maybe if we saw more potential on bringer action, it wouldn't bug me so much. But the idea of mostly teenage girls who look like they never hit the gym a day in their lives, (sorry Potential Amanda. I loved you're war-cry, but my dog has more muscle mass than you.), going in the mouth of Hell to do anything other than to surrender themselves is something I wouldn't even dream of. But, i admit that the final battle once all the potentials were activated was pretty cool. Minus Spike's 'Kame-ha-me-ha, I win, Batman Amulet'. I would have had most of them guarding the halls rather then in the Hellmouth. And have Giles and/or Wood with the Scoobies in the Hellmouth.

'Kame-ha-me-ha, I win, Batman Amulet' - the nick name i gave Spike's last act in Buffy S7 speaks for itself.

Willow - I would of had Willow replace Spike's 'Kame-ha-me-ha, I win, Batman Amulet' performance. After Willow unlocked the power of the Slayer Scythe, have her turn halfway dark willow and just lay blankets of fire and flame on the uber vamps. Have Willow be the reason why Sunnydale formed a giant sink hole. Hell, have Spike use the amulet to recharge Willow to sacrifice himself. Anything to show Willow's badassery, and erase Spike's last act in Buffy S7

Xander - I personally liked what they did with him. He was the perfect sympathetic figure.

Dawn - THE most under utilized character in all of the Buffyverse. A once magical bundle of energy, powerful enough to open portals to other dimensions....and Willow or Giles didn't even teach her how to throw a fireball? She casts some sort of banishment spell by herself, and nobody thinks 'Hey, she's a scrawny teenager that probably shouldn't be fighting hand to hand. Maybe we should teach her how to use defensive magic to defend herself with at the very least?' I would of had Dawn in the Hellmouth launching lightning and fire until she feinted.

Andrew - The guy can summon the monkeys from the Wizard of Oz....but you give him a sword and pair him with Anya? Why don't you just kill him and put him out of his misery? How he survived is beyond me. I love his comedy, but the fact that he lives and Anya dies leaves me scratching me head. Along with how well Anya fights.

Spike - I can't comment on him since i am biased. I hate his character ever since he fell in love with Buffy. With him, i'd have to go back several seasons to change his role through out the entire season 7.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  7. Zenseem

Zenseem Evil, skanky and kinda gay

Black Thorn
    That would've been so cool

8. Taake

Taake Tweedledee Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Am I the only one who cared about Quicksilver?

How about bringing back near gosh every darn character who dies? Writer thing or Joss thing? :p

As for season 7
    a) NO TRIGGER for Spike. You've had enough plotlines, settle down. Stop trying to make "fetch" happen Joss. (in this case fetch is Spike :p)
    b) Ugh, preferrably no Potentials.
    c) More Dawn. Let her do something, anything.
    d) Buffy and Xander
    e) What riderofapocalypse said about Willow, that would've been cool.

Geobubbles and DeadlyDuo like this.
  9. Guy

Guy Scooby

Black Thorn
    Well, I care about him more now, when I rewatch the movie. Probably because 'Civil War' made me really like Wanda, and her grief over Pietro really gets to me now. But when I initially watched it... Not so much. We should have gotten more time with him before he died. Also, I didn't like his accent... (specifically, I hated the fact that Pietro and Wanda talked in english WITH EACH OTHER. I mean, I understand why they talk in english with english-speakers, but why didn't they speak in sokovian with each other?)

I did like the fake-out with Hawkeye, where they make you think he's gonna die, and then kill off someone else. I just wish that that someone else had a more powerful death scene, initially...

Oh, definitely a writer thing. Specifically, a long-term-serialized-storytelling thing. Comics, TV shows, cinematic universes - they all bring back dead characters all the time. And Joss actually kept a lot of characters dead - Jenny, Joyce, Tara, Jonathan, Doyle, Cordelia, etc...

Taake: Good point about them speaking english with each other. I really fell for his character though :)
  10. Dora

Dora Potential

1The characters of Buffy, willow,Xander and Giles did not need to be killed off season six had already done that
    2 See above we had invested in their characters
    3 See above above the Character's had already been sacrifice on the alter of Spike
    4 We cared what happened...... JW did not he had finished with Buffy as a TV show at the end of season 5

The post question was how to make season seven better, I thought it started well up to and including talking With dead people except we did not need to see Spike from the start , I presume after TWDP is when Marti Noxous came back from having a child. I did not really have a real problem with the potentials or faith coming back, Wood , Cane was great. The first could have been more in your face and there should have been some consistency with how hard to kill was the uber vamps . Was Dawn still not the Key? could her energy have been used to kill the uber vamps though Willow some how ? Why was Giles acting like a plank, could we have not seen the real Giles The final battle was I thought rushed and should have been done over two episodes , but I guess they were lucky to be able to fit it in at all amongst all the irrelevant Spike stuff . What was missing and would have made season 7 great.... was the Joss whedon of seasons 1,2,3,

11. PreferSpike

PreferSpike Townie

Yep. And remove all the pesky Angel stuff. Well he can still show up. But she tells him she loves Spike and he leaves. :)

Priceless likes this.
  12. Geobubbles

Geobubbles Can I play with the puppy?

