1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

I hate how Kennedy just forced herself on Willow and invited her self into group!

Discussion in 'Season 7' started by Benz, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Benz

Benz Townie

I hate Kennedy so much as hate way she forced herself into Willow bed and into group.

What gave her right to be in group meetings unlike other Potential Slayers!

2. Priceless

Priceless The Badship Spuffy

I've never been a big fan of Kennedy but I recently watched the first ep Kennedy appeared in, Bring On The Night and I have to say she just comes across as a confident, flirty girl. She likes Willow, is attracted to her, and her flirting is actually quite sweet, as is Wills's reaction. I don't think at this point Kennedy knows anyting about Tara or how that relationship ended, so she can't be blamed for flirting with Will, and even if she did know, so what? I'd hate to see Willow celebate and mourning forever.

As for forcing herself into the group, she appeared to be the oldest potential, the most confident, the wealthiest, all of which set her apart and add to her 'privilege', plus she became Willow's other half. I have much more of a problem with Andrew being included in the group meetings than Kennedy

Blaze, The Bronze, DoktorRock and 3 others like this.
  3. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    Yes to her pursuit of Willow, because it revealed things about her personality/attitude that I found unpleasant to be honest. It all screamed of insensitivity and entitlement. I began as flirty but then there was that dismissive attitude towards Willow's interests and so forth. Meh.

No to being concerned for her own life and voicing her opinions because of that. Even though I think she was a bit mouthy, at least she wasn't meek and/or whiny.
    She had a stake in things (as she saw it) and wanted her views heard upfront; she was just that kind of brave, forthright character.

Obviously her becoming more prominent links the first with the second- being Willow's girlfriend she thought she had a BIGGER voice than that the rest- equal to Xander and Giles even, but that lasted until about 'Touched' when Faith deflated her a bit.

And look at it this way, it didn't last. Kennedy was never anything like Tara or Oz- a key part of the group after S7, whether that was Willow's doing or Buffy's she didn't become a Scoobie.

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  4. Monkey Pants

Monkey Pants Bored Now

Black Thorn
    Kennedy in no way forced herself into Willow's bed or the group. She was simply there for Willow, was there for her and supported her when she went back to magic, supported to her when she found about Tara, let Willow know she was interested and let her make her own decisions. Willow decided for herself that it was time to try to move on. And talking about forcing herself into "the group", this isn't a high school clique (anymore). It's a group of people trying to stay alive. And, as she was one of those people, and actually had a lot of experience and good ideas, she had as much right as anyone to voice her opinions. What, is she going to get killed just because she's to scared to speak up? No. Jeez. She was a feisty, sweet, brave, supportive, independent person.

People simply hate for coming after Tara, and that's really it. She was a better person than Spike, Faith or even Willow, and was less annoying than Anya (sometimes). I love all of these people, but the hate is simply unjustified.

Guy: Anya is awesome, but otherwise, I agree 100% :)
  5. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

I think that the entire Kennedy/Willow relationship was way too rushed, and much too soon after Tara's death for many people to ever have accepted it. It's almost like Joss was trying to get someone "there" for Willow just because he didn't want to have to show her mourning Tara.

jellokitty likes this.
  6. Monkey Pants

Monkey Pants Bored Now

Black Thorn
    I know a lot of people feel this way, but Willow met Tara 4 episodes after Oz left (in which she was devastated) and met Kennedy 13 episodes after Tara died.
    And I was super glad not to see Willow mourning for the whole last season, like haven't we seen enough pain?

Guy: And we DID see Willow mourn for Tara! Like, a LOT. Visiting her grave, talking to her through evil!Cassie in 7x07, blaming herself for moving on in 7x13, etc...
  7. Priceless

Priceless The Badship Spuffy

Willow mourns Tara continually, and will do for the rest of her life. Joss maybe didn't want to show it, but I think most of the audience realises that's what happens when someone you love dies. But that doesn't mean Willow has to stop living. Kennedy might not have been perfect, but she likes Willow and if feels like that's all Willow needs at that point.

Blaze, DoktorRock and Guy like this.
  8. Athena

Athena Tweedledum Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Now, I hate Kennedy, but I feel like for the first time in my life I have to defend her here and say she never forced her way onto Willow or into the group. It's never going to happen again, so take it in people. :p

Kennedy was overly confident when it came to romancing Willow and once her and Willow became an item, she was automatically then 'part of the group'. It was never forced, it was just part and parcel of being Willow's chosen significant other.

Blaze likes this.
  9. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

I despise Kennedy. She is on par with Scrappy Doo and Jar Jar Binks in terms in terms of how irritating she is.

She's a bully. She treated Chloe awfully just because she couldn't keep in time by calling her "maggot" then making her do press ups. Kennedy then even gloated about what she did. The First even brings it up as a reason why Chloe committed suicide. Not forgetting that Kennedy was OLDER than Chloe.

I always felt that her pursuit of Willow was forceful. She just constantly seemed to be pushing Willow to reciprocate even when Willow didn't feel ready. I also disliked how, in the scene where Buffy is about to be kicked out, Willow stands up to say something and Kennedy ROUNDS on her and tells her not to defend Buffy.

I wish Kennedy had been one of the potentials killed.

10. Blaze

Blaze Let it Burn

Black Thorn
    As a big Kennedy fan, it's kinda nice to read a thread with so many positive replies about Kennedy :p That doesn't happen too often!

