1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Hypothetical Situation

Discussion in 'Inside Out' started by DeadlyDuo, Mar 17, 2017.

1. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

Inspired by @CharlieGunn1 's recast threads.

Hypothetical situation. A Buffy reboot is happening and YOU have been given full creative control of it. You can cast whoever you want (so long as they're still living), you have whatever budget you want and you can tell whatever story you want.

The only stipulations the network makes are:

• The characters are all named the same (though characters with gender neutral names eg Riley can be gender swapped if you see fit).
    • The story must be set in a town called Sunnydale.
    • The show should not be a scene for scene remake of the original series.
    • Original actors cannot be used (though a cameo is permitted as a nod to the original series so long as it is not story relevant eg a role as an extra).
    • The show must be set present day and is not a follow on to the original series.

What do you do?

2. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    Hire Joss Whedon......... :)

HowiMetdaSlayer and DeadlyDuo like this.
  3. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    Fire Joss Whedon......... :)

DeadlyDuo: Lol
    HowiMetdaSlayer: Oh snap!
    HowiMetdaSlayer and DeadlyDuo like this.
  4. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    I would look at the threads within this forum and see what people have suggested should happen in place of what did happen on the original show to eliminate some of the lameness.

I would write a show bible and make sure every episode follows it. No continuity errors, no OOC characterizations.

Cellphones, the internet and social media would be introduced into the story. No more pagers.

The episodes would contain similar stories but not necessarily in the same order. Some of the standalone episodes would be radically changed or replaced.

5. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    This. This times infinity.

Carrie Hopewell likes this.
  6. fauxindigo

fauxindigo Townie

Honestly, I think I would hate for new actors to play our favorite characters. The only other girl that I ever thought would be a great Buffy is Hayden Panetierre. She's the perfect mix of sweet and sass needed for Buff.

[​IMG]

7. Robberator

Robberator Townie

Idk why, but the more I see of Felicity Jones, the more I can imagine her as a new slayer. I think I'd give Sarah Michelle a vamp role in the first episode, like Darla's. 1. Fanpleaser 2. Like the original Darla, she could return from time to time in flashbacks. Plus J. K. Simmons as The Master. Please.

8. CharlieGunn1

CharlieGunn1 Ready for battle...

We'll starting from scratch?

I'd make it a soft-reboot sequel.

I wouldn't want to completely disregard the amazing canon Buffy has going for it. I'd bring in SMG back and give her a role similar to Giles in the original series.

There will be no Spike and no angel, but there might be call backs sprinkled throughout the series.

9. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

I think the trick would be for the new actors to do their own interpretations of the characters rather than trying to copy the originals. I'd cast Abigail Breslin as Buffy.

I'd start the series where Buffy is out of high school (because it then makes the later established Bangel relationship legal) but has yet to be called as the slayer. She works in a department store alongside Willow, Xander, Cordelia, and Oz (a place where the characters are forced to interact with each other within the environment, much like high school). Buffy, Willow and Xander are already friends. Anya and Tara would join the department store when Cordelia and Oz leave/get killed off. Initially Buffy and co are unaware of the demon side of things until Buffy gets enlisted as a potential slayer (haven't worked out how yet) and has to go through training. On her initial assessment of skills, she fails terribly. All the potentials get assigned a personal Watcher. Buffy gets Giles. Buffy also makes friends with the actual slayer who then ends up getting killed, thus Buffy, through no controllable means, get chosen as the next slayer. The previous slayer's death also hammers home to Buffy just how dangerous the actual slayer gig is and she doesn't want it. Unfortunately she has no choice in the matter and is informed of this.

I'd expand the Watcher side of things. They'd be a secret organisation that trains potential slayers and monitors demon and vampire groups to ensure they don't become threats. The slayer would get sent in when the threat is deemed too much of a risk. I'd also include a mixture of female and male watchers and senior officials (it is 2017 after all).

