1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Pop Culture References in Buffy & Angel

Discussion in 'Inside Out' started by Buffy Summers, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Buffy Summers

Buffy Summers Yataro Staff Member

Sineya
    This is a little something we thought BB could do as a group: we'd like to compile a list of the pop culture references in Buffy & Angel. So we'd like to ask your help - as you're doing rewatches etc, make a note here of any references you see with the episode.

For example, in the Dark Age, Jenny says to Giles, "I mean, I'm not running around, wind in my hair, 'The hills are alive with the sound of music' fine, but... I'm coping." referencing The Sound of Music.

When they are compiled into one list, you will get credit for any you point out. :)

2. GwenRaiden

GwenRaiden AKA Apology Girl

Black Thorn
    Cool! I'm currently rewatching. Where do we post them? Here?

3. Buffy Summers

Buffy Summers Yataro Staff Member

Sineya
    Yup, here is fine and then I will make a page to list them all on :) Thanks!

4. Samuel Reyes

Samuel Reyes Chilling in SunnyD

• The name Scooby Gang is a shout-out to Mystery Inc. from Scooby-Doo.
    • Buffy's last name is a reference to X-Men character Scott Summers (aka Cyclops).
    • Faith's last name is in honor of Boston noir writer Dennis Lehane.
    • When She Was Bad: Willow and Xander quote The Terminator ("In the few hours that we had together, we loved a lifetime's worth"), Planet of the Apes ("It's a madhouse, it's a madhouse") and Star Wars ("Use the force, Luke").
    • School Hard: "You were my Yoda!"
    • Lie to Me: Buffy mentions the song 'I Touch Myself'... before claiming not to know what it meant.
    • Faith, Hope and Trick: "But I'm the one getting Single White Female'd here", which is a movie about a new girl trying to take over the main character's life.
    • Beauty and the Beasts: Faith mentions Manimal and The English Patient.
    • Band Candy: Buffy says of Giles and Joyce hounding her to study for the SATs, "It's like being in the Real World house, only real"; Xander asks of Snyder, "You weren't visited by the Ghost of Christmas Past, by any chance?"; Buffy says, "I'm sure we love the idea of going all Willy Loman, but we're not in the band" (Death of a Salesman); "Let's do the Time Warp" again (The Rocky Horror Picture Show).
    • Lovers' Walk: Spike sings along to Gary Oldman's cover of the Sex Pistols 'My Way.'
    • The Zeppo: Xander starts to sing Michael Jackson's "Wanna Be Starting Something", Cordelia compares him to Zeppo Marx (the 'useless' member of the Marx Brothers, while Xander thinks he's more of a Jimmy Olsen (Superman's 'useless' sidekick).
    • Bad Girls: Giles snarkingly says in regards to Wesley, "Look, tell you what, let Captain Courageous here go, and I'll tell you what you need to know."
    • Consequences: Buffy describes Faith's inappropriate cheer with the phrase 'Zip A Dee Do Dah', the name of a song from the movie Song of the South.
    • Enemies: Buffy says that Faith "makes Godot look punctual". The Samuel Beckett play Waiting for Godot has the characters waiting for a mysterious person who never arrives.
    • Choices: Faith references The Godfather, "I made him an offer he couldn't survive". Willow just can't stop Nancy Drew-ing.
    • Graduation Day: Faith says, "Look at you, all dressed up in big sister's clothes", which is the name of an Elvis Costello song.
    • The Freshman: Xander tries to be inspirational by quoting Scarface ("First you get the women, then you get the money, then you...") and Phantom Menace ("Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to anger..."). He also says he watched Grand Canyon on TV. Oz says "It's a madhouse! A madhouse!" to describe the crowd at the college.
    • Living Conditions: Xander refers to Buffy as "The Buffinator" and Oz adds "She'll be back." Xander describes the behavior Buffy exhibited while losing her soul as "doing a Linda Blair on us."
    • Beer Bad: Xander refers to Giles as "Mister I spent the 60s in an electric-kool-aid-funky-satan-groove", which is a reference to Tom Wolfe's book The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test, about drug-taking hippies.
    • Wild at Heart: Buffy says "If the Stones can keep rolling, why not Giles?"
    • The Initiative: Buffy imitates the "Dodge this" scene from The Matrix; she also asks Riley "Who died and made you John Wayne?"
    • This Year's Girl: The title is the name of an Elvis Costello song.
    • Where the Wild Things Are: The title is the name of a children's book by Maurice Sendak.
    • The Yoko Factor: The title is the name of a Beatles song (Adam also references Helter Skelter); Spike tells Adam, "You're like Tony Robbins. If he was a big scary Frankenstein-looking... You're exactly like Tony Robbins"; Buffy asks Forrest, "What kind of family are you, the Corleones?"; Willow and Tara refer to Willow as "a whiz, if ever a whiz there was".
    • Primeval: Spike says, "let's not quibble about who failed who" (Monty Python and the Holy Grail); "The little witch gives her the info and pop - Alice heads back down the rabbit hole"; and calls Buffy Nancy Drew. Adam refers to his final plan as The Trojan Horse.
    • Tabula Rasa: Spike tells Buffy, "We kissed like Gone with the Wind with all the rising music and rising... music."
    • Chosen: The gang play Dungeons and Dragons; Andrew refers to Trogdor the Burninator from Homestar Runner; Spike quotes Alice Cooper's 'School's Out'; Buffy asks if Angel's gonna get "all Dawson on [me] every time I have a boyfriend?"
    Hell, most of what The Trio says should be listed here.

