1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

I started to watch S1 today !

Discussion in 'Season 1' started by flow, Jun 17, 2017.

1. flow

flow Male Vampires are stupid. Throw rocks at them

Hello everyone,

as I have mentioned before I haven`t watched BtS in a chronological order yet.

I was interested in the series after I randomly watched an episode in english on a flight earlier this year. After that I watched some fanclips on youtube and decided that I wanted to see all Spike-centered episodes. Thus I ordered DVDs of seasons 5,6 and 7 and became addicted. I got myself seasons 2,3 and 4 and watched only those episodes with Spike in it.

Now I decided to be more open minded and finally got myself S1. I started watching it today and have to say - to my own surprise - that I Xander was the most likeable character.

I am really looking forward to the rest of the season and maybe I will just continue with a rewatch of the whole series in chronological order.

flow

sosa lola: Xander love karma!!!!!
  2. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    Chronological order is generally good because episodes tend to build on what has happened in the past. But there are enough standalone episodes in Season 1 (as in Season 2) that you don't necessarily find the story incomprehensible if you miss something. Spike does not appear in Season 1 but that doesn't mean the stories are less interesting. You get a feel for the variety of monsters a slayer has to confront and how the scoobies were formed.

Puppet, AnthonyCordova and flow like this.
  3. Stoney

Stoney Spiked!

I saw the series in chronological order and always watch it like that. The show is just so progressive for all the individual characters, I really do think it is better watched that way. Plus, there isn't actually much of the show that Spike isn't in, and S1 and S3 are enjoyable regardless. I'm sure you'll love watching it in order. :)

4. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    You may want to watch Buffy interspersed with Angel at the beginning of Season 4 of Buffy. There are crossovers and at least one trailer at the beginning of a Buffy episode shows the Angel Investigations building. There was quite a lot of watercooler talk when the show was current as to whether the Buffy or the Angel episode for the week was better. Angel won a surprising amount of time.

Puppet, Smile Time and Stoney like this.
  5. Stoney

Stoney Spiked!

In my current rewatch I'm doing this, watching the 'sister' AtS episode after the BtVS one. I'd been told there were thematic ties between them and it is proving interesting to watch for and consider these.

6. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

I've always preferred high school Xander over later seasons Xander.

What was your favorite episode?

TriBel, Puppet and flow like this.
  7. Nix

Nix Queen of Coffee!!

Sineya
    OMG you guna love love love it <3
    Enjoy your watching :)

flow likes this.
  8. Priceless

Priceless I am now

I hope you enjoy it. I loved S1 when I first saw it, but the following seasons were so much better that season 1 seemed creaky and lame in comparison, but now it makes me so nostalgic, I can't help but love it. What are your favourite episodes?
    Are you onto season 2 yet?

flow likes this.
  9. Fool for Buffy

Fool for Buffy "I wanna see how it ends"

Sineya
    I thought season 1 was fantastic the first time that I watched it before I was exposed to the show's true potential from season 2- on. Then came "School Hard" in season 2 and it was amazing and never looked back.

Puppet, flow and Priceless like this.
  10. flow

Thank you ! I just started S1 and have only watched episode 1 so far. I hope to get on to episode 2 and maybe three tonight ;-)

flow

11. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    I love, love season 1. Be sure to document your reactions if you can :)

flow likes this.
  12. Miditron

Miditron A man with a Seabreeze

Season 1 is amazing. I love the cornyness and buffy's wit in that season!

Puppet likes this.
  13. HowiMetdaSlayer

HowiMetdaSlayer Occasionally, I am callous and strange.

So I'm not the only one who didn't start at the beginning. :) I watched a couple episodes from mid-season 2 with my mom, before going back and then watching from the start. :oops:

flow likes this.
  14. flow

Hi guys,

I have negelcted watching S1 a little bit in the last week, due to too much work and too less time. But I am now through with episode 1-5 and I wanted to give an update on my thoughts.

