1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

I think Restless should be two parter?.

Discussion in 'Season 4' started by Benz, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Benz

Benz Potential

Who agrees?.

2. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    I don't.

Blaze likes this.
  3. GwenRaiden

GwenRaiden AKA Apology Girl

Black Thorn
    I think it was fine on its own as one episode. It's actually one of my favourite episodes because of the foreshadowing and revealing kafkaesque moments for the characters. Two episodes worth would have been too much.

AnthonyCordova and Fuffy Baith like this.
  4. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    Yeah, I think it said all it needed to say in one episode. It would have been a waste of an episode if it had dragged over into two......

5. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    It's great as one episode. My only change would be to cut down Xander's dream a little bit to give more to Giles and Buffy's dreams. But other than that I love the episode the way it is.

6. Blaze

Blaze Let it Burn

Black Thorn
    Restless constantly scores my #1 or #2 top spot for best episode (you know, depending on my mood). I think what makes it so great is how different it was compared to everything else. I think you'd lose that novelty if it was 2 episodes. And like others said, I'm not sure they'd have had enough material for 2 episodes.

Fuffy Baith: Bad Girls? lol. Now I want your list of top 10 eps! lol
  7. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    What's the other episode? lol. For me, it might be the best episode of season 4 (I know, I know, but I'm not a big Hush fan). I don't think it would have made sense to have it as a two parter, because the characters are actually asleep the whole time. That would be a bit weird if they start sleeping in one episode and don't wake up until the end of the second.

What they could have done if they wanted to make it a two-parter, is reveal the First Slayer as threatening the scoobies in their dreams. But then it's like well how do you open the second episode? So I think it's perfect as one episode, just a few minor things I'd change, and some of it is just due to actors schedules. Like I'd have Cordelia sitting in the classroom making fun of Willow's outfit as a call back to season 1. lol. But for a one off episode it packs in a lot, and it's great rewatching it and catching new things. I think it's brilliant.

Blaze: The other episode changes even more :P But right now it's Bad Girls
    Last Watcher likes this.
  8. Benz

Benz Potential

Reason why I wanted two parter two include more characters like Faith/Jonathan/Amy/Hank.

They try getting Anger and Cordelia in episode but they were unable due to busy filming Angel and they thought about having Jenny in Giles dream instead of Olivia.

9. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    The typical episode is 43 minutes long. They got the timing right here - do you really want two episodes with a total of 86 minutes of dream time? The show is about the core four. We are aware of the background of all the characters - when Xander dreams about Snyder, we already know who he is. If another dream sequence is needed, putting it right after the first one would cause the viewer to wonder if the show was still on. The other thing is, we don't know what actually motivates a character like Faith - we would see an entire background but it wouldn't make any sense because it would involve characters and places we have never seen before. The other good flashbacks in the show are about Anya and Halfreq, the Whirlwind (Angel, Darla, Spike and Drusilla) and Spike and his mommy issues. As for Johnathan, Amy or Hank - who cares?

10. AnthonyCordova

AnthonyCordova Apocalypse Engine

Sineya
    I also like the episode's length as it is. @Fuffy Baith and @Blaze funny how we all are alike on this one: for me, Restless is #1 in season 4 and only behind The Body and, depending on my mood, the Gift for best episode ever. Most days it is 1-The Body, 2a-Restless 2b-The Gift. Then after that episodes like Hush, which for me is top ten somewhere

Fuffy Baith: Great minds think alike ;) lol
    Blaze and Fuffy Baith like this.
  11. Fool for Buffy

Fool for Buffy Neutered vampire who cheats at kitten poker

Sineya
    It's a truly brilliant episode but it's not like they could've done much more with it. Like others have said, Xander's Dream should have been shorter. But there wasn't much else to add. However I have read that they tried to get David Boreanaz, Charisma Carpenter, and Larry Bagby III for this episode. Had they been able to get all of them perhaps it could have been extended a little, but still not a two parter.