Not a reference from the Bangelverse, but it was so funny I had to mention it: from a Season 10 episode of 'Criminal Minds' called Hashtag there are a few, let's just say suspect character names: Tara Harris, Charles Lorne, Connor Holt, Joyce Giles, Alexander Chase, Dawn Rosenburg, Riley Summers, Daniel Osbourne, William Pratt... I think it's safe to say the writer is a big fan of the shows.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    Fuffy Baith likes this.
  5. gite63

gite63 Gone

Sineya
    Touched

Spike: That diabolical torture device: the comfy chair. Do me fine.

The Comfy Chair - Monty Python sketch from The Spanish Inquisition.

Selfless

Spike: Scream Montresor all you like, pet.

From Edgar Allan Poe's The Cask of Amontillado.

Tabula Rasa

Anya: I-I don't see any booze. I don't feel any head bumps. I don't see Allen Funt.

--- Double Post Merged, Jan 18, 2016 ---
    Funt, from Candid Camera (ironically, there was a candid camera at the Magic Box).

6. Smile Time

Smile Time The Scattered One

Sineya
    Spike makes a reference to 'Sedated' by The Ramones in 'Crush'.

Andrew telling the potentials that Faith killed a Vulcan (Spock) in 'Dirty Girls'.

Kathy having a Celine Dion poster on the wall of her (shared with Buffy) dorm room in 'Living Conditions'.

Mr Trick and Samuel Reyes like this.
  7. gite63

gite63 Gone

Sineya
    Spiral

Spike: Florence bloody Nightingale to the rescue.

Spike mentions Passions and Dawson's Creek.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 18, 2016 ---
    Clem, Spike, Gunn and Angel mention Knight Rider (Clem in Seeing Red and the others in Underneath).

Mr Trick likes this.
  8. JCoatsworth

JCoatsworth UP THE IRONS!

Black Thorn
    The Puppet Show

Xander says Sid "Keyser Sözed" them, like the character from The Usual Suspects (1995).

Mr Trick: That maybe one of my favourite Xander lines ever.
  9. Samuel Reyes

Bargaining Pt. 1: Xander mentions having seen The Fury (which seems to be a favorite among the writers, as it's also mentioned on Dollhouse when Topher compares Bennett to John Cassavetes from that film). Also, Dude Where's My Car? is showing at the theater. Tara references the Mutant Enemy logo when she gives Giles the finger puppet and says "Grr, argh."

Bargaining Pt. 2: Xander asks Willow about Tara, "And how long have you known your girlfriend was Tinkerbell?" He also says, "Yeah, we got trouble, right here in Hellmouth City", which references a song from The Music Man called 'Trouble Right Here in River City'.

Flooded: Willow tells Giles about the spell she performed, "Even the Blair Witch would be scared." Xander quotes the Spider-Man theme song ("Action is his reward"). Andrew asks Warren, "Are you like a jedi or something?"

