1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Is "She" the most pointless episode of the series?

Discussion in 'Season 1' started by Joshua, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Joshua

Joshua Huge Spuffy Fan!

I'm rewatching season 11 of Angel and I'm on "She" and I thought; what the heck was the point of this episode?

it had no use in the season

2. Robb Stark

Robb Stark King in the North

Sineya
    I think the original plan with "She" must have been to use that character again as a romantic interest for Angel. They certainly set it up that way but then never built on it (and yeah, it was a really, really weird episode). My only real thought on why that never occurred is because the fan reaction to her must have been pretty negative, and the producers just scrapped the arc entirely.

3. Taake

Taake Tweedledee Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Short answer: yes it is.

I've never had any warm feelings or particular fondness at all for She ( or the characters introduced) but Always Bangels post makes sense to me. Probably (hopefully) there was a meaning behind the episode that was later on scrapped due to lack of viewer interest or whatever. That or they were experimenting... Season 1 was uncharted territory so I guess that though a failed story in my mind that arc might have been a gamble just to see where it could go.

Perhaps I should re-watch it though and return with a fresher perspective because I have to admit it is my most skipped over Angel episode of all five season (only other contender being The cautionary take of nĂºmero cinquo.... )

4. JCoatsworth

JCoatsworth UP THE IRONS!

Black Thorn
    I started a re-watch of Angel Season 1 a few months ago, but I stopped because I didn't want to watch She, nor did I want to skip it.

5. This Year's Girl

This Year's Girl Grateful grapefruit

Sineya
    Haha, yes. That episode was lame and wierd. I didn't like it at all. It's probably the only ats episode I feel that way about. I even thought the wrestler one was pretty good :D

6. NY State of Mind

NY State of Mind Cain

Black Thorn
    Yes thats like the worst episode ever Ive only seen it once fully and it was painful...the dancing is its only moments

7. JCoatsworth

JCoatsworth UP THE IRONS!

Black Thorn
    Haha, yes, totally forgot about this. The dancing scene is totally awesome, but the rest of the episode is lame, boring and weird.

8. Mischlings

Mischlings Potential

I keep trying to remember this episode, I even read some recaps, and the only thing I can remember clearly is the dancing. This episode is just so much nothing...

Blaze: Same for me, I'm really trying to remember, but nothing...
  9. Tome

Tome Berktwad

Black Thorn
    THERE'S A SEASON ELEVEN OF ANGEL? :eek: :eek: Why did I never hear of that?! ;)

Haha, but seriously, that episode is definitely the worst of the show. I've actually rewatched it once or twice with friends and it sucked even more every time. Only redeeming qualities of the episode are the hilarious Angel/Wes dance and Bai Ling. :p

NY State of Mind: I love that sig
  10. Joshua

Joshua Huge Spuffy Fan!

I know I realised the mistake lmao

11. Anya2012

Anya2012 Floppy, hoppy, bunnies!

Angel's dancing was the only highlight for me. I'd watch it just for that.

OccaQuokka: Love your banner!
  12. salustra

salustra Spike Acolyte

Sineya
    From what I've gathered from articles and such, SHE was an attempt to get a new love interest for Angel, but the actress and DB had ZERO chemistry on-screen, as did pretty much every woman they tried to pair him up with. Which is why Joss has remarked that "James[Marsters] is the best ingenue we ever put with David", because they had so much chemistry on-screen.

laianna: I'd believe this
  13. Robb Stark

Robb Stark King in the North

Sineya
    That seems likely with the girl from that episode. However, I wouldn't say that Boreanaz had zero chemistry with any of his romantic interests on Angel. He and Buffy had tremendous chemistry, and while I appear to be in the minority on this one, I thought he and Cordy worked too.

However, there were a few misses.

14. salustra

salustra Spike Acolyte

Sineya
    Which is why I said 'pretty much'. Buffy wasn't on Angel except as an occasional guest star, and Cordelia was really the only one regularly on the show he sparked with.

15. Blaze

Blaze Let it Burn

Black Thorn
    I don`t remember the episode at all...but the dancing, that I remember!

Also as for the chemistry part, I thought Angelus had crazy chemistry with like every single female character (He had a dam good chemistry with Dru in s2 of Buffy), which is weird, Angel was the tricky one!

16. itssmiletime

itssmiletime Potential

I sat down, last night, and watched She for the first time in like, four years.

And I agree. The only good moments are Wesley and Angel being dorks- I couldn't stop laughing in the scene where Wesley talks about his sweater. I found the plot overall to be very heavy handed, didn't like She- especially when she quickly said 'then they die'

I am so glad they scrapped that angle

17. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    The story seems to revolve around female citizens of Oden Tal who wanted to avoid their fate of being turned into slaves by removing the "ko", located at the spine, which removes their sexual and physical desires. This appears to be based on female mutilation as practiced by certain religions and nationalities in our world. I recognize that horror stories can be based on the news of the world, but it is a rather dubious source of entertainment and they were quite right in determining that maybe the real world is a little bit too horrible even for stories about demons.

18. fredthe3rd

fredthe3rd Potential

I think they were trying to do a positive thing with this episode by drawing attention to this horrible thing that happens in some parts of the world. But just about every element of it, right down to the pretentious title is just done so badly that its excruciating to watch. I consider it to be one of the worst episodes of a TV show that I've ever watched.

19. Wild At Heart

Wild At Heart the moon lights his way

Now that I think of it, it was rather pointless but I find it quite entertaining. I like the concept behind the episode, just wish they could've tied it in with another storyline or something to not make it seem so random.

20. CordelliasHeart

CordelliasHeart Potential

Curious, I must be one of the few people who DID like that episode

a Question, if the Demons of the week DO see some kind of massive cultural revolution, what do they do with Females who have allready been Ko'd