1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

If Riley Hadn't Left....

Discussion in 'Season 5' started by white avenger, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Foxy

Foxy I am cookie dough!

Sineya
    I would loved to have seen Riley grow and lose his ego and coming back to fix it all. It could have been an amazing story arc where Buffy and he had to rediscover their love for each other. I think it would have played very nicely along Buffy starting to grow up.

This could have happened in season 6. Buffy is back from the dead and depressed...and is in a loving relationship where she doesn't feel it anymore. Then an opportunity for her to find herself again.

Let me be clear on one thing. I am not a big fan of Riley but it would have been the only chance of a healthy and mature relationship for Buffy.

...and it would have prevented Spuffy from happening!

Taake likes this.
  2. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

There's always the possibility that, if Riley had stayed in Sunnydale, he would have fallen back on his weakness for vampire prostitutes. That being the case, either by accident or the intent of some evil blood sucker, he could have been turned, resulting ultimately, in Buffy staking him, unless Angel or Spike did it first.

3. Fenrir

Fenrir Potential

Would at least clear the goblin things out pretty quickly. Kinda wish the Knights of Byzantium used modern weapons. Could've been Blade-style. Bonus points if the bullets are consecrated somehow. Should still be different enough from the taser heavy Initiative. The whole 'now here's a medieval army' never made sense. Anyway, drifting off track. I like Riley, there' be no Spiffy, Spike is therefore cleared to be de-neutered, (maybe to become an enemy on Angel the Series instead), and Glory just gets her tower destroyed with an air strike as a load of commandos swarm in. Dragons vs F-16s! Or whatever an appropriate plane would be. Speaking of which, why does Buffy never call for reinforcements? You'd think the government would give her an in-case-of-apocalypse phone to use. Especially come season 7 when an entire town flees.

Alternatively, Riley joins the Knights of Byzantium to either stop the killing of Dawn or because he becomes more greater good-esque and views Her as expendable.

Train induced ramble over.

4. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

I like those ideas, especially the Spike being de-neutered one (It would make more thematic sense to have the Whirlwind on AtS given their history with Angel).

As much as I would've loved to avoid Spuffy happening, I wouldn't want Riley and Buffy to continue their relationship especially given his controlling behaviour towards her in Season 5. Riley has no purpose outside of being Buffy's boyfriend so he wouldn't have had much to do if he did stick around.

5. TriBel

TriBel Potential

You're right - I hadn't noticed this (but then I rarely notice Riley)! Can I be really smug and make up for my inadequacies (which are legion :() by pointing out she's a manifestation of his mummy issues rather than the source? ;) It does make sense in terms of a) his conflicted relationship with Buffy and b) the vampire prostitutes.

6. flow

flow Male Vampires are stupid. Throw rocks at them

I think Riley`s boyfriend arc was definiteley over. There was nothing new to discover within that arc, thus they had to end it. And there was no way, Buffy and Riuley could rediscover their love because there was never love on Buffy side in the first place.

If Riley would have stayed, they would have had to give him a completely new story arc. Maybe he could have turned evil or even become a vampire. Or he could die to safe someone, but that would mean he left the show as well, just under different circumstances. And that would have been tragic, because we need Riley in S7 to fix Spikes chip-issues. As disturbing as his ultimatum to Buffy in S5 was, I will always give him credit for that !

flow

7. Priceless

Priceless I am now

I know I am in the minority here, but I do believe Buffy loved Riley. The problem with the relationship was that Riley did not believe her. It's happened in Spuffy too, in Chosen when Spike doesn't believe Buffy loves him. Because of his belief that Buffy didn't love him, Riley took a destructive path and even though Buffy would and could have forgiven him, it was too late.