1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

My friends think Buffy is lame.

Discussion in 'Inside Out' started by Buffy Lover, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    I feel that's a lot of it. I think that some of the repetitiveness of the show lost it's emphasis when you had a week- or longer- in between viewings. I think binge watching actually hurts it. It's helps to highlight what the show did wrong, but, as a first time viewer it's easier to forgive it's mistakes (in mythology/logic) by binge watching as you are quickly onto the next episode; that's why the Marvel Netflix shows are lauded as superior when in fact they are only average- at best.

OccaQuokka, Priceless and Buffy Lover like this.
  2. HazyGriffin

HazyGriffin Townie

Yes. Come to think of it, those Netflix shows are like wrapped single stories, with relatively small time frame and monotonous plot-driven characters. Thus they'd better be released as such, one whole package at a time, or the audience get bored easily.

Buffy Lover likes this.
  3. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    Netflix series rely on the audience to binge their product thus having a slower more monotonous pace. Because, as opposed to say a Game of Thrones, Netflix expects their consumers to treat multiple episodes as "one" episode. I still wouldn't really call them plot-driven though. But you look at the majority of their own shows and the story is told in chunks as opposed to in episodic form, such as a Game of Thrones. Netflix has gotten rid of the "watercooler moments" by allowing everyone to watch and view at their own pace. So three different people can be at three different points of the story. It hurts building the 'community' of fans. But I am tipsy and this is turning into a rant.

Buffy Lover likes this.
  4. HazyGriffin

HazyGriffin Townie

I think by 'plot' I mean the general seasonal goal, as the story does not usually spin off this main course. But don't get me wrong I love this style of story telling as much as the next guy, I feel you in the sense that it does not really help 'building the community'. Integrity over diversity, one way or another. But a brave creator can do both!:)

Buffy Lover likes this.
  5. BuffyBot22

BuffyBot22 Potential

What I will never understand, is my mom thinks that BtVS has poor acting. I'm like "Are you kidding me?" I think she can't get past the supernatural storylines, but that doesn't mean it's poor acting. Some of the actors aren't the best, but overall it's some of the best acting on TV, especially for it's time.

Buffy Lover likes this.
  6. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    True. It definitely doesn't have bad acting. Most actors on tv right now are so bland. It's like they're just chosen for a certain look and not for they're acting skills.

What truly baffles me with my mom is that she thinks Spike is the best ever, that Spuffy is better than Bangel, that Btvs has better choreography (and better everything :rolleyes:) and that Spike fights better than Angel! That last one truly makes me go "Are you kidding me? You're watching Angel and you think Spike fights better? He barely even throws a punch and Angel has killed really powerful demons.". We were watching You're Welcome and during the scene with the zombies, she saw Spike do a lame kick-punch combination and was like "See? Better fighter?" :eek::eek::eek: That makes no sense! Even Giles does that better than Spike. And she thinks Spike is more dangerous than Angelus because he killed two slayers! Because that is the only thing that apparently impresses my mom. I'm like, really mom? You like Spike? That's so gross, but unsurprising. My mom, like Spike, thinks love is passion - arguing and making up over and over again. So she sees Spuffy in all it's violence and toxicity and she thinks that's a great relationship :eek:

Ugh, I usually don't complain about my mom here. I rant about her on my mind instead :p Sorry, but my feelings towards my mom can be a little bit like Lorne's.

Aw, and now I'm sad because I checked out Lorne's tag. Andy Hallett died so young :(

7. BuffyBot22

BuffyBot22 Potential

My mom has only seen two episodes and thinks she has it all figured out lol. I just don't know how she didn't like it: I showed her Becoming Pt. 2 and The Gift. 2 of the best episodes of the buffyverse. But, maybe I should try a stand alone episode instead of finales where you have to understand the arc of the season. I think my mom would probably like Briley. She would go for the human relationship. But, wow just no, Angelus is far scarier than Spike. They both fight pretty well, but the show definitely portrays Angel as the better fighter. I mean goodness it is his show not the Spike show lol.

