1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Influx of new joiners!

Discussion in 'Check In' started by Last Watcher, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    Is it just me or have there been a whole lot of new faces appearing recently (Me included).
    The board I used to post on only had a few long term members left & hadn't had a new joiner (Except for the occasional troll) for months.
    This board though seems to be attracting new members like the board for a new show, not one that finished decades ago!
    The thing that made me comment is that we've had 4 (count em!) new joiners in the last 24 hours!
    LiamTheBloody91
    GlorificusGiles
    BuffyinFaith (nice username ;) )
    Dr Pepper89

Welcome to the Boards guys!!!!

PreferSpike likes this.
  2. Athena

Athena Tweedledum Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Yeah, I mean I've been here less than a year, but there's always a regular influx of new people coming on board and, to be honest with Buffy's 20th anniversary this year, and the related articles hitting the net recently and in the coming months, I would imagine there will be plenty more too.... ;)

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  3. The Bronze

The Bronze Rogue Demon Hunter

Black Thorn
    I feel like a veteran and I was late getting here. Always good to see new faces keeping the place alive. Shame some of the oldies are dropping away though.

4. Smile Time

Smile Time The Scattered One

Sineya
    I've been here for a couple of years already and almost every day I've been here, a newbie has joined.

I remember a period where a troll was trying to register to BB under many different names (all the accounts had a few things in common), just reporting them all so that the mods can stake them was exhausting.

This took place a while before one of the current moderators joined.
    It's totally normal, people loose interest and move on to other things, some of them even return :)

Speaking of people dropping away, I might be leaving BB for a while after my rewatch is done, don't know if I will actually do it. :(
    There should be a special podcast for the occasion with a discussion about the first 2 episodes of Buffy.

5. The Bronze

The Bronze Rogue Demon Hunter

Black Thorn
    Oh yeah I totally understand. Once you've got your initial points out had some questions answered and been through a few rounds of debates it's hard to keep the same level of interest and interaction. I've been more about the off topic stuff on here for a while because my re watch is nearly done and most of my Buffy points have been made in various threads.
    No you're not allowed to do that. The mods will lock you in somehow :)

6. Nix

Nix Queen of Coffee!!

Sineya
    Love it. New members are always great as they breathe life into old subjects and most of the time put a different view across. It's also great making new friends :D I'm more of a lurky gal than a heavy poster but I still love it here after a few years now :D So hello and welcome aboard.

Carrie Hopewell likes this.
  7. Athena

Black Thorn
    We are planning a special event podcast, can't say what it'll be yet but we want to make it commemorative :)

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  8. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    Yea I've noticed a lot of new people on here, and haven't seen as much for older members. But that's good it keeps this place going. Welcome all newcomers!

Blaze: Just admit it, you miss me ;)
  9. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

I have noticed though that you get people join and they never post anything which makes you wonder why join if you're not going to post?

I only joined last year and I was pleasantly surprised by how active this board was especially as the show had been off the air for over a decade.

Slayrunt likes this.
  10. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    I have noticed that new members dive right in without hesitation and contribute a lot of good thoughts. I suppose this means that some of them have been lurking for quite a while and finally got to the point where they had to express themselves. And that's good! We don't want people to think they have to "pay their dues" before they can offer their opinions or that they have to defer to older members.

Anyanka Bunny Killer likes this.
  11. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    Hah! No lurking here! I found this place (By accident actually) took one look at how busy it was, joined up & started posting right away....
    Though I have been a member of several other boards in the past so I kinda knew the drill.....
    There were just a few new (to me) features on this board that I'm still getting used to.

12. Slayrunt

Slayrunt Oh ho! Aren’t you Mr. Dicey Semantics?

I wasn't sure about making an account and posting at first because honestly I was shocked by how passionate people were, I've never been apart of something like this before so I had no idea.

but then I figure well if things get heated I can just log out. Better then a real life confrontation, running away from someone is so lame haha.

13. Athena

Black Thorn
    People are very passionate, but also on the most part respectful of others' views. This is actually a nice place to be, which is rare on the net :)

Guy and Slayrunt like this.
  14. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    It shouldn't get too 'heated' on here. I know there are one or two topics that people get somewhat, erm, passionate about but it's normally good natured.
    The Mods seem pretty good at calming things down if they get too carried away.... :)

Slayrunt likes this.
  15. Professor Walsh

Professor Walsh Feminist slayerette

Black Thorn
    I suppose I am an oldie to some, even if I feel new compared to those who set the standard for oldie to me. Interests wax and wane. Free time comes and goes. A lot of people who seem to be dropping away may well drop back in at times.

GwenRaiden: I don't miss those night feeds! Now it's just late nights trying to get a squealing toddler to sleep.
    Nix likes this.
  16. GwenRaiden

GwenRaiden AKA Apology Girl

Black Thorn
    I've dipped in and out of the board since I joined originally in 2008. I was VERY active when I first signed up. I think that's normal for here; it's all new and exciting, and because the members here are so nice and welcoming it's easy to make pals and have a laugh.

There's always been lots of new people joining, as far as I can remember. I mean, maybe slightly more back in 2008, it was definitely busier, but the ratio of active members and new members has always been pretty consistent I think.

I think when people are looking for a forum to talk Buffy, this one definitely stands out. No offence Buffy-Boards but I am totally into how you look. You are so aesthetically pleasing. Plus so easy to navigate.

Then there's all the events hosted by the mods and lots of new ideas to keep this a fun place by members and mods alike. That keeps people coming back.

I sort of disappeared in my mid-twenties, and reappeared late-twenties with a child. When I started watching all of Buffy and Angel again during night feeds and all the other late nights of caring for an infant, I was like "OMG BUFFY BOARDS!". I do try to post as often as I can, like right now, this post took a good 45 minutes to write with a toddler climbing on me and with both of us covered in green play-doh.

Professor Walsh: Ah. Family life. Night feeds and being climbed on. What's not to love?
  17. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    Mmmmm Play-doh - Why does that stuff smell so good? (Sorry, way off topic there......but come on, Play-doh! :p )

Nix likes this.