1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Once More, with Podcast Episode 11: You Had One Job, Phil!

Discussion in 'Buffy-Boards News' started by Athena, May 30, 2017.

1. Athena

Athena Belinda Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Episode 11 of the official Buffy Boards podcast Once More, with Podcast, is now available to download from BB Radio, and on your podcast app! You can search for the podcast on your iTunes, Doggcatcher, Pocket Casts, Stitcher, or whatever app you use to listen to your podcasts and subscribe to us :D

[​IMG]

This episode we're talking all about the joint number 144 in our top ten list - as voted the worst episodes by the BB community; we try to redeem Gone and Get It Done. They're pretty bad episodes, so we're not sure we actually succeed in the redemption attempt, but we give it a try!

Any feedback or comments? Please let us know :)

2. Athena

Black Thorn
    Oh I meant to say, sorry for the rubbish audio quality of my mic - I've bought a (second) replacement and hopefully the next episode should be a bit less quiet/LOUD/quiet/LOUD. :rolleyes:

3. Priceless

Priceless I am now

An absolute epic :) Is this the longest episode you've done? Great as always, and I agree Buffy just isn't Buffy in Gone, though I do think Get It Done is a better episode.

Athena likes this.
  4. Athena

Black Thorn
    Thank you Priceless :)

Ha ha, no, I think the 20th anniversary one was the longest.... but this one's probably our most on-topic conversation and apart from the couple-o-swearies :p, it was pretty straightforward and we had a lot of fun. :)

Priceless likes this.
  5. Smile Time

Smile Time The Scattered One

Sineya
    Most on topic yet uncensored podcast so far (last time I checked, most podcasts will edit out sneezing and snorting and such).

Both of you guys made a good point, Buffy is an insufferable hypocrite in the last couple of seasons...

RomanticSoul likes this.
  6. Miditron

Miditron A man with a Seabreeze

Can't wait to check it out downloading it now!!

7. Athena

Black Thorn
    If you knew how long it took to edit these things, you wouldn't call it 'uncensored'. I would have edited out the sneezing if I could, but it's difficult when the other person is talking. Unfortunately even when you're feeling unwell the show must go on..... ;)

I will never edit out a snort though. Snorts are super attractive. :D

Taake likes this.
  8. Riderofapocalypse

Riderofapocalypse Potential

Very much enjoyed this episode. Especially due to it's more raw nature of how the hosts really BLEEPING feel.
    It's quite nice to hear that i am not alone on the 'Spike/Spuffy's just a fan service' bus. And how Buffy, by herself, is not a good leader of any team. Now where we sit on the bus may differ, but at least i can you see you there.
    Wouldn't mind more of a 'let loose' format, like this episode.

And personally, I can see how Buffy got pissed that Chloey hung herself. I really enjoyed her reaction. After coming inside from burying the young lady, and slamming the shovel on the ground. In a nutshell, telling the potentials to go die somewhere else and not waste her time.

9. WillowFromBuffy

WillowFromBuffy "My bowling shoe fetish is not the issue here."

I love Invisi-Buffy. Buff's coping strategy here is similar to what Willow is doing in Smashed with Amy. It is the joy of not having to be yourself. Buffy is looking to lose herself, Spike is trying to find himself again.

I sometimes feel the latter seasons are not allowed to be as campy and whimsical as the early ones.

I was genuinely baffled when I realised other Buffy fans don't like Kennedy. The reasons I am given are mostly: 1) She's too conventionally pretty, as if Tara was an acquired taste. 2) She's too bratty and forceful, as if she is the only one on the show.

I, too, love Buffy's reaction to Chloe's suicide. Buffy has to deal with a lot in this season.

Priceless likes this.
  10. Athena

Black Thorn
    Or Buffy is just looking to be a complete ****! I get what you're saying, but it just didn't work for me. There's being out of character and being out of character. Buffy wouldn't pick on innocent people, walk into them or steal parking warden's cars. She's supposed to be our heroine - not some teen delinquent. :rolleyes:

If being invisible makes you an a-hole I think I'd rather just stay visible. :D

Priceless likes this.
  11. WillowFromBuffy

WillowFromBuffy "My bowling shoe fetish is not the issue here."

Well, she can't be the heroine all the time. Sometimes I need her to be like me. I like it when she starts an episode by crying in the corner and ends it by firing a rocket launcher.

A friend and I discussed how we would cope if we were given the ring of Gyges. Let's just hope that never happens. My reign of terror would make people miss Angelus. Flying coffee cups everywhere.

