1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Jasmine

Discussion in 'Season 4' started by OccaQuokka, Aug 24, 2017.

1. OccaQuokka

OccaQuokka My arse is not pansy!

Sineya
    Was there more to Jasmines name than just the pretty aroma? I have just discovered that: It grows very fast, overtakes everything and is a pain in the backside to hack back.

Fool for Buffy and GwenRaiden like this.
  2. GwenRaiden

GwenRaiden AKA Apology Girl

Black Thorn
    Jasmine essential oil is a total all-rounder in the aromatherapy world; it has so many benefits. Its most powerful property, though, is it being a (strong) sedative. I like how that ties in with AtS.

I really don't know much about the flower (I zoned out a lot in college, probably stoned on jasmine), other than it being a flower that blossoms at night and that it is considered a "holy" flower in some countries (I suppose that's relevant to the character too).

OccaQuokka and Carrie Hopewell like this.
  3. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

There was more to the character, but sadly a good idea doesn't always grab you on screen. The character and story has to be dramatic and interesting. IMO for the most part The Jasmine story wasn't. Its connection to the awful Cordy/Beast plot didn't help.

4. GwenRaiden

Black Thorn
    I think @OccaQuokka was referring to the relevance of her name, rather than a critique of the character herself (correct me if I'm wrong).

Mr Trick: I see.
    OccaQuokka: Correct
  5. Fool for Buffy

Fool for Buffy "I wanna see how it ends"

Sineya
    The name seems to fit very well. I guess the writers knew the importance of giving her a name as her actual name has such importance to her storyline.

6. OccaQuokka

OccaQuokka My arse is not pansy!

Sineya
    I never really put much thought into her name - I did wonder if there was more to it than her just saying something along the lines of "jasmine smells pretty lets name me that" when Jasmine the plant is very weed like, getting out of hand easily and fast growing. The smell is amazing though.

Thanks for the Oil info too @GwenRaiden that makes even more sense - the lull of her pull, and eventual eating of people with no resistance. I like it! I love finding new levels of the shows.

GwenRaiden likes this.
  7. GwenRaiden

Black Thorn
    It really is the most beautiful scent! I loved working with jasmine (that sounds wrong).

I think Gina Torres did a great job evoking that gentle and alluring part of jasmine, as a name. It was such a contrast from Zoe.

Carrie Hopewell likes this.
  8. NileQT87

NileQT87 Billowy Coat, King of Pain

Drusilla and Darla both had scenes in earlier seasons discussing the smell of the jasmine in both Angel's Crawford mansion and Hyperion Hotel gardens.

Angelus and Drusilla even discuss it in I Only Have Eyes for You. "Night blooming." "Like us."

Darla then in The Trial says, "Hmm, Jasmine. It blooms at night."

The jasmine in the garden was explicitly referred to again when it came to how she got her name.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017