1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Questions About "After The Fall" Comics (Options/Editions/Volumes)

Discussion in 'Angel: After the Fall' started by AbraxasP3, Jan 9, 2015.

1. AbraxasP3

AbraxasP3 Townie

To those of you that have read "After the Fall" -- I have a few questions.

I've been very into reading comics lately, most of them as a way to continue enjoying a few of my favorite TV series.

I'm just about finished reading season 9 of the "Charmed" comics...and more importantly I'm about ready to start going through the "Buffy" comics.

I haven't read season 8, 9, or 10.
    I got the library editions of season 8, all 4 volumes; all of which are really fantastic, I'm anxious to start reading them. I know the library editions for season 9 start coming out in February, but I'm getting ahead of myself...

My questions really have to do with "Angel : After The Fall."
    I watched the series and when I found out their was a continuation in comic form, I always wanted to get it. Well it's definitely not a series that any of my local shops regularly carry - I basically have to special order it. And I really don't know what to order, I thought somebody could help me with this.

I discovered "Angel : After the Fall" - The Premiere Edition Vol. 1 (Hardcover). It appears this is a very rare version to find these days; I would love to have it but it appears getting it for anything under $1,000 could be tricky.
    Is this premiere edition all 17 issues?

I also found a slip-case version, which houses the trade paperbacks; I'm assuming this is the whole series?

I would love it if somebody could give me a breakdown of what I should buy & what my options are. I have a difficult time finding credible info online of all the editions and what exactly I'm getting. I want all the issues, I like the trade paperbacks, but if there is a special version still available, I might also be interested.

And also one question for any "Angel" & "Buffy" comic fan - in regards to season 9, I know that Willow has a "Wonderland" trade paperback out and that Spike has a trade paperback out as well (whichever one is canon and the newest). On the back of the trade paperbacks for Willow & Spike it does list it as Buffy Season 9.
    So will these be available in the library editions of Buffy: Season 9?

Thanks a lot for the help, I really appreciate it

2. The Bronze

The Bronze Rogue Demon Hunter

Black Thorn
    Well if you want to hand over $1000 you can have my Angel - Premier Edition :D
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 9, 2015, Original Post Date: Jan 9, 2015 ---
    So to be a bit more useful...

The basic Angel AtF series is 17 issues long. These 17 issues are included in the Premier Edition and in the Slipcase Edition.

You can also get all 17 issues as 4 separate volume books, in either paperback or the original hardback.

I would recommend the addition of Spike - AtF as it fits in nicely with the Angel series and is either confirmed canon or as close as possible. This is available as paperback or hardback as well.

There is also Spike: The Complete Series which sort of bridges the gap between AtF and Buffy Season 8. Probably worth picking up. This is a paperback altogether or as 2 hardbacks I believe.

The Angel stuff after that on IDW is a bit messy and very dubious in terms of canon so I wouldn't rush to get it.

I would assume the Spike and Willow series will be included in the Season 9 hardbacks but I can't guarantee it.

3. gite63

gite63 Gone

Sineya
    My list: Spike in comics
    1. Wesley: Spotlight Angel S5 (Los Angeles)
    2. Spike vs. Dracula Angel S5 (Los Angeles)
    3. Spike: Old Wounds Angel S5 (Los Angeles)
    4. Lost and Found Angel S5 (Los Angeles)
    5. Asylum Angel S5 (Los Angeles)
    6. Auld Lang Syne Angel S5 (Los Angeles)
    7. Shadow Puppets Angel S5 (Japan)
    8. Spike: After Fall (Los Angeles)
    9. After the Fall 1 (Los Angeles)
    10. After the Fall 3 (Los Angeles)
    11. After the Fall 4 (Los Angeles)
    12. Old Friends
    13. Last Angel in Hell 6 (San Diego)
    14. Immortality for Dummies 1 (Los Angeles)
    15. Spike: The Devil You Know (Los Angeles)
    16. The Crown Prince Syndrome 2 (Los Angeles)
    17. Spike: The Complete Series (Las Vegas)
    18. Last Gleaming BtVS S8 #8 (Tibete/Sunnydale)

4. The Ferg

The Ferg Mine is an evil laugh!

Hey, it's nice to see a new comic fan out there! I know it's been awhile since you've posted this, AbraxasP3, but I'm kind of the perfect person to ask this question. During my marathon of everything Whedon in preparation for Avengers 2, last week I reread every single post-AS5 comic from IDW (excluding Barbary Coast, Blood and Trenches, and Angel vs Frankenstein, but those take place in the past anyway), and I kind of fell in love harder than the first few times I read it. IDW's made some really good shit, and I highly recommend checking it out asap.