I agree that the social services are treated quite horribly in this episode. Not only in the way Buffy treats them, but in the way they are depicted themselves. My country probably has the most infamous child protective services in the world. Still, the child protective services here does not go into a home looking for reasons to remove a child. Their first job is to give a family support. They only remove a child if a family fails to cooperate or if there are they have very good reasons to believe the child is in immediate danger.

12. GwenRaiden

GwenRaiden AKA Apology Girl

Black Thorn
    The "Gone" wig HAS to be the same one from Scooby Doo, right? Right?!

[​IMG]

I enjoy T's swearing. More swearing please. I hope you had a big mug of Lemsip post-recording, Athena. :D

Carrie Hopewell likes this.
  13. Athena

Black Thorn
    By jove I think she's cracked the mystery of the random blonde wig! :D "And I would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for that pesky Gwen Raiden" :p Is it me or is SMG especially errr buoyant in that picture? ;)

And if you like the swears, you'll love next episode :D

14. GwenRaiden

GwenRaiden AKA Apology Girl

Black Thorn
    [​IMG]

15. Taake

Taake Bella Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Haha, oh my god, that is totally the same wig! Do you think SMG just kept it, for like roleplay and stuff? :p

Bring on the bleeps! Clearly I don't need to restrain myself any more :D

GwenRaiden: "any more"? :D
    GwenRaiden likes this.
  16. Guy

Guy Scooby

Black Thorn
    Buffy would TOTALLY do all of these things, given the right circumstances. Remember 'When she was Bad'? Remember 'Bad Girls'? Buffy is not above pettiness and teenage delinquency - and given how messed up she was by that point in season 6, her behaviour in 'Gone' makes perfect sense to me.

Or in other words - "What am I, saint Buffy?"

Also - Buffy doesn't do anything THAT bad in this episode. The "fashion police" thing was naughy but harmless, and the social worker totally had it coming (and I understand that most social workers aren't like that, but that PARTICULAR social worker was being a bitca, and she was threatening to change the lives of both Buffy and Dawn irrevocably, without being nearly thorough enough).

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  17. Taake

Taake Bella Staff Member

Black Thorn
    How was she a bitca? How? I don't understand this attitude at all, she was looking out for Dawn's best interest, which Buffy clearly wasn't, and Buffy was acting superbly awkward and strange during the visit. I don't think the social worker was bad at all, she was just doing her job. Buffy's a horrible brat and I can't understand why people defend her behavior here.

18. Guy

Guy Scooby

Black Thorn
    The social worker was being a bitca by saying that she's "seen enough" so soon, and by not giving Buffy a proper chance to explain herself.

Social workers should put the child first, true, but they should also understand that taking a child away from her family is a HUGE change, with many enormous potential downsides, and it should not be pursued before all other courses of action were attempted. A social worker who just leaves a home after a few minutes, without giving the parent a chance to properly explain themselves, is NOT doing what's best for the child. She was being criminally negligent - just as negligent as Buffy.

19. Taake

Taake Bella Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Social worker enters. Meets confused young lady who a) doesn't know what day it is, b) has a shady guy visiting whom she nervously denies being her boyfriend c) lies about how many people are living in the house (a pretty basic question) d) has, by her own statement, "magic weed" in the house. At the time, probably a criminal offense in Cali.

Doris might have left soon, but she was not criminally negligent. Buffy is an adult, she is responsible to take care of the huge change, if you're not prepared to shoulder a huge change and to be responsible for a child - don't undertake it. She couldn't even tell what day it was or remember that they had an appointment. She showed what kind of guardian she was, and continued to be, like Doris said - in those few minutes, she showed enough of who she was and how she was taking care of Dawn. She was given an opportunity to explain, and she fumbled at the most basic questions. No doubt Doris, being with social services, also knew that they wouldn't be taking Dawn away from her family, they'd get in touch with her other family (her dad), so it wasn't as if she was going into the system or anything.

Edit: Also, Buffy's not a parent, she's a legal guardian. You can't take kids willy nilly from parents, but legal guardians have less rights and certainly need to prove that they are up to the task of guardianship

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    Athena and Carrie Hopewell like this.
  20. Athena

Black Thorn
    No, I mean she doesn't kill anyone, but she's mean and thoughtless and rude, and the only reason for it is being invisible. But before that she lies to a social services lady - blatantly - for no reason. If she actually was a half decent guardian, she would have remembered the appointment, tidied the house appropriately (aka hidden the magic weed!) and when Doris arrived, she would have told the goddamn truth when asked about living with a friend (no harm in it) and having a boyfriend (again, what's the issue?)! That's what being a responsible parental figure is all about.

Doris wasn't negligent here - Buffy was. Doris simply saw a nervous, sketchy, possibly drug addicted young woman lying to her. Of course she's going to think the worst about Dawn's situation and take it further!