1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

I like the episode "First Date" how about you?

Discussion in 'Season 7' started by cryptwarmer, Sep 21, 2016.

1. cryptwarmer

cryptwarmer I'm in charge of morale!

Black Thorn
    It's that time of year, when I try to find something good to say about...things that I don't overwhelmingly love, like S7. But it has its moments and its eps!

I really like First Date. Spike is adorable, (yeah, that's about all it takes for me). People address relationships, and their significance or lack thereof , given the circumstances.

The story moves forward. Buffy has that line about something being the best thing she's ever put into her mouth. Xander winds up in the hands of another demon.

I don't often hear people discuss this ep. Is it a throwaway to most folks? Do you love it, hate it, or just endure it because you're a hard core fan?

brittles and PreferSpike like this.
  2. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

I remember the first time that I watched this episode being disappointed and a little annoyed at the fact that Principal Wood was obviously going to turn out being on Buffy's side, rather than being an agent of the First Evil. (Well, he might have wound up being the First's pawn in a the plot to kill Spike, but that's just part of one of my conspiracy theories, nothing canon) I have nothing against the character, per se, it's just that it was pretty obvious that there was going to have to be someone or something brought in as the First's general, someone who Buffy would eventually get to have a big fight with, and he seemed to be the most obvious choice. Then Caleb showed up a few episodes later and screwed up my whole theory.

Anyhow, I liked this episode if for no other reason than Buffy's line, "Because I'm not ready for you to not be here," when Spike volunteered to leave, and not just because it was, to me, a Spuffy-defining moment. I couldn't help but think of how simple and true that statement would be for anyone when faced with the possibility of losing a loved one. (Ol' soft hearted White Avenger, that's me)

3. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

I like the fact that Buffy admits that Spike being chipped was wrong. Spike tackling Giles and Giles trying to communicate with Chao-ahn (I think that's her name) is funny. The First berating Andrew on setting the microwave clock and its reaction to the cross is also amusing. The First has some good moments when it talks about trivial things and does sarcasm like that.

brittles and cryptwarmer like this.
  4. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    Yes this is pretty much a one off episode in the middle of the "potentials/first evil" plot. Which would be fine, if this was a good episode. Like the Dopplegangland or BBB of the season. But it's not. I always like seeing Buffy dating, and I like her conversation with Willow. I like when Willow gets the text from Xander and she's forgotten the code. I think it's funny cause I'm convinced Xander sent it meaning he was going to get some (probably when she asked him to take his shirt off?) and that Willow mistakes it, only to turn out to be right. Also Giles with the scary flashcards to Chao-Ann. Everything else I don't really care about. Ashanti as the demon??? Plus we already did the Xander has bad luck at dating women in the second episode with that girl. Here it's just played for the "demons are attracted to Xander" joke. Meh.

cryptwarmer likes this.
  5. GoSpuffy

GoSpuffy Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer

Black Thorn
    Love this episode, like @white avenger I find it to be a "spuffy defining" episode.

"Why does everyone in this house think I'm still in love with Spike" very Freudian.

Also very funny with Xander thinking going gay will get him human dates but Buffy telling him it will only get him gay ones. The car ride with Wood, Buffy and Spike is also very funny.

And when Xander and Spike are injured in the basement and Buffy runs to Spike and Wood realizes how deep their connection is.......oh be still my spuffy heart!

6. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

I don't like the episode mostly because it was supposed to be a Xander-centric and they wasted a Xander-centric episode on yet another Xander-attracts-demon storyline when the writers could have used that episode to focus on all the loose ends in Xander's character development that was sadly solved behind the screen.

cryptwarmer and Fuffy Baith like this.
  7. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    If it was suppose to be Xander centric then it got over shadowed by Buffy dating principal Wood and finding out he's not the first evil but a child of a slayer. Poor Xander. I wish they would have given him one last proper centric episode before the show ended.

Taake likes this.
  8. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

The last Xander-centric episode was Hell's Bells. That's the saddest thing ever.

Fuffy Baith: Yea it really is.
    Fuffy Baith likes this.
  9. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

I noticed Amanda appears to be wearing the blue turtle neck that Spike stole from Buffy and got Harmony to role play in. At least I think its the same one, it looks like it but I can't find pictures.

10. Taake

Taake Tweedledee Staff Member

Black Thorn
    The biggest reason I really dislike this episode is
    [​IMG]

Actress or writing, I'm not sure but everything about her appearance is terrible. It was like watching one of the later seasons of Charmed when it had really gone down hill. *cringes*
    To me, beyond the horror of Ashanti, there is nothing memorable about the episode.

