1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

How Was Wesley's Constant Presence At The School Explained?

Discussion in 'Season 3' started by Agent Z, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Agent Z

Agent Z Townie

With Giles, he's still the librarian, but what excuse did they come up with for Wesley being at Sunnydale High all the time? I don't recall him ever being stated to be working as a member of school staff.

2. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

I always assumed assistant librarian.

Puppet likes this.
  3. Fool for Buffy

Fool for Buffy "I wanna see how it ends"

Sineya
    Faith hung out there a lot and nobody said anything. As did Billy Fordham who was not enrolled there. And demons came on school grounds fairly often. It seems the administration didn't care who was in the school.

4. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    I don't remember Synder ever coming in contact with Wesley. So my guess is that if he did pop in the library, Giles would just be like, "Oh yes, my um, friend is visiting me from England." Or something. I was always curious why everyone was at the school late at night? It's not locked up? There's no security? So yea, I don't really question Wesley or Faith being there, cause seems like no one pays attention to whats going on at the school anyway.

5. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

The whole thing with having the school library serve as an after hours hang out for the gang, not just Wesley or Faith being there when they really had no business being there, was probably the worst plot device in the entire first 3 Seasons. I could never manage to suspend my disbelief enough to accept how someone wouldn't have found out about it all and put a stop to it by the end of the second or third episode of Season 1. Add to that, Giles' cache of supernatural literature and artifacts, plus a small arsenal of edged weapons and one tranquilizer gun, and we are definitely well into the realm of unlikely fantasy, here, but, come to think of it, is the very essence of Buffy in the first place.

I'm just curious as to where they stored that rocket launcher.

AnthonyCordova and Fuffy Baith like this.
  6. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    I could believe that the library might be open until about 5pm, so students can study and do research for school assignments. But at like midnight or sleeping overnight in the library, no. Is there no accountability in Sunnydale? Probably not. lol. I could believe that maybe Giles would have like a key to the school, but it's like, the doors are never locked. The Scoobies just walk right in! In the middle of the night! It is a little hard to believe. But it's all fantasy so we have to suspend our disbelief a bit. Wesley being there is just another thing. Although the writers maybe could have made him like a teacher or something? Since Buffy still goes to (most) of her classes.

AnthonyCordova likes this.
  7. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Scooby

All I can say at the moment is that most people probably didn't look too hard because it was safer not to. Sunnydale Syndrome didn't mean they were utterly clueless, but rather in serious denial, and their subconscious minds would direct them to look the other way as often as possible. (That would be in addition to all those who were grieving, traumatized, and stressed out as a result of the deaths, and worse, of those they knew so even if they did notice, they just couldn't find it in themselves to care.)

The Watchers are supposed to be the masters of bureaucracy, however, so I figured the Watchers arranged it somehow, probably with some bribes to the school board (in which case Snyder would have no choice but to allow Wesley around, unless he was willing to report it to the Mayor and the Mayor was willing to do something about it...and it seems more strategic for the Mayor to have him at the library rather than some unknown place).
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 30, 2017 ---
    I'm more curious WHY the school security (didn't seem to be cops) would LOCK THEMSELVES IN a room at night in school, and not even turn the lights on (during the trade with the Mayor, Willow for the box, in which Snyder wondered why they couldn't be dealing drugs like normal people). For a TV show it looks cool and all, but if my brain is even on just a little bit then I realize just how all kinds of stupid it is. Still, that's one more police report (over the death) that I'd like to see, though the Mayor would exert what influence he had with the police on that report.

Speaking of which, even though I'm sure the Mayor wasn't the only one to exert undue influence on the Sunnydale PD, I'm sure he'd have at least a few under his thumb who could trump some charges up...planting drugs on someone the cops don't like, or even just happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, is a time honored cop tradition, though I never heard of it being done to a blonde high schooler before. It's conceivable the Mayor realized the Watchers may exert their own influence to make prosecuting a case highly unlikely--but it could get the Slayer out of the way for say the Ascension...and even framing Willow (whom the Watchers are less likely to act on behalf of) could get the annoying computer hacker out of the way so she can't help the rest of the gang, as well as forcing the Scoobies to divide their attention and becoming demoralized.

