1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Is Buffy needed in BB&B?

Discussion in 'Season 2' started by Mr Trick, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Listening to the Dusted episode on it they both think that Buffy is only there because A) Its her name on the show, and B) to referr back to Xander's crush on her which supposedly has died by now.

Thoughts? Does Buffy serve a purpose in the plot? Could they have given her a rare week off?

2. Taake

Taake Tweedledee Staff Member

Black Thorn
    I thought they did... that's why she spent most of the episode as a rat...

Anyway, of course she's there because her name is on the show, is my answer to the question. For example I don't tune into Gilmore Girls to have a show without the Gilmore Girls... even if the other characters are interesting. I mean, we may all have our favorites - which may or may not be Buffy - but the show is called Buffy the Vampire Slayer. If you tune in and there's no Buffy around it seems like they should've called it something like Demons and Stuff... ;)

Mr. Pole: You should certainly watch it!! Then you can tell me if I should bother watching it or not.. I've always wondered about it.
    Fuffy Baith likes this.
  3. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    Oh. That reminds me. Have you ever seen Da Vinci's Demons?

Taake: OT, sir... but no, I have not (are you surprised? No? Didn't think so...) ;)
  4. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Its not most of the episode, at the most its half, its pretty late in the episode than that happens.

But if I remember rightly there was at least one episode Buffy wasn't in. Also part of their point was that her part of the story is just there for a cheap joke, and because of Xander's past crush on her. Also, they make the case that Willow's part of the story in relation to Xander and the spell is more important and so that maybe she shoul have appeared at the end of the episode not Buffy.

5. Taake

Taake Tweedledee Staff Member

Black Thorn
    There are more episodes where there's less of her, for sure, but I don't think there's one where there's no Buffy at all. Contractually, as the star, I imagine she has to be in all of the episodes. Even if they can wiggle around it by minimizing her appearance when needed.

Even if it's half, that's a lot of days that SMG didn't have to work, so basically it's a bit of time off for her.
    Anyway, guess I think the whole episode is a bit of a cheap joke so I don't really mind that the Buffy parts are cheap as well. :)

6. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Oh I don't think the episode is a cheap joke. Its a great concept episode, with important character growth, and just so funny! I don't mind her appearance as much as them, just throwing it out there.

Think you maybe right on the reasons through.

7. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    Technically Buffy isn't in S6 'Bargaining part 1' except for those last few seconds...

But yeah, I think she's needed here, because this is where we see that- with the whole Xander/Cordelia thing - Xander is starting to move past his Buffy-crush (slowly). And, to be honest, she needs to be there for some of the time for that to be in any way effective.
    So Xander resists Buffy's none-too-subtle advances (because he knows they aren't real) and says his peace about what it would mean to him if it actually were real.

Plus, as I remember Buffy's the only one who isn't supremely pissed at Xander at the end of the episode despite what he did (Cordelia's reaction is the only bit of the episode that is cringe-worthy for me).
    I know he shouldn't get credit exactly, but Buffy herself does acknowledge what Xander said to her in the library, ands I think that's were her remarks come from. She knows that his feelings for her are genuine but also that he wouldn't act on them in those circumstances (again acknowledgement is not credit.)

Blaze and Mr Trick like this.
  8. bespangeled

bespangeled Scooby

Black Thorn

Agreed - this is one of the Xander moments that really show a good side - caring about a friend even when it means he can have what he's dreamed of. I admire the fact that he didn't close his eyes and just grab!

From what I heard, SMG was exhausted and needed a break so that's where rat Buffy came from. It gave her a day or 2 off which she really needed.

Blaze likes this.
  9. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Great argument, and you've sold me on it. Which Cordelia reaction do you mean? Is it when she finds out about the spell and considers it romantic? I think that works quite well actually, it does go with Cordy's character.

They also mentioned this on the podcast. They even suggested that it showed in her performance, as she wasn't giving it her all and was a bit uneasy doing the comic stuff in the episode. I think that's a little unfair myself.

thetopher and Fuffy Baith like this.
  10. sk73

sk73 The Overlooked One

Sineya
    Wasn't she busy doing Saturday Night Live the same week they filmed BB&B?
    That's what I've heard anyway.

/SK

Mr Trick: Me too.
    Samuel Reyes: Same here
    Samuel Reyes and thetopher like this.
  11. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    Yeah, in the basement under attack. I know other things are going on- ladies needing their Xander fix!- but still it rang false for me. The music in that scene doesn't help- as I remember it swells dramatically or something. Like 'romantic revelation!', er, not really.

I agree that Cordelia is shallow enough to see the gesture in a 'aw, he really likes me that much' kinda way (at least a little bit) but I would've liked Cordelia to have also commented on the 'mind-controlling' aspects and maybe give Xander a slap on the arm or something. 'Ew, stop being so creepy with the magic!' or whatever. That also reflects Cordy's more cynical/mecurial worldview to me.

12. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

But I think Cordy is still maturing as a person at this point, Season 3 Cordy, or even early Angel seasons Cordy would have reacted less favouriably I'm sure. Also, I do think that Xander is put through the ringer and made to feel totally ashamed of his actions so for me that's enough.

13. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

I think it works well with Cordelia's character at that time. Also, the narrative and other characters did acknowledge that what Xander did was bad and he paid for it: Giles kicking him out, Oz punching him, Willow not talking to him, Angel throwing him from the roof and almost killing him, every female in Sunnydale trying to murder him.

Mr Trick likes this.
  14. Smile Time

Smile Time The Scattered One

Sineya
    No.
    It was meant to give SMG some time off, so they turned Buffy into a mouse.

thetopher likes this.
  15. Blaze

Blaze Let it Burn

Black Thorn
    The scene with Buffy trying to seduce Xander was really important to the plot in my opinion.

For the rest of the ep she was pretty disposable, so I have no problem with SMG only having that small part.

thetopher likes this.