I am still impressed with Xander. He is good looking, witty, likeable, brave.... and knowing what happened to his best friend Jesse I can now understand, why does so strongly object to Buffy dating vampires. I have already forgiven him for going after Spike with an axe :).

Willow was a little bit colourless for the first couple of episodes but she is really gaining on me now.

The Master looks as if he has gotten cookie dough all over his face and urgently needs to see an orthodontist. He is not the most convincing Big Bad of all times.

Giles is Giles and I like him very much.

And now.....Angel. Well. I have always liked him although I am a die-hard Spuffy. I think his character is as complex and thus as intersting as Spike`s character.

But honestly.....Xander the normal guy with no particular strength, no weapons, no skills and no experience accompanies Buffy when she tries to save Jesse whereas Angel the vampire with super strength, super senses, two centuries of fighting experience, knowledge about the enemy they will have to fight and about the location as well tells her he cannot come with her because he is afraid ?

I need an explanation, please!

Amy suprised me as well. I like her a lot and I feel she has been treated badly in the later seasons.

Oh, and does anyone else think, that Owen is a pre-Riley ?

flow

Puppet and Stoney like this.
  15. Stoney

Stoney Spiked!

Well they are often trying to keep the mystery around him a lot in S1 and one of the easiest ways is to keep some distance between Angel and the others. It isn't always logical and sometimes is hard to justify when he could have been more help for sure. But in the specific incident of going to find Jesse, Angel is avoiding being revealed as a vampire by the other vamps, so perhaps 'that' is what he is referring to being afraid of and is avoiding really.

I think perhaps an effective way of thinking about the first season for Angel is to consider it as a time of real uncertainty for him on how he should help and how he can integrate/interact with Buffy and the others successfully. How Angel feels separated from them by his nature and how he tries to avoid facing some of the truth with Buffy/the gang is all in there. Trying to balance his vampiric side, the urges for violence/blood at the same time as looking for some acceptance with a group of humans is somewhat new, difficult and awkward for him. He is pretty isolated really and trying to work out as he goes what he should/shouldn't reveal to them. He wants to be helpful but not reveal truths about himself which might get him rejected too, and therefore stop him being able to help.

flow:
    Puppet, Mylie and flow like this.
  16. flow

Thanks a lot for your insight. I always think of Angel as the AtS season 5 Angel who is a leader, a fighter, a strategist.....but of course his story arc does not start with him being a champion. I will therefore patiently wait for the development of his character ;)

flow

Puppet, Stoney and Carrie Hopewell like this.
  17. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

This is why I'm always confused when people say Angel didn't really grow or evolve and that he's a stagnant character.

Puppet, Stoney and Carrie Hopewell like this.
  18. flow

Hi,

I wanted to give you an update on my thoughts:

I have now made it to episode 9 (The Puppet Show) and I am really suprised at how good S1 is.

"The Pack" was a of course kickback for Xander as a character but he still is amazing. He saves Giles and kills the demon in "The Puppet Show" almost on his own. By the way, I really liked the idea of the dummie being a cursed demon hunter.

I am sorry but I have to say that the Master is ridiculous as a Big bad. He is constantly yammering about everone letting him down, he is not even capable of leaving his cave and his scariest weapon is a spoiled child.

Darla on the other Hand would have made a fascinating Big Bad. I don`t understand why she got dusted this early in the season.

I`m looking forward to the last three episodes !

flow

Puppet, Stoney and Priceless like this.
  19. Stoney

Stoney Spiked!

Ah, the last three are great. Nightmares is a personal fave of the season but the last two are the strongest of the lot imo. Enjoy!

Puppet and Mylie like this.
  20. flow

Hi @all,

I wanted to let you know that I have finished my watching of S1 finally. It was really great. i am glad I did it.

I loved that Buffys fear was about being turned. And I also loved that Willow feared most that she has to sing on a stage. That foreshadowed Once More With Feelings in such a nice way. And I could finally see Angel becoming more of a hero.

I am going to watch AtS S1-S4 next !

Flow