1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

I think Restless should be two parter?.

Discussion in 'Season 4' started by Benz, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Athene

Athene Scooby

That's what I thought too, everything that foreshadows Dawn is linked to both Buffy and Faith. They made the bed for Dawn in their shared dream which I always interpreted as meaning that Dawn has a part of both Buffy and Faith in her. It makes sense that they originally planned for Faith to have the 'Be back before Dawn' line but since Eliza was busy I guess Tara had to do :)

2. RomanticSoul

RomanticSoul I AM GROOT

I don't think the dream in TYG with them making the bed was a shared dream since we get no indication from Buffy that she was in it. We flash to Faith right after the dream but there is nothing that hints at Buffy having also been in it. Either way in both cases it's Faith's dream that forshadows Dawn. But even Angel would have made more sense than Tara as Buffy's guide. Tara as the guide was one of those WTF things in Restless only because it made no sense. I would love to know why they didn't use Faith because I can't imagine Eliza was too busy doing other acting jobs at the time.

3. Athene

Athene Scooby

I think they thought that Tara was the best candidate because she's sort of spiritual. But I don't think it was the right choice because she was nothing to do with anything that she was talking about so I didn't find her that engaging :D

'Bring it on' came out in 2000 which would have been when season 4 came out so maybe Eliza was busy filming that. As for Angel, I would have found him much more interesting than Tara in the desert scene.

I thought that Faith's dream in 'This year's girl' was a shared dream because while it obviously was happening in Faith's head, Buffy references it in 'Restless' in her dream so she must have some sort of understanding of it.

Carrie Hopewell likes this.
  4. RomanticSoul

RomanticSoul I AM GROOT

I think it doesn't work for me because if the first slayer is trying to communicate something to Buffy in order to get her to do something, then she would chose an avatar that actually is connected to Buffy emotionally. So it would have to be either Faith or Angel. Or if we are talking spiritual then it should be Willow instead of Tara.

If it came out in 2000 then they probably shot it early 1999 when they would do the last episodes of Buffy S4. She must have went to shooting that around the time of her Angel S1 episodes.

But there is no indication that Buffy shared the dream in TYG. She would have brought up Faith in her dreams but Faith doesn't become a subject until Buffy gets the phone call that Faith is awake. And even then she isn't like 'damn, so that was a prophetic dream I had the other day'. Faith literally wasn't on her mind until she was already out of the coma.

And in Restless Buffy only mentions making the bed but doesn't know for whom and thinks Tara is there to tell her for whom. Faith in her dream already said 'little sis'. So it's more like that Buffy mentions it because the first slayer is involved and she would have a connection to all slayers (including Faith) so it's something that suddenly pops up for Buffy rather than something that comes from a former dream she had. Buffy also doesn't see the 7:30 (referring back to the GD 7-3-0) on her clock as having the wrong time, Tara points out that it's wrong. So it's more like Buffy suddenly gets the forshadowed stuff from Faith's dreams via this spiritual journey.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    Carrie Hopewell likes this.
  5. Athene

Athene Scooby

I guess so, but then Faith doesn't remember giving Buffy the secret to killing the mayor either when that happened in their first shared dream. Maybe it's a subconscious sharing thing.

6. RomanticSoul

RomanticSoul I AM GROOT

I don't think the killing of the Mayor actually came up in that context again after, so I don't think we would know for sure either way if Faith remembered. We see Buffy kill the Mayor in Faith's coma dream but that was more about how Faith sees Buffy as this killer persona. But IMO if Buffy was part of that dream at the very beginning of TYG we would have been told at some point during the episode. But Faith wasn't on Buffy's mind until she got the phone call. So that's all I can conclude from what we have seen. Plus even in that first dream it's the Buffy killer persona with the knife. Buffy was herself in her shared dream with Faith in GD.

7. Athene

Athene Scooby

Yeah it is possible that Faith does remember but I feel like that would have had a bigger impact on her. Surely she'd be showing a lot more guilt for basically telling Buffy how to kill the mayor, even just subconsciously.
    Obviously Buffy remembers what Faith told her, and I think that's why she was willing to help Faith at first in 'This Year's Girl.'
    It's all very confusing about who actually knows what, like obviously Faith doesn't consciously know about Dawn and when Buffy's going to die, but Faith in the shared dreams does so it's certainly confusing.

RomanticSoul likes this.
  8. RomanticSoul

RomanticSoul I AM GROOT

'Confusing' is a good word for it IMO. Dreams are always weird to begin with. But when you throw in the realm of the magical/mystical then things get really weird. And who knows what or who shares a dream or not is almost impossible to pin down. I have the same problem with the Buffy/Angel dreams of S2 and 3. But that's also just another reason why Angel for example would have made more sense than Tara since we have seen him before in a dream guide role.

Athene likes this.
  9. Athene

Athene Scooby

Exactly, the characters who have had important dreams with Buffy should have been in the episode about dreams :D It would have made sense.

RomanticSoul likes this.
  10. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

I understand the idea about someone like Angel being involved in one of the dreams. But when Angel branched off into his own show bar the cross-over the two shows and their storylines needed remain apart. At this point the writers were still trying establish Tara as a core part of the show, and she was dating Willow. It made total sense to me than Tara was involved in Restless. And no I don't think it needed to be a two-parter. Think it was great the way it was:)

Priceless likes this.
  11. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    There wasn't enough material for a two-parter, but what a lot of people would have liked about extending this episode is that this is the only episode where Tara is allowed to look good.

Blaze: No way! Tara always looks good!