1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Is it just me?

Discussion in 'Season 8' started by Vilmundur1997, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Vilmundur1997

Vilmundur1997 Potential

Is it just me, because in the comics, since Vampires can be seen as a metaphor for rape, the way that vampires are embraced by society, I kind of see it as how over the years society has started to embrace rape culture. Which makes this even scarier in my opinion. I'd like to hear your thoughts

Guy likes this.
  2. Foxy

Foxy I am cookie dough!

Sineya
    I never thought of it in this light but I will definitely keep it in mind when I reread the comics this summer. How would you view the mutated vamps of season 9 then?

3. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    Vampires have been a symbol of seduction from the beginning with Bram Stoker's Dracula. This was aided by a sort of hypnosis that had to occur because in the Victorian era, proper girls didn't want anything to do with sex so some altered state of mind was necessary for the story to be about a socially acceptable girl. Now that we are out of Victorian times and a female desire for sex is more acceptable, we don't see a need for altered states of mind to be necessary. But if you look at the turning of Spike and Angel, they were turned when they were at their most vulnerable, jilted William and drunken Liam - is that rape? We do see hetero males turning males (Spike and Holden Webster) and it appears to be more about the kill than about anything sexual. Did the vampire who sired Harmony get to enjoy any of her sexuality when she was turned? No, they were in the middle of a battle. I see vampires as psychopaths who enjoy killing and torture (it's no fun if they don't cry) more than sex itself.

I think we have to examine pop psychology with a bit more of a commitment to evidence than sensationalism about sexuality.

4. Vilmundur1997

Vilmundur1997 Potential

Huh, interesting point

5. Guy

Guy Scooby

Black Thorn
    Great point. It reminds me of an exchange from issue 20 of season 10:

Buffy: "All those years everyone tried to keep the supernatural a secret, figuring people would freak out... When maybe it would have made it easier for them to fight it".
    Spike: "My side always wondered about that. What's hidden is always scarier".

Vampires = rape. Vampires being accepted by society = rape culture. Vampires being widely known = people starting to talk about rape culture openly, to fight it.

Zenseem and Vilmundur1997 like this.
  6. The Ferg

The Ferg Mine is an evil laugh!

Who's embracing rape culture? I don't know and can't think of anyone who has "embraced" rape culture. I can think of one culture in the world that does embrace rape culture, but it's definitely not America (or Western culture in general, for that matter).

On the topic of vampiric metaphors... I see them as more of a metaphor for unempathetic people, and more importantly as predatory behavior in general. To be honest, I don't know if the comics have kept the same stringent mantra of "every supernatural thing is a metaphor for real life," so I might be reaching a bit, but if vampires being embraced by society is a metaphor for anything I'd think it'd be a metaphor for learning (and being forced) to live and learn about the darker sides of life. I think the internet has shifted society into something that can see all facets of humanity with the click of a button, and it doesn't do anybody any good to just ignore the bad parts, so we might as well learn to live with them.

Eh, I realize that's probably bull****, but it definitely makes more sense than anything having to do with "rape culture."

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  7. Fenrir

Fenrir Potential

I think we'd have to define "rape culture" before we discuss it in relation to society.

I don't recall Buffy using vampirism as a metaphor for sex/rape at any point really. It has been used that way in other works of fiction but I don't think it applies to Buffy.