Life Serial: Tara says she watched SpongeBob SquarePants with Willow. Andrew paints the Death Star on the side of the Trio's van, and the horn plays the Star Wars theme. Warren uses the code name "Logan 5", a reference to the movie Logan's Run. Andrew talks about the Star Trek TNG episode where the Enterprise kept blowing up ('Cause and Effect') and Warren also notes the X-Files episode where the bank kept exploding ('Monday'). The Trio have an argument over which actor was the best James Bond (Sean Connery, Roger Moore, or Timothy Dalton), and Warren says Moonraker was inexcusable.

All the Way: Anya mentions Charlie's Angels: "This is a special kind of angel called a 'Charlie'. We don't have wings. We just skate around with perfect hair, fighting crimes." Willow references Star Wars, saying "Do they know they're brother and sister?" referring to the couple dressed as Luke and Leia erotically dancing at the Bronze. Spike mentions planning to watch It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. He is later seen watching Night of the Living Dead on TV. Standing in front of the old man's house, Zack says to Janice, "Pumpkins. Very dangerous. You go first", which is a variation of a quote from Raiders of the Lost Ark, when Sallah sees the snakes in the Well of Souls and tells Indiana Jones "Asps. Very dangerous. You go first."

Once More With Feeling: Xander's line "Respect the cruller. And tame the donut!" is a shout-out to a (much more) obscene line from Paul Thomas Anderson's Magnolia.

Ethan Reigns and Buffy Summers like this.
  10. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    I wondered where that line came from in Once More with Feeling.

An obvious on in "The Replacement": Xander does the Snoopy dance.

Samuel Reyes: The actual line is so obscene I don't even wanna list it here.
  11. cryptwarmer

cryptwarmer I'm in charge of morale!

Black Thorn
    Thanks for this. I knew it had to be a reference to something, but I never knew what!

12. GwenRaiden

GwenRaiden AKA Apology Girl

Black Thorn
    In I Will Remember You, when Cordelia and Doyle are leaving the office to let the Bangel drama ensue, Cordy says "Oh, they'll be into this for a while. We still have time for a cappuccino.. and probably the director's cut of 'Titanic'."

13. sk73

sk73 The Overlooked One

Sineya
    In Empty Places. Rona says "Ding dong the witch is dead" when Buffy leaves the house.
    A Wizard of Oz reference.

/SK

14. HowiMetdaSlayer

HowiMetdaSlayer Occasionally, I am callous and strange.

OMG - so funny especially if you know the line he's referencing!

15. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    Bargaining- Xander while holding an axe says something line "all the better to cut you down to size with, grandma". A Little Red Riding Hood reference. The grandma says "ask the better to see/hear/eat you with"

Revelations- I think Faith calls Gwendolyn Post Mary Poppins. Also sychronized slaying which refers to sychronized swimming in the Olympics.

Go Fish-Cordy And Xander refers to the movies The Creature from the Black Lagoon and The Blue Lagoon. Cordy gets them confused. Lol

16. gite63

gite63 Gone

Sineya
    The Killer in Me

Spike: Who you gonna call? - Ghostbusters!

I learned that here; for years I wondered what Spike meant by "that phrase is never gonna be usable again".

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  17. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Which is just another reason why Warren sucks! Anyone whose anyone knows that Moonraker is one of the better Moore Bond films:D

I'm making a note of this as I might be going to a screening of Magnolia this week and will come back to you if that line isn't there;)

In Teacher's Pet Buffy describes Miss French's head turning around as a "Full on Exorcist twist"

In The Pack Buffy references the X-Files with the line to Giles "I can't believe that you of all people are trying to Scully me"

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  18. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Conversations with Dead People Andrew says, "I feel like we're in Hellraiser. I hate pinhead" in reference to the sinister monster from said film.

19. Samuel Reyes

Also from Conversations with Dead People:

Warren calls Jonathan 'Short Round.'
    "That boy is our last hope." - Star Wars

Mr Trick: Oh I like the Short Round remark.
    Mr Trick likes this.
  20. gite63

gite63 Gone

Sineya
    The Killer in Me

Kennedy cites the movies Gone With the Wind and Moulin Rouge, and crime writer Robert Parker.