Black Thorn
    Maybe get Willow to use the scythe to make all the potentials slayers earlier than right in the middle of a battle? I know it was cool and all, but they weren't exactly on a time limit. Willow could have performed the spell, they could have been all slayers and then Buffy could have taught them how to use their slayer powers for a few months. It would somewhat justified kinda maybe how they were able to take on so many uber vamps if they had been trained a bit before hand.

13. Blair

Blair Vamp Blair

Sineya
    I agree with Anya's death scene being rushed. I felt no emotion when she died (which usually I'm a crier when anyone dies) Just the whole scene was too quick.

But yes, Dawn should of been utilized more. Would of made far more sense for her to be a Potential seeing that she's a carbon copy of Buffy.

I liked the Potentials arc. I think it could of been written better though.

14. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

I think Dawn being a potential would've made the potentials arc more accessible as you are then getting to know theses new characters through Dawn instead of them being just there. However, this could potentially mean more screen-time for Kennedy and I don't think anybody really wants that.

15. Blair

Blair Vamp Blair

Sineya
    Exactly, and I probably would of liked the Potentials more (I liked Amanda and Vi though) I didn't mind Kennedy too much. Who knows? If Dawn was a part of the Potentials we might of seen a better side to Kennedy?

16. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

I reckon it would've made Kennedy come across even worse especially in that scene where she calls Chloe "maggot".

17. nightshade

nightshade Watcher Staff Member

Black Thorn
    I think season 7, needed a different plot line. The scoobies should have been the focus, they should have dealt with the repercussions of season 6. We saw the start of that with Willow and Giles ut they should have also shown Buffy, Xander and Dawn dealing with it all. I think they could have made Caleb into a good villain without the First.

sosa lola and DeadlyDuo like this.
  18. Dora

Dora Potential

I thought season seven started well With some episodes like selfless standing out , and Spike taking the rocket launcher from Buffy hilarious, the Spike I like . Chosen was just to rushed should have gone over two episodes and I understand JW wanted it to but the studio would not fund another episode,. Giles was the Father figure the glue that held the scoobies together Giles leaving Buffy in season six was what finally pushed Buffy over the edge, well they brought him back in seven a complete prat, Dawn was lovely ,Xander had nothing, apart from a talk to Dawn and having his eye poked out and we dislike him more for not seeming to care about Anya,s death, Willow had token parts, the potentials could have been good ,but the acting and the accents was terrible ( if you need English girl actors then hire English girl actors ) Principle wood I felt was good, Andrew should have died in Chosen for killing Johnathon, Sarah playing the first (as with the Buffy bot) showed off Sarah brilliant acting talent.Faith should have come back sooner ( perhaps pairing faith and Spike and Woods and Buffy would have made the season work ) Conversations with dead people is one of my favourite episodes of Buffy , the song then Buffy conversation, typical Joss at his best After CWDP it went down hill.....it became no longer about Buffy her friends and her mission it became about Spike, we were no longer watching Buffy the vampire slayer, we were watching our hero fawn around after a demon who had tried to rape her, While the Core four had nothing it all became about Spike Spikes chip , how Spike became a vampire, Spikes trigger making him kill again, can any one believe that Giles, Dawn , Willow and Xander would take Faith side against Buffy and throw her out of her own house!!. It continued to the character assassinations of the core four, all so Spike could ride in and save the day with a Riley speech, where Riley's speech gave Buffy the strength to stop Spikes abuse , Spike speech gave Buffy the strength to get the scythe, would this not have previously been a scoobie job ! I believe that seven like six needed a lot more season one to five Joss input and a lot less Marti Noxious I don't mean the horrible kinky sex he instigated in six

Last Watcher: Agree totally :)
    sosa lola and Last Watcher like this.
  19. Antho

Antho Scooby

I do not like the scene where everyone puts Buffy out of her home. Characters are all OOC. I have the unpleasant sensation that scene exists just to isolate Buffy and allow Spike to do his wonderful speech ! Seriously, Spike (and Spuffy of course) is the only character who is glorified at this moment and sorry but for me Willow, Giles, Xander and Dawn didn't deserve to be treated like this !

So I think Spuffy should have been developped without impact others character's psychology !

sosa lola: YES! That's why I hate Empty Places/Touched!
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  20. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

An alternate Season 7 story line that might have worked would be to have had Faith come back to Sunnydale at the beginning of the Season instead of Spike, then have Spike return (maybe after helping get Angel's soul back in Los Angeles) Ditch the whole idea of the Potentials. Maybe have someone serve as a love interest for Willow, but things would gone just as well, or better, without her.

Bring Spike in a couple of weeks prior to the mutiny, just to get everyone used to him having a soul, and pretty much go back to the story as Joss planned it from that point on, with possibly Faith wearing the amulet and being a regular on "Angel" for Season 5. (That's assuming, of course, that Eliza would have done that instead of "Tru Calling.")

Last Watcher: Oh yeah, that would have made s7 better alright!!!! :)