1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Spoiler! Incredibly stupid Earshot theory I came up with

Discussion in 'Season 3' started by POTN, Oct 18, 2016.

1. POTN

POTN Townie

I was watching Earshot last night. The episode has always had some issues with flow for me. The switcheroo of Jonathan NOT being the murderer was cute but a little more clever than good. Buffy HAPPENS to overhear a murderous thought and on the day of all days that the murderer was going to do something Jonathan HAPPENS to have picked THAT day to shoot himself in the clock tower? To top it off, he picked a high powered scoped hunting rifle to do it with that is nearly as tall as he is? Not to get too graphic here but even if he tried to Full Metal Jacket himself I'm not sure he's reaching that trigger with his big toe. Not ONLY that but his behavior in the tower is SO anxious and erratic compared to his mellow song stylings the rest of the episode. Sure the thoughts Buffy read of his, expressed insecurity but so did everyone else's. It never sat well with me until last night.

According to this theory, there is a pivotal scene in the episode, where Willow interrogates Jonathan:
    WILLOW We all have fantasies that we're powerful, more respected. Where people pay attention to us.
    JONATHAN Uh... maybe.
    WILLOW But sometimes the fantasy isn't enough, is it Jonathan? Sometimes we have to make it so people don't ignore us. Make them pay attention. You know what I'm talking about, don't you?

It's a very odd scene, intended just to be humorous IF you ignore the switcheroo. As Willow says that second line the camera is moving in on Willow's eyes very deliberately and the music is suggesting something. SO...what if Willow (one of the future most powerful witches in the world) is inadvertently INFLUENCING Jonathan in this scene to act on his insecurities? Maybe, as Kenobi says, magic can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

This explains the utter impulsiveness of Jonathan's remaining actions. The inappropriate nature of his selected tool. The sweaty terrified behavior in the tower. The Scoobies search FOR the killer actually set Jonathan's actions into motion. Willow may have inadvertently spurred Jonathan into acting on his insecurities going forward. He then goes onto casting the spell for Superstar, and joining the trio...

...so...in THAT sense then. Perhaps Willow's actions (or latent Dark Willow's actions) had some part in setting into motion the dominos for Seeing Red and Dark Willow's release? I'm suggesting Dark Willow is latent in order to explain "Bored Now" in The Wish. And the theory FOR ME grounds another episode that I've always kind of had a problem with: The Killer in Me. The combination of the glamor and Willow's guilt over kissing Kennedy never quite justified (again, for me) the hurricane of drama in that final scene and Willow SO CLOSELY identifying herself with Warren (yes I get she also killed him.) But what if...some part of her felt this connection back to Earshot? That is not to say she was responsible for any of it. Warren was and Jonathan was ultimately responsible for the course of his own life. But guilt is a funny irrational thing.

For reference sake...yes this is all nonsense and no I don't think any of this was INTENDED...but I may have accidentally made it a part of my own headcanon. Thoughts? Totally stupid?

2. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    I think it's just another fannon excuse used to ignore the fact there was a lot of bad writing in episodes. I mean, look at I Only Have Eyes For You and it's the same thing. Alot of "just so happens" in that episode too. Most of the episodes have things that just so happen to happen at the right time. Xander just so happens to get a car for one and one only time when it was ever needed. Everything in Buffy just so happened because of bad writing.

3. HowiMetdaSlayer

HowiMetdaSlayer Occasionally, I am callous and strange.

In my opinion, that only really works retroactively, though. Since Joss & Co. weren't really doing much with the magic story line back then.

4. OccaQuokka

OccaQuokka My arse is not pansy!

Sineya
    I like it!

It does make sense to me - jonathans reaction after an interrogation like that is relatable.

5. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    It's a call-back to Go Fish I think. Not much else to it.

I mean, if Willow was influencing Jonathan's mind here maybe she influenced lots of other minds without meaning to?
    Plus when magic is used its almost always SHOWN to be affecting somebody, with swirly colours or sound effects and such. :)

Fuffy Baith and Carrie Hopewell like this.
  6. smgismyqueenjpg

smgismyqueenjpg The Ophelia

Black Thorn
    Admit it there are a lot of issues with this show. I mean there are a lot of plot holes.

7. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    More like plot gravel pits than holes. You just have to ignore and shrug off a lot of stuff.

8. POTN

POTN Townie

Of course there are. I have no denial. But it doesn't take away of the fun of head canon'ing though.

Head canon'ing is like a light form of writing fan fiction. Filling in the gaps with your own imagination. Expanding the universe collectively. Why not?

OccaQuokka likes this.
  9. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    The problem I have ran into with head canon is that people often forget that their head canon is not real canon- especially when it comes to 'ships- and begin to think of, and treat their head canon AS canon.

thetopher and RomanticSoul like this.
  10. RomanticSoul

RomanticSoul I AM GROOT

And when head canon is used in discussion as if it is actually canon, then discussions become every complicated.