Essentially, there are 3 different ways to consume post-AS5 IDW comics. Here's a handy list:
    1. Official Canon
    Angel: After The Fall
    (Co-plotted by Joss Whedon. His name is on everything)
    -Issues 1-17
    -Volume 1-4 (Paperback or Hardcover)
    -Premiere Edition / Slipcase
    Spike (Was created, at least partly, to tie Spike into BS8. Whedon has stated that it's canon)
    -Issues 1-8
    -Volume 1-2 (Hardcovers)
    -Complete Collection (Paperback)

2. Extended Canon (basically just my opinion of what Angel: "Season 6" consists of)
    Spike: After The Fall (Might as well be canon. Takes place right before Angel: AtF, but should be read after AtF: Vol. 2. Also, it's written by Brian Lynch, who wrote After The Fall and the Spike series)
    Angel Vol. 6
    -Issue 23 is an epilogue to AtF.
    -Issues 24-25 are about Drusilla, and a prequel to AtF. Also ties into Spike a little.
    -Issues 26-27 (Boys and Their Toys) are just a fun story about Angel, Spike, and the chaos magic thing from Halloween.
    -Last Angel in Hell is an oversized issue recreating the movie that was created in-universe based on the events of AtF. It's hugely exaggerated, Spike is a girl, and Angel is played by Nicholas Cage. It's hilarious.
    Angel: Only Human (Should be called Gunn & Illyria: Only Human)
    It's a really interesting character-based story that spins out of issue 23 (the epilogue), puts a nice capper on AtF, and leads into the Illyria mini-series)
    Illyria: Haunted (Personally, I'm only considering issues 1-2 canon)
    To me, the story just gets ridiculous at issue 3, and the first two were kind of phenomenal. The last page leads directly to her appearance in BS9, if you wanna be creative about it. Issues 3-4 aren't awful though, and this should definitely be checked out if you like the character.
    Angel: Yearbook
    Just a fun collection of stories from writers and artists that have worked on IDW Angel comics in the past.

3. Everything Else
    Angel Vol. 5
    (Issues 18-22)
    This just isn't a good book, for starters. It introduces like three characters that no one cares about, the art is horrid and doesn't capture the actor's likenesses at all. Only read this if you're a super-fan.
    Angel Issues 28-44
    I wish I could say this was Volume 7-9, but for whatever reason they decided to renumber these with Vol. 1-3. It's also collected a huge hardcover entitled The End. It's not bad by any means, but it's not really that good either. If you're a big fan like me, you'll probably enjoy it, but don't go out of your way. It doesn't directly contradict anything (that I noticed), but it doesn't flow into Season 8 at all. There's a cool backup story in the back of issues 28-39 about the devil, Eddie Hope, who is probably the coolest character to come out of Angel, post-AtF.
    Spike: The Devil You Know
    This book is the definition of 'meh.' It's kind of fun, but it's really lazy storytelling. I will say, the action by artist, Chris Cross is pretty phenomenal, and Eddie Hope is a main character as well, so that's cool. If Spike is your guy, get this for sure. Doesn't contradict anything at all.
    Lorne: Music of the Spheres
    When Andy Hallett died, IDW felt the need to retire his character for a time too. This is just an oversized one-shot, about Lorne's final days. It's pretty damn good up until the very end imo. But I'm sure some might disagree. If you can find it, I'd recommend giving it a shot. Technically it's canon, since he hasn't shown up in Dark Horse's stuff yet.

And that's everything! I would also recommend Brian Lynch's two Spike mini-series that took place during AS5 (Asylum and Shadow Puppets), but I haven't read anything else pre-AtF. Thanks for giving me something to do for like 15 minutes!

VisionGirl: Awesome summary!
    laianna: This is amazing and so helpful! Have you done a post like this for the Buffy comics as well??
  5. VisionGirl

VisionGirl Newly Human

Sineya
    Wesley Pryce likes this.
  6. AAXL98

AAXL98 Guest

LOL I bought my After The Fall premiere edition for 63 USD, how much did you buy it for? and Yeah Spike A Dark Place and Willow Wonderland will be included in Season 9 Library Editions

7. The Bronze

The Bronze Rogue Demon Hunter

Black Thorn
    I think it was about £40. It was half price from somewhere. I think the ridiculous prices just mean out of stock.