1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Joan And Randy

Discussion in 'Season 6' started by white avenger, Jul 28, 2017.

1. flow

flow Male Vampires are stupid. Throw rocks at them

I don`t want to be right about that, but I think it is really an interesting question. We only have a very short Moment between Joan realizing that Randy is a Vampire and the spell being broken. And in that very short Moment they have to fight some vampires. All we get is actually just one or two glimpses on Joans face.

I have rewatched this scene yesterday and I tried to see it from an objective Point of view (if that is possible at all).

I do see her being atrracted to him. I do see her Feeling somehow happy about sitting on his lap. But I also see her doubts and she is expressing them. That is why I Joan and Randy as a foreshadow of Spuffy as it and not as Spuffy as it could have been in a happier world. The doubts and the obstacles are already there. Just as the attraction and the emotions. But I do concede that my Point of view is a very far shot because it still is just a very short Moment, we see them together.

As long as we are talking about Randy and Joan, his actions prove that. He goes out with Joan, still thinking he is a normal guy. He doesn`t know about his supernatural strength and still backs her up without hesitation. He is the only one to do that. He fights on her side. He kills vampires. He does not try to hurt, bite or kill her.

Flow

GoSpuffy and Priceless like this.
  2. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

This brings up an interesting point. The entire loss of memory sequence only lasted, at most, a few h ours. What would have happened if it had lasted long enough for Randy to have to feed? Would animal blood have occurred to either him or anyone else? (Remember, it apparently Angel never considered it until Whistler told him. Granted, it's a fairly obvious solution, but those are quite often the ones overlooked at first) I can't see Joan see allowing Randy to hunt, even if he could, considering the chip. Would she, or some of the others have allowed him to feed off of them, with the assurance that he not take too much?

I really wish the spell had been allowed to stay in effect long enough for more things to develop.

flow likes this.
  3. Priceless

Priceless I am now

Giles and Anya, because they own a magic shop, would have hit the books and found out that vampires didn't have to feed from humans, and if they did, they didn't have to kill them. I think everyone would have debated the situation and Anya for one would have allowed Spike to feed from her, and if that were successful, others may have agreed. Everyone seemd to like Randy, there was no animosity there and none of them had a remembered history with vampires, so I think most of the group would eventually be okay with donating blood to feed Spike

TriBel and flow like this.
  4. Dora

Dora Potential

They would have hit the Books and found the Marster , Angelus , Dru, Spike and the thousands of people Vampires had killed over the years , Letting a vampire bite you or any of your friends, to feed of you just because its Spikey, behave , they would take the lot of you down to the funny farm with good reason.
    Its a long time since I watched this but if I remember correctly it was all about Buffy saving Spikes arse again because of gambling debts , interesting as he wanted Buffy to go with him at the DMP ...but maybe he was hatching more demon eggs

5. Puppet

Puppet Hands in the hair!

Black Thorn
    If Tara, under the memory-wipe spell, slept with someone other than Willow then it's not rape, because this is not the person who mind wiped her. That's why Joan and Randy is a wholly different thing.

6. Dora

Dora Potential

Yes but Joan and Randy are not real they have no Memory of each other, they are like being hypnotised without suggestions like they have been given mind altering drugs, with out their permission that is what some people describe as a rape ,a mind rape....

7. TriBel

TriBel Potential

Call me shallow but not even James Marsters could convince me I was doing the right thing sitting in the lap of THAT suit. It's a big obstacle to any romance. And why was he wearing pink lipstick? It's so not his colour. :)

Dora likes this.
  8. Fool for Buffy

Fool for Buffy "I wanna see how it ends"

Sineya
    So you're saying if Joan and Randy were in a relationship then they were both mind-raped by Willow? That seems to be quite the stretch. Having no memory and having no control are two very different things.

9. Dora

Dora Potential

Not when it is done on purpose with out consent their minds have been altered they are not who they are There are a lot of consent issues in six

10. Priceless

Priceless I am now

In some ways I would agree with you. What Willow does is terrible, though partly an accident and she didn't expect the spell to be so broad. She does get punished for it, with Tara leaving.

Everytime magic is used, there are consent issues, and that doesn't just happen in S6, it's a running theme throughout both shows. Buffy's character as a Slayer is built on the fact that she was chosen and did not consent to it and did not want it.