8. Agent Z

Agent Z Townie

I'm pretty sure Faith was stated to be a student.

9. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    Faith stated she had dropped out of school in Boston, probably before she even became a Slayer. She then bailed in a hurry when 'Kissing Toast' started gunning for her so I doubt she would have even considered letting her old school know she was leaving. Again I doubt she would have been too keen on enrolling in a new school, even if Giles had suggested it.
    I don't know how US schools work, but I doubt you could just rock up to a new school & be taken in with no records from a previous school available?
    Any how....we never saw Faith actually go to any classes......in fact she seemed more intent on getting Buffy to skip classes to hang out with her.....

10. WillowFromBuffy

WillowFromBuffy "My bowling shoe fetish is not the issue here."

No, she wasn't, but no-one is going to question the presence of a teenager at a high school.

11. Taake

Taake Bella Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Aren't they? Guess it depends on how big the school is. Sunnydale doesn't seem to be massive so it seems likely that at least one teacher would ask about who she was at some point. But it might be that was just never got to see that.

12. WillowFromBuffy

Its big enough that some students turn literally invisible. ...not that that would ever happen to Faith.

13. Taake

Taake Bella Staff Member

Black Thorn
    But that didn't have anything to do with size, just people ignoring Marci completely, I don't think it had to be a large amount of people doing it. That does speak for the incompetence and carelessness of the teachers though.

14. WillowFromBuffy

Like you said, it is easier to be ignored in a big place than a small place.

15. AlphaFoxtrot

AlphaFoxtrot Townie

Eh, by the time Wesley shows up in “Bad Girls, the story’s focus is the Mayor’s Ascension, and most of the school elements recede into the background. I mean, they do all the commencement stuff, sure, but you don’t hear a lot about homework, or curfew or exams. I’m sure if he showed up in season 1,2 or 4, which are the Masquerade heavy seasons, they would give him a cover story, but by that point in the series, it wasn’t really emphasized.

Puppet likes this.
  16. Living Dead Boy

Living Dead Boy Joss Is A Very Flawed Boss

Black Thorn
    I can do a five page essay about the inconsistencies of the show. In real life, there couldn't be an excuse for Wesley. I'm just glad he didn't use "I'm here to watch girls" as his speech to the superintendent.

thrasherpix and Puppet like this.
  17. AnthonyCordova

AnthonyCordova Apocalypse Engine

Sineya
    File it away under the many things in Buffy that it would be pointless to search for realistic reasons for, because there aren't any. Buffy had crater sized holes sometimes. Somehow, the show is one of those that doesn't suffer for it.

That said, the conversation you guys are having is interesting to read....the degree of holes.

18. caitaintdead

caitaintdead caiters gonna cait

Black Thorn
    Wasn't it made clear at a few points throughout the show (The Watcher's Council having the ability to revoke Giles' citizenship perhaps?) that The Watcher's Council had an incredible amount of power and pull? I always assumed that was how Giles got the job as the librarian in the first place. I can suspend disbelief that Wesley was put on the books by the council as 'assistant librarian'. I can believe that Faith would go unnoticed. All of the weapons were locked away, right? Perhaps he stated that it was for aiding in history lessons?

Here's a strange thing. Because Australian schools are so so so different from American schools it is easy for me to shrug it off as 'that's just how it must be in America'. I always kind of thought that maybe American schools were open all the time. It sounds stupid when I type it out, but a part of me always thought that! At my high school, the library was locked at 3.30pm, and gates locked by 4pm.

19. WillowFromBuffy

Which they use exclusively for threatening and killing off slayers. Never to help :p

20. caitaintdead

caitaintdead caiters gonna cait

Black Thorn
    Precisely. Whedon used The Watcher's Council as a statement about the patriarchy - primarily using the power they were born into for controlling women as opposed to actually getting their hands dirty and attempting to change society.

WillowFromBuffy likes this.