I can't add much but say that in no way did Kennedy force herself onto Willow. Everything about the relationship was consensual, and people seem to forget that they actually did end up being in a long term relationship. Not only that, but Willow was the one that ended the relationship, and was the one that cheated. And that is after Willow asked for them to be monogamous. So clearly Kennedy is not the one at fault here. In my eyes, Kennedy has lots of faults (as do any good characters), but she was a pretty great girlfriend that was willing to work on the relationship, and improve herself for that relationship.

DoktorRock, Guy and Carrie Hopewell like this.
  11. The Bronze

The Bronze Rogue Demon Hunter

Black Thorn
    She was forward with Willow and a little pushy. I think she'd have a job trying to force Willow to do anything she didn't want to do and would likely regret it soon afterwards if she did manage it. So that's a non starter for me.

As for generally being in the group I think that was more prominent after she got with Willow but it was mostly because she was hands down the most useful potential. When I was re-watching Season 7 there is a noticeable drop in quality when the potentials arrive but I was surprised to see Kennedy was clearly the least offensive. She wanted to fight, survive and pull her weight.

She was unpleasant in Empty Places but that whole episode was pretty much a disaster for everyone who opened their mouth. She's not a favourite character by any stretch but she's not on Rona's level of badness either.

VisionBoy and Carrie Hopewell like this.
  12. LeeJones41

LeeJones41 Townie

I never understood the hatred of Kennedy. Was it because she wasn't Tara 2.0 or because she wasn't Tara?

What was so bad about Rona? I never understood the hatred toward her as well. Because she was sarcastic in her opinion about Buffy? Buffy and the Scoobies were equally guilty toward those who irritated them. Was it because Rona had failed to blindly worship Buffy? I don't get it. It was okay for Buffy to question the Watchers' authority, but it wasn't okay for Potentials like Kennedy and Rona to question Buffy's?

13. Buffy Summers

Buffy Summers Yataro Staff Member

Sineya
    I think maybe it has to do with people who really didn't know what they were talking about acting like they did.

:)

ChaseRules, jellokitty and thetopher like this.
  14. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

Why do people hate Kennedy? Let me count the ways.... via the ABC

A is for Annoying
    B is for Bully
    C is for Callous
    D is for Dreadful
    E is for Excruciatingly Unlikeable
    F is for Full of crap
    G is for Ghastly people skills
    H is for Head up her own backside
    I is for Irritating
    J is for Jumps on someone when it look's like they're about to disagree
    K is for Killed a potential through bullying
    L is for Loathsome
    M is for Mouthy
    N is for Nasty name calling
    O is for Obnoxious
    P is for Pushy
    Q is for Quarrelsome
    R is for Real pain in the arse
    S is for Self-righteous bitch
    T is for Too opinionated
    U is for Unpleasant
    V is for Vile
    W is for Won't take no for an answer
    X is for eXtremely needed to be taken down a peg
    Y is for You better agree with her or she will turn on you
    Z is for Zero thought for other people's feelings

Rona's acting was wooden.

PreferSpike: Hate Kennedy! And not just because she isn't Tara.
  15. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    I hated how Kennedy kept on bringing up and then dismissing Willow's recent painful past- hawt. Every time she mouthed off about 'big, bad Willow'...urgh.

DeadlyDuo: Kennedy's pursuit of Willow was probably the worst thing about her because she showed a complete disregard of Willow's feelings on the matter.
    AnthonyCordova: lol that hawt comment
  16. Buffy Summers

Sineya
    When she told Buffy she wasn't even the most powerful person in the room? Blech.

jellokitty, DeadlyDuo and thetopher like this.
  17. Blaze

Blaze Let it Burn

Black Thorn
    I guess all of those things are subjective, because I disagree with 90% of this. I just don't get the "too opinionated" (how is being opinionated a bad thing), or that she's full of crap (give me an example where she was?).

Was she cocky? Yes. Did she admit that herself, yes. She has faults, but she's nowhere as bad as people make her out to be.

Monkey Pants likes this.
  18. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    To me it felt like a writing choice to make Kennedy the opposite of Tara because they didn't want it to come across like they were replacing her. Tara was a kind and thoughtful soul so the contrast to that is a brat, imo. But in saying that, I have way less of a problem with Kennedy now. I think Iyari done a good job with what she had.

Rona on the other hand is reprehensible lol. Almost all of her lines were her whining about Buffy not being able to protect them. Go away, then.

brittles and The Bronze like this.
  19. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

Being opinionated is one thing, it's healthy to have differing opinions, being opinionated to the extent that Kennedy was is quite another. Kennedy always HAD to have her say, regardless of if there were other people in the room with their own opinions. Kennedy always had to make her opinion heard and f somebody didn't agree with her or look like they were going to disagree, she would round on them quite aggressively. She did this to Willow.

As for full of crap, she was like this in general, but an example would be where she's leading the training session for the potentials. Already by her general body language and attitude, you can see she thinks herself above them. She deliberately humiliates Chloe in front of the others by calling her "maggot" and making her do push ups all because Chloe couldn't keep in time then she goes up to Robin and is proud of this like it's some sort of achievement. Buffy even said during the actual training session that you should follow your instincts and do what feels right to you. Yes Chloe didn't keep in time, but if speed wasn't her forte then doesn't it stand to reason that she would come up with an alternative way to deal with vampires and demons that doesn't rely on speed. Kennedy was trying to force her to do something a certain way.

brittles and jellokitty like this.
  20. Buffy Summers

Sineya
    That part was incredibly annoying. It's like, "Who does this girl think she is?" But then again, it is in character if Joss made her the stereotypical super wealthy, superior-feeling teen.