One of the groups being monitored by the Watchers is The Whirlwind. Fortunately for the Watchers, they have a secret operative within the group, which is Angel (because he has a soul). They've tried to take down the Whirlwind before, but as it resulted in two dead slayers, they've decided just to monitor and track the group and do their best to limit the damage they cause eg staking any newly sired vampires. Angel has to be sneaky around the rest of the group to avoid suspicion though he does get a couple of close calls where he is nearly found out.

Buffy develops an attraction for Angel (and he for her) but she doesn't quite understand just how difficult and dangerous a position he's in so she makes a stupid mistake of actually going to see Angel at the Whirlwind's place. Angel manages to usher her out but gets caught by Drusilla. Angel lies about who Buffy was which seemingly placates Drusilla, but when she later mentions Angel's "new friend" to Spike and Darla, they start being suspicious of him.

That's all I can think of so far.

Ethan Reigns and Slayerofslayers like this.
  10. Anyanka Bunny Killer

Anyanka Bunny Killer Jotunheim

Black Thorn
    Buffy

a0299b62b75a6734779f838fdd2e19af.jpg

Giles

a1747520cb2cd82e1f248b7d35079d84.jpg

Geobubbles likes this.
  11. HowiMetdaSlayer

HowiMetdaSlayer Occasionally, I am callous and strange.

I think if it ever happened, I think it should be more of a re-imagining. As far as casting. Hmmm... I think that Deadly Duo's idea of Natalie Dormer for Drusilla was ingenious! Maybe Saoirse Ronan as Buffy or Willow. I think that Millie Bobby Brown would make a good Buffy in a few years.

DeadlyDuo likes this.
  12. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

I've been trying to think of who I would cast as who and this is what I've got so far.

Buffy- Abigail Breslin
    Xander- Nick Robinson (Older brother from Jurassic World)
    Giles- Jason Isaacs
    Spike- Tom Hiddleston
    Drusilla- Natalie Dormer
    Darla- Lara Pulver
    Angel- Tom Ellis
    Joyce- Jodie Foster

I have absolutely no clue who to cast for Willow, Cordelia, Oz, Anya, Riley or Tara. I've got a few ideas for Faith and Jenny.

13. Anyanka Bunny Killer

Black Thorn
    Drusilla - Rooney Mara
    Faith - Mila Kunis
    Joyce - Sarah Paulson
    Darla - Kate Bosworth
    Dawn - Molly Quinn
    Cordelia - Ashley Greene
    Willow - Katherine McNamara
    Spike - Brian J. Smith

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    HowiMetdaSlayer likes this.
  14. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

Mila Kunis has such a distinctive voice though. Every time she speaks, all you'll hear is Meg Griffin.

15. Anyanka Bunny Killer

Black Thorn
    I disagree. She's an actress, and I'm sure she could sound differently. That's part of the job description...besides, if we're discussing a hypothetical reboot of the show, there's no law that states she'd have to sound like Eliza's portrayal of Faith.

16. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

That's her natural speaking voice. I've seen her in some movies (Ted, Forgetting Sarah Marshall) and she uses the same voice. I'm not saying she needs to sound like Eliza's Faith, but she needs to not sound like Meg Griffin.

17. Anyanka Bunny Killer

Black Thorn
    I'm sure that people who haven't seen much of Mila's work would accept her wholeheartedly as Faith. She is a competent actress, and her voice is just fine.

18. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

I think people who haven't seen Family Guy would accept her as Faith, but for those that have, you'll be hearing Meg every time Mila opens her mouth.

19. Anyanka Bunny Killer

Black Thorn
    Oh?

Indeed.

DeadlyDuo: You are correct. (Would still be hearing Meg Griffin though) :-P
    GwenRaiden: There's ALSO the fact that lots of people refuse to watch the shamefully unfunny shitshow that is Family Guy.
    GwenRaiden likes this.
  20. YummySushiPJs

YummySushiPJs Scooby

I don't know this is but I love him already and demand to know his name at once. :D

Anyanka Bunny Killer: I didn't see this post :(