1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Lost Episode "Corrupt"

Discussion in 'Season 1' started by Meliza, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Meliza

Meliza Potential

I was going over the Angel Season 1 wikpedia page and come across unproduced episode" Corrupt. I search here shows very short hits since 2012 is a life time ago this thread is in order for the previously unawares like myself. It has got me wondering too if there are more finds like this out there? that would be cool.
    Corrupt (Angel) - Wikipedia
    Interesting reading about how they were still finding their voice at the time for the show, interesting stuff to read about, I understand normal stuff for a show but it is still so cool to read the things that came from the writers heads I would love to read a trillion unaired scripts

In regards to the episode, I felt like Season one struck a discordant note in terms of what is the word? the ambiance was good but the tone felt off or struggling to find its ground. I liked the dark Los Angeles detective noir vibe, it felt like they struggled blending the genres together as seamless as they did on Buffy. Which with the same creator I didn't understand the problem, I guess now I do with network interference or many cooks in the kitchen per se. I would have even fine with jokes falling flat like they sometimes did in Season One if they had gone on with a even darker air as I felt they should have at the time and maybe still do, then it would have felt more like the characters dud landing jokes were the point...

Doyle for example would have felt like a stronger character keeping him just as is except in a slightly different set up and Cordelia too. It turns out some people like this sort of humor.... something said about a situation which is really not funny.. hence it being funny and it did grow on me, though I felt different whilst S1 was early on still finding its footing.

What do you think? could a darker Angel have been successful. If Kate Lockley had been introduced a drug-addicted cop deep undercover as a prostitute how might your opinon of changed of her personality? it seems natural her Season one and two storylines would have progressed to look differently, might she have become a member of the Angel investigations.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  2. Taake

Taake Bella Staff Member

Black Thorn
    I think this sounds like a so much more interesting Kate than we got. The Kate was have is fine but there is something bland and dull about her, I think that the actress would have done a really good job in a much deeper and dirtier role, instead of being forced into a tough-chick-cop-with-a-chip-on-her-shoulder-cause-all-she-wants-is-her-daddy's-love. Because the Kate we have feels like a cop I've seen on a thousand other cop shows, there's nothing that makes her special (except that when she keeps harping on Angel later on because she can't deal with vampires being real, she gets a special kind of annoying).

I definitely think they should have taken Angel to a darker place immediately, to show this was definitely not Buffy. Angel is at it's best when it's dark or bleak, kind of like the elevator scene in season 2, and not when a plucky, funny, rag-tag team of misfits save the day, like on Buffy. Don't get me wrong, I obviously like the Buffy concept, it just worked better in a high school/college setting in Sunnydale than it did for a detective show in LA.

3. Ayko

Ayko MENE MENE TEKEL PERES

Thanks again for the info, Meliza. Very interesting. I would rather not comment further on the 'unproduced' episodes, especially this one, except to say that I agree with Angel, 'Nine hundred and ninety-nine (or much less by now) to go.'

4. dcai0830

dcai0830 "Shoulder to shoulder. I'm yours."

The script is not considered canon. Events that take place in it are instead superseded by the canonical "Lonely Hearts", and other episodes. For example the teaser sequence featuring an advertisement from the mind of Cordelia is reused in "Hero".

Can Lonely Hearts not be cannon either?? So. Bad.

This is an interesting article. I'm glad they didn't go down this route. It did take Angel about a half a season to find its footing, that's why the first time around I gave up so quickly it took me going back to re-watch to get invested but even now, I'm trying to get my boyfriend on the Angel bandwagon and I keep telling him to hang on, good times are coming. We just got to IWRY and I think this is the turning point.

5. Meliza

Meliza Potential

Just what I thought. I would have loved a darker show it is the direction I always upheld it should have went with right from the beginning and you can see elements of that show along the later seasons but in that case with Lorne and Welcome to the PRLTZ and then Darla it felt like a see-saw.

I would loved to have seen the damaged human being that was Drusilla resurrected, that is a much more devastating reprieve to the whole Angel enterprise then simply a ex girlfriend but because it is so much darker the appeal to me, I see why they went with Darla.

I am no Kate fan, bland, think Riley is more interesting then what she was, like you said it was trophe city with that one. I think this back story would have humanized her, turned her into a specific person you know? I think we see colors of this person in the unproduced script, the Kate we get on the show never went on a vengeance rampaign she is drawn like a standard procedural TV cop "We do things by the book" but she has a edge to her and a emotionality ...
    only the way they plated it, it made her look fumbling and incompetent at her job sometimes.. which was not in a interesting way, not like a ex-addict, fallen detective would have been. Just realizing, this was likely suppose to parallel Angel's vampire addiction metaphor.

I wonder if they had apprehension in straddling the line between portraying the police as simple good guys or the bad guys so they went the easy route portraying Kate as a TV trope and thereby one dimensional with the supposedly riveting but safe and cliche father figure reason d'ĂȘtre.

X files episode "Young At Heart" comes to mind, they weren't cliches on either end, neither chip off the old block good guys or shoot em up baddies, they were imbued with humanity as people, just people making hard decisions.

Since Kate become the straight laced character her original edgyiness was errornously channeled into prejudice. So far, we have a straight laced, uptight cop who along with being dull refuses to believe what she is seeing with her own eyes, making her look dim as well and lets not forget the daddy issues interfering with work making her look so incompetent. Really, Angel nothing has to worry about here.

Considering the subject matter, The LAPD could have played a bigger role in the series featuring more prominently in a interesting way not in the boring, annoying, early S1 & S2 way.

Actually, come to think of it, pair this element with a hit show dealing with the paranormal and it would have jived a little more in a X files way.
    Take for example what they did with the FBI (not boring) Wolfram & Hart serves as a similar role having the department Los Angeles Investigations involved would have worked in a similar vein, imagine Kate discovering conspiring with demonic forces goes deeper then she suspected, it reaches her department and goes all the way to the top, the whole city is corrupted and in league with the devil.

In the noir genre, the Detective usually has a girlfriend or female assistant and some one to on the side to supply them with inside information. I suppose Kate was supposed to fulfill both of these roles. If they had went the other direction, I can see this "Kate" looking a lot like the Kate from Lost, I can see the actress they went with pulling off a independent rebel law enforcement officer like a mix of Faith bad assery and rational Willow intelligence and competence. Willing to buck the system, being a little jaded and able to relate to Angel's struggles not to "use" again, it makes more sense for the character they ended up with, as opposed the skeptical "Scully" to Angel's "Mulder" because that is not who Angel is.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    Ethan Reigns likes this.
  6. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Scooby

I liked that lost episode a lot. It was certainly better than Lonely Hearts, and yeah, Kate could've been so much more interesting to me than she was.