1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

New Slayer Stan

Discussion in 'Check In' started by VampireStanner, Aug 15, 2017.

?

What were your thoughts on Riley?

1. Indifferent

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Annoyed

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. Liked

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. SHIPPER OF RUFFY

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Disliked

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  1. VampireStanner

VampireStanner President of Buffy the Vampire Fan Club

Hi everyone! I'm brand new to this whole forum thing, I'm honestly new to forums in generals, but the buffyverse has been so crazy interesting to me that I NEEDED to discuss it. I am currently still on Season 5 (scared to binge watch and have it end NO SPOILERS PLEASE!!!) However, once I finish and catch up on the comics I hope to be an expert. As of now I cannot choose a favorite character due to the fact that I like them all so much, but I can choose one character that has been annoying me... Riley.. he's a grade A mess. He seems so selfish at times? Anyways, I'm excited to become a part of the gang.

2. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    Hi! Welcome to the boards :) I'm mostly indifferent about Riley, but a positive kind of indifference. You should share your thoughts as you watch the show. Also, I hope you watch Angel next!

3. WillowFromBuffy

WillowFromBuffy "My bowling shoe fetish is not the issue here."

Welcome!

Some random spoilers:
    Glory is a actually a rogue slayer
    Buffy's gift is cheese
    Giles becomes a transvestite and moves to Transylvania
    Ben is Dawn. Dawn is Ben.
    Xander looses an eye

4. Zenseem

Zenseem Evil, skanky and kinda gay

Black Thorn
    Hi there and welcome aboard!

If you're looking for spoiler free content I'd recommend you to not engage too much into the forums... yet. No need to hurry you watch though, just avoid some threads and you'll be fine. After finishing it you can watch Angel or dive in the comics, so you won't lack buffyversy goodness ever.

5. dcai0830

dcai0830 "Shoulder to shoulder. I'm yours."

Welcome welcome welcome! Beware as you move about the Boards as spoilers are EVERYWHERE! I love when people jump on the Buffyverse bandwagon.

As @Carrie Hopewell says I hope you will also try watching Angel. It takes about a 3/4ths of a Season to warm up and get to where its going but it's worth it!

What episode are you at in your Season 5 watch?

What has been your favorite Season thus far?

VampireStanner likes this.
  6. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    Was kind of indifferent to Riley.....but at least he was alive & breathing which is a major plus in my books....... ;)

Hello there & welcome to the boards :)

7. Athena

Athena Belinda Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Yes, the boards are dark and full of spoilers, but you should be ok in the Buffy Seasons 1-5 sections, and The Bronze which is for off-topic chat. It's always great to get a complete newbies opinion on the show, so you're very welcome! As for Riley, he's a bit meh and he has issues but early S4 Riley is ok. I like a bit of monster in my man though ;)

8. EmmaTheGreat

EmmaTheGreat Townie

personally I'm thinking riley is a bit too problematic, but tv writers will probably need that to keep the show. i think athena is right about s4 riley being good thouh

9. Priceless

Priceless I am now

Hi and welcome to the boards :D I hope you enjoy seasons 6 & 7 and carry on with the comics, because they're really good.

As for Riley, I began by being indifferent then became more and more annoyed by him. He presents as one thing, but underneath that there is something else going on that's so much darker and tormented. Really I should like him for that complexity, but I don't :confused:

10. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

Welcome to the boards! :)

When You get past the episode "Into the Woods", you should check out this thread:

Is Briley abusive?

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts especially as you would've watched Season 5 so recently.

11. Fool for Buffy

Fool for Buffy "I wanna see how it ends"

Sineya
    What a nice change of pace to have someone who hasn't seen every episode 12 times and can actually have a fresh first impression! Welcome to the boards;)

12. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Scooby

Welcome! :D

I'll have to think on how to vote about Riley/Buffy. I'm somewhere between "indifferent" and "annoyed." Maybe later I'll know which way I learn more to...though I suspect I'm closer to indifferent to season 4 Riley and closer to annoyed in season 5 Riley. But interesting enough, there's been a lot of scorn on Riley lately on BB...maybe people needed a break from the Spuffy and Bangel that normally dominates. :p

Btw, there are threads for each episode and some like to write in their own comments as they watch them. You could do that if you want, many of us would be interested.

13. brinkster130

brinkster130 Riley's BFF Staff Member

Sineya
    Hello and welcome!

I liked Riley. :)

14. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Scooby

I voted Liked.

The mistake I made before was thinking of Briley rather than Riley himself as a character. I like him well enough in every season except season 5, and I just can't shake that his character was being assassinated by the writers to make room for Spuffy (though I try to make myself think it was a temporary, and hopefully unintended, side effect of the monk's memory altering spells).

I liked how helpful he was in season 4 to those he didn't know, how he was the most empathetic to Willow during her heartbreak when he didn't even know her, how he was able to question what's right vs what is his duty (however that confused him at times), and generally as someone who had your back and wasn't scared of powerful women (AGAIN, I do NOT mean to include season 5 Riley). I don't see him as selfish.

He's not my favorite character and I don't think he was right for Buffy, but there's a lot about him that I like and appreciate.

15. Living Dead Boy

Living Dead Boy Joss Is A Very Flawed Boss

Black Thorn
    Hello and welcome to the boards! :) Color me indifferent. I never hated Riley like some people do, yet I never really cared that much about him either. Although Into The Woods is still a stand out episode for me. I got the point of Riley, let's put it that way. We needed a Riley. Just...a Riley with better chemistry.

16. Nix

Nix Queen of Coffee!!

Sineya
    Hello and welcome to BB :)

17. Bloody William

Bloody William Potential

Hello. At first I didn't like Riley, and I REALLY hated the Initiative. By the end of season 4 I was pleased that the Initiative was done with because if that had continued, it would of ruined Buffy for me. I have become more accepting of Riley now and feel for him in someways.

18. ChaseRules

ChaseRules When it comes to dating I the Slayer.

Sineya
    Glad to see you here & Riley seemed two-dimensional to me. Great solder but bad at everything else .

19. VampireStanner

VampireStanner President of Buffy the Vampire Fan Club

I attempted one episode of angel it just was a bit slow and I really wanted to focus on Buffy, but when I finish I plan on binging on Angel! I'm on episode 20 of season 5, so I'm almost on to Season 6. My favorite season so far... hmm I'd have to say Season 3 is up there, but Season 2 was also amazing especially the switch of the Big Bad.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 25, 2017 ---
    I agree! I think what I meant was I don't like Riley and Buffy together, however Riley in season 4 was a sweet heart.

dcai0830, thrasherpix and Puppet like this.
  20. ChaseRules

ChaseRules When it comes to dating I the Slayer.

Sineya
    Riley was nice in season 4 I agree but he just seemed bad for Buffy . You could say they were better friends then lovers.