Buffy Lover and Carrie Hopewell like this.
  8. Carrie Hopewell

Sineya
    Hmm...I don't actually like The Gift. I like Buffy's death scene but your mom wouldn't be moved without loving the character :) Becoming is great but I think it's also one of those episodes that are more gratifying to the fans than to casual viewers. Maybe try Prophecy Girl? Buffy is very endearing in that episode and you can basically watche it without haven't seen the rest of the season. It's a good introduction to the show. After that, maybe Lie to Me and Lovers Walk/The Wish?? Idk, episodes whose enjoyment doesn't depend on knowing the characters, but which are an accurate representation of the show. It's why I suggested Prophecy Girl. Also, cater to your audience. Give her all the Riley if you think she'll like it o_O Oh, and OMWF is a fan favorite... She doesn't need to know the story to enjoy the songs. Maybe if she likes musicals? I personally don't but...

BuffyBot22 and Buffy Lover like this.
  9. Buffy Lover

Buffy Lover Townie

Yeah you should show her ones that are less apocalypse save the world show her those ones when she falls in love with the show. But for now maybe try going in order so she understands the show better.

BuffyBot22 likes this.
  10. Blair

Blair Vamp Blair

Sineya
    Yeeeeah.... Um, you need new friends.

Show them a variety of episodes though- Hush, Doppelganger Land, The Puppet Show, Tabula Rasa, Buffy vs Dracula. If they still don't dig it, cut them out of your life (I kid, but seriously it's like a deal breaker for me if someone doesn't like Buffy)

11. YummySushiPJs

YummySushiPJs Scooby

I think most of us have have experienced the OP's situation at one point. Mine went like this:

Me: If you like deep shows you should watch buffy
    Friend: Uh, no thanks.
    Me: It's not just about a girl killing vampires you know.
    Friend: Yes it is.
    Me: It's about so much more than that.
    Friend: No it's not.
    Me: Well I've seen it. Have you?
    Friend: No.

When that's the type of logic you're dealing with, you realise some people don't deserve Buffy.

Thankfully anybody that I've actually convinced to watch it, has loved it. But then that's not news as there are only two types of people in the world - those who love Buffy and those who haven't seen it yet.

12. Buffy Lover

Buffy Lover Townie

Thank you so much!!!!!!! Do you mind if I steal what you said to your friend?

YummySushiPJs: Steal away.
    OccaQuokka likes this.
  13. Carrie Hopewell

Sineya
    One of my best friends already loved Buffy before I started watching it. However, she loves Spike and hates Ats, so...not a perfect situation in the slightest :)
    My other best friend started watching it recently. I talked about the show so much (I actually asked her about love once because I was thinking about Bangel and how it was written) that she decided to watch it too. She loved it and I was happy to know she loves Cordy, Dru, Angel and is kind of meh about Buffy. She hasn't started season 4 yet though because of uni (she doesn't have her priorities straight :p) She actually texted me, when she was in s2, to complain about getting hooked on it. I'm the terrible friend that made her addicted to Buffy lol.

Buffy Lover likes this.
  14. Blair

Blair Vamp Blair

Sineya
    When I was in England, my roommate was sick and asked to borrow a Buffy dvd of mine (the most non esssential item I took with me) So she made it through season 2 of Buffy in 3 days. Everytime I came home she was like "Can we watch Buffy together?"
    Like, "No problem friendo! You pick the episode, I'll go get us popcorn"
    Was a great situation.

15. fauxindigo

fauxindigo Townie

Yasss comparing BtVS to High Art, Gucci & Versace! Luxury isn't for everyone. If your friends don't appreciate it, it's literally their loss. I have one friend who has always been into it with me since the beginning and my man has seen several episodes but doesn't have much further interest other than the fact that he buys me btvs merchandise bc he know's I love the series to death. Even if you don't have any friends that want to watch it with you, at least you have other btvs lovers to chat with on the boards.

Buffy Lover: Yeah in my mind I was like wait there's a hole website full of awesome buffy fans who love Buffy (Angel too)
  16. BuffyBot22

BuffyBot22 Potential

I'll definitely try those, well except OMWF. She and I both don't care for musicals. Thanks for the suggestions :)

Buffy Lover and Carrie Hopewell like this.
  17. jkik15

jkik15 Townie

Hahaha, maybe I exaggerated just a bit. Just like any show, there's going to be occasional bad acting i.e Charisma Carpenter trying to pull of emotional scenes. But overall, the majority of the cast is good with a lot of range. Well, except a couple, but I won't name them.