Mr Trick, brittles and Fuffy Baith like this.
  11. GwenRaiden

GwenRaiden AKA Apology Girl

Black Thorn
    You're forgetting this moment! :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Carrie Hopewell: Gross. I didn't remember that at all actually.
    Forever Spuffy: That was great.
  12. Taake

Taake Tweedledee Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Haha, yeah, I can live without remembering that moment

13. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

I think my favorite moment in the episode was Buffy, Xander and Willow eagerly talking about their dates.

Fuffy Baith: S7 lacked those Scooby moments
  14. Forever Spuffy

Forever Spuffy shiny beads and sweet talk

I really liked it. The Scooby moment, somethings eating Xander's head, Andrew describing Buffy's underwear to the first (I like Andrew), Anya not being able to make up her mind about Xander's slut eating him up, Giles's drawings, gay me up Willow (Captain Archer, lol) both big Spuffy moments (school basement and on the couch). The Spuffy scene in the hallway is so sad. You can tell it's hurting them both. And Spikes expression when she walks away brakes my heart. He wants her to be happy even if it's not with him. For me an overall fun episode with some YAY moments.

cryptwarmer: That expression on his face...wow. It kills me. What a bit of acting there
    PreferSpike likes this.
  15. brittles

brittles Scooby

Sineya

Why was she cast in this show at all? So random and horrible...
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 23, 2016 ---
    This episode has some small nice moments for me. In particular the moments between Spike and Buffy where we really see how much she's grown to care for and rely on him. Wood is somewhat annoying to me probably only because he's a new character trying to come into the scooby gang and date Buffy while poor Spike just looks on as it's happening. The whole thing with Ashanti and Xander is a major thumbs down. (Hand to forehead) why is she in this show?! I do agree that this story line was somewhat of a waste for Xander's character. I would have liked to see him working out something more important rather than going on a random rebound date with this random character. We all know he's a "demon magnet" at this point. Why drive the point further? Eh didn't love or hate the ep. More of a filler between good ones.

16. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Not seen it for ages so will wait for the next re-watch. Its kinda cool them focusing on Buffy and Xander getting back onto the dating ladder. But yeah don't remember it being that great.

17. PreferSpike

PreferSpike Townie

I liked this episode because of all the Spuffy and the overall comedy.

-Spike tackling Giles and Giles finding out about the chip. "You can't fight evil by being evil."

-that conversation in the hall broke my heart. "You think I still dream of a crypt for 2 and a picket fence" And then the comedic ending of fences being dangerous. His face when she walks away, we know he wants her to be happy even if its not with him

-why does everyone think i'm STILL in love with Spike? STILL, she said STILL!

- Buffy running to Spike in the basement to check on him and wood looking all angry

-Xander wanting Willow to gay him up

-You've never had something this good in your mouth, cuts to Spike

-Giles' flashcards and yelling at them for dating

-that awkward and hilarious car ride - "we work together!"

-"I'm not ready for you not to be here." Be still my Spuffy loving heart - and then he asks how the principal fits in and she says nothing. Tell him Buffy! Say something!

This episode wasn't crucial to the overall plot but it was funny and great for Spuffy fans. I think it moved their relationship forward.

18. brittles

brittles Scooby

Sineya
    I like this episode too. It's not one of my all time favorites but I do appreciate the moments it gives us. One of my favorites is when buffy is sitting on the couch and spike sits there with her and she tells him that she's not ready for him to not be here. I wish this moment would have ended with them snuggling or something :) I do love this interaction between the two of them though. So much good tension and much foreshadowing for the snuggling that does ensue in Touched :)

Priceless and PreferSpike like this.
  19. Puffy

Puffy Think like a proton and stay positive

THIS! :)

Good episode at all. But overall I am ok with season 7. It feels a little bit "rushed" but I guess thats only because SMG "I quit". So they had to do something...

20. Dora

Dora Potential

Some funny things in this episode and some that made the story progress ,Woods mother coming back. Xander dating a demon was already worn out, but his line of gay me up willow, the fight with the girl demon was poor, and Buffy running to Spike before seeing to a injured Xander was the real trouble with season seven , Xander had nothing , Giles acted a complete prat and Apart from the odd episode or odd part Willow was non existence while the rest of the season was dedicated to Spike. After CWDP it became all soap opera will Buffy and Spike bonk ,I think MN must have returned from having her baby because it all became about Spike, a half hearten attempt by JW to bring the Scoobies back together in Chosen ( going to the Mall , the world is definitely doomed etc ), did not make up for the crap writing and poor show running that basically showed MN obsession with JM and Spike to the detriment of the show

Last Watcher likes this.