1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Pangs

Discussion in 'Season 4' started by Mr. Pole, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    What is everyone's opinion on this episode? Love it? Hate it? Indifferent? Sound off below.
    @thetopher

2. Taake

Taake Tweedledee Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Pretty indifferent, this is what I remember (assuming I remember the right episode even, haha)

Angel is there - yay, always makes my heart skip a beat ;) But annoying with him skulking around in the shadows. Be an adult, just tell her you're there.
    Willow is mad at Thanksgiving
    Buffy wears a terrible peasant top
    Fun with Spike - "you made a bear!"
    Great closing scene.

I cannot really remember the actual plot or how it is resolved.

3. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    The whole thing is etched into my memory. I wish I could forget it. Do you want me to remind you everything that happens? I loathe this episode.

4. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    I actually love this episode!

I think it's Angel's presence that really makes the difference. Just like Xander says. it feels like old times. Pangs resembles a season 3 episode minus Cordelia. It has a dash of Bangel angst, Angel kicking ass, plus the uneasy collaboration between Angel and the Scoobies. It's also pretty funny and Buffy's cute with her obsession with thanksgiving. Points for these scenes in which Angel forgets that he's just there to "protect her":

GILES
    So what do you think?
    ANGEL
    She sounds good. Kind of intense about this Thanksgiving thing...
    GILES
    I think she's a little lonely. But I meant about the murder.

WILLOW
    Hey, is Cordelia really working for you? That's gotta be... a special experience. Of all the people you could've hired--
    ANGEL
    Willow. I'm here to protect Buffy. I don't have a whole lotta time for personal stuff.
    WILLOW
    Right. How can I help?
    ANGEL
    Well, if you can just tell me... Who's that guy?

I also just love the final shot from Buffy's pov of the whole gang looking contrite after Xander drops the A bomb, with Spike looking devious.

The only con I have against this episode is how culturally insensitive it can be.

Zenseem, Mylie and BuffyBot22 like this.
  5. Professor Walsh

Professor Walsh Feminist slayerette

Black Thorn
    That is the one with the Native American curse, yes?
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 12, 2017 ---
    With Thanksgiving being just another American thing to me, I suppose I didn't really cotton on to the specialness. From the top of my head, I'd say it's a nondescript episode at it's core, with some very charming moments and some very cringeworthy ones. (See, now we are dissecting the show to the point that takes away from the enjoyment again.)

Carrie Hopewell: Yes :)
    Mr. Pole: It was the very special Buffy Thanksgiving Special episode
    GwenRaiden likes this.
  6. Riderofapocalypse

Riderofapocalypse Potential

favorite episode of all of S4. Includes one of my favorite quotes of the show, in combination, between Buffy and Spike.

Spike - 'A bear! You made a bear.'
    Buffy - 'I didn't mean to....'
    Spike- ' UNDO IT! UNDO IT!'

7. BuffyBot22

BuffyBot22 Potential

I love this episode. It brings back the elements of the first 3 seasons. We have an Angel appearance which always makes me love an episode that much more. It was endearing that he came back to protect because of Doyle's vision. I actually love and hate that Angel didn't tell Buffy he was there. I love it because as a result we get Xander spilling the beans which leads to IWRY- the best Bangel episode. I hate it because I wanted to see an interaction between them in this episode. But, of course the no interaction and that look at the end just intensifies the angst. I'm a sucker for angsty relationships on TV.
    Buffy's obsession with Thanksgiving is actually a lot deeper than the surface, she desperately wants communion and family.
    Spike gets some pretty funny lines in this episode.
    Xander has syphilis which leads to some great commentary with the scoobies and Anya.
    Everyone thinks Angel is evil again- loved that.

I just thoroughly enjoy this episode. I always look forward to it. It's my second fav episode of s4, Something Blue is my first.

Zenseem likes this.
  8. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    I liked it. I've seen other shows do Thanksgiving episodes and they're awful. I don't know what the equivalent is here, but I usually can't stand 'special holiday episodes' on tv. So trite. I thought Pangs was trying to be more of a commentary on Thanksgiving episodes, with the dialogue between Giles and Willow showing their opposing views. I don't know. But I can see why people wouldn't like it. I don't know how well it works. The Dusted podcast rated it far too high on their list. I think they had it in the top 5.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  9. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    The Dusted podcast's ranking is ridiculous though! Forever was ahead of Innocence and Becoming. And so was All the Way I think.

Bluebird likes this.
  10. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    I really like this episode; In fact I like it more that 'Something Blue'. Why do I like it?
    The comedy comes from the characters, not the situation, yet all the characters are themselves. Buffy is focused on 'perfect thanksgiving' almost to the point of mania, Willow becomes her Mom, Anya defends vengeance, Xander gets screwed over by a curse, whilst Giles is the hard-headed practical guy. Plus we have irate hostage-Spike who tells it like it is and slightly petty Angel ('Why does everyone think I'm evil? I haven't been evil for a long time!') hanging around in the shadows.

The action is fun, everyone does something worthwhile- even poorly Xander- and we get a lovely skewering of the stupid liberal apologist culture; why does saying sorry for something your ancestors did make things better? It doesn't, it makes you feel better and also all the people who- for some reason- obsess about this sort of thing.

Bluebird and Mylie like this.
  11. GoSpuffy

GoSpuffy Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer

Black Thorn
    I loved it! This episode back to back with something blue turned me into the Spuffy I am today.

12. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

This is pretty much me.

I relate a lot to Buffy in this episode, wanting to recreate the holidays she used to have, wanting things to be the same even if she's not living with her mom anymore, going to college, etc.

I also love all the scoobies bickering, everyone is hilarious and in character in this episode.

And this is Spike at it's best in my opinion.

The episode also made me wish we'd gotten more of Angel interacting with the scoobies post season 3. The little bit of Angel/Anya was fun and even Angel/Xander makes me feel nostalgic (only 8 episodes after he left Sunnydale).

And I do love the way the episode handled the social commentary as well. I was surprised a few years ago when I read that this episode was considered controversial. And apparently, it's one of Joss's favorite episodes.

thetopher likes this.
  13. RomanticSoul

RomanticSoul I AM GROOT

Not a fan. All of Jane's annoying ticks coming out full force never works for me.