Athene likes this.
  12. Athene

Athene Scooby

Yeah a number of characters were rumoured to have originally meant to be in the episode.
    Buffy Wikipedia said this:

• It was rumored this episode was to guest star many past recurring characters. Willow's classroom dream was to feature Larry Bagby III(Larry), Charisma Carpenter (Cordelia), and Elizabeth Anne Allen(Amy). Robia LaMorte (Jenny Calendar) was to be pushing the baby carriage instead of Olivia, followed by having Phina Oruche (Olivia) crying in Spike's crypt. Eliza Dushku (Faith) was going to appear in Buffy's bedroom telling her to "be back before Dawn," while David Boreanaz (Angel) was to have appeared in the desert as the voice of the First Slayer. Unfortunately Joss Whedon was only able to recruit Seth Green (Oz), Mercedes McNab (Harmony), and Armin Shimerman (Principal Snyder) to return for this episode.

Carrie Hopewell: Such a shame!
    Fuffy Baith: That would have been great!
  13. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

I knew it!!! I knew Anya's lines in the classroom scene in Willow's dream were meant to be for Cordelia!!!

Such a shame Joss couldn't bring all these characters. :( I especially liked the part about Jenny pushing the baby carriage.

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  14. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    Always wondered why Tara featured so heavily in Buffy's dream........Faith & Angel would have made a lot more sense.
    Faith had appeared in Buffy's dreams foreshadowing Dawn before (This years Girl), it would have been nice continuity (& of course, more Faith!).
    Angel turning up in the desert just after Riley had told her she is on her own would have been interesting.....and of course he would have been standing in bright sunshine......

ok, now I want to see restless how Joss originally intended.

Edit: Thinking about it.....Would The First Slayer really have used a Vampire as her voice...an ordinary human was strange enough?
    Wouldn't she have used Faith as her voice.....Faith being the only other Slayer alive......?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    Athene likes this.
  15. Athene

Athene Scooby

@Last Watcher I thought it was odd for Faith to not be featured in restless (apart from being mentioned). We've seen Buffy and Faith share dreams many times before yet she's not in the episode that focuses on dreams. I think that Tara was fine being the narrator in Buffy's dreams but it didn't mean anything to me because I don't see a connection between Tara and Buffy that makes Tara's role as the narrator interesting.

DeadlyDuo and Fuffy Baith like this.
  16. Joshua

Joshua Huge Spuffy Fan!

She was mentioned in Restless?

17. Athene

Athene Scooby

Yeah Buffy says "Faith and I just made that bed" which is a callback to their shared dream in 'This year's girl'.

18. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    They needed a second episode to hunt down the guy with the cheese slices.

We are told by Joss at the cons that the cheese slice guy was just a nonsense character that would only make sense in a dream, but look at the episode that came before that (Primeval). The core four characters joined together with Buffy for the spell that built up Buffy so she could bring down Adam. After sharing magical power, they became so close that you could expect a shared character in their dreams. Maybe like the spell that resurrected Buffy, additional magical beings as in "After Life" were created.

19. Living Dead Boy

Living Dead Boy Joss is Boss

Black Thorn
    I totally agree with @Blaze. The episode is so amazingly perfect on it's own, it honestly doesn't need a part two. And as far as the whole Tara as a mentor thing, I've come to see it like this. Buffy as a series does a lot of sly, cool foreshadowing, but sometimes it's unintentional. Restless was sort of the transitional episode, showing us what came before, and giving us clues to the future. Besides the obvious ones (be back before Dawn), we had the Anya bit "I've been thinking about getting back into vengeance", now fast forward to the end of Hells Bells. The Giles and Spike exchange "Spike's like a son to me", Tabula Rasa anyone? So, to me, Tara's role in Buffy's dream sort of foreshadows her role in Buffy's life after that episode. From her being the only one that's been through what Buffy's been through in The Body, to her role in season 6 as Buffy's only confidant about her relationship with Spike. "You think you know what you are, what's to come, you haven't even begun". And Tara was right there, quietly rooting Buffy on until her death. Sorry. I kinda love Tara. :p

DeadlyDuo and Priceless like this.
  20. RomanticSoul

RomanticSoul I AM GROOT

I found it extremely weird because all the Dawn forshadowing always came through Faith's dreams. Graduation Day and TYG are both Faith's dreams and in the former Buffy enters Faith's dream. To have that suddenly changed into Tara in Buffy's dream didn't make much sense. It always made sense that Faith would get the Dawn forshadowing since she was the then current holder of the slayer line. And since Tara was the stand-in for the first slayer/slayer power that stand-in should have been Faith. If for no other reason than continuity.

Blaze, Carrie Hopewell and Athene like this.