1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Rank the Season 5 Episodes

Discussion in 'Season 5' started by Samuel Reyes, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Samuel Reyes

Samuel Reyes Chilling in SunnyD

22. Listening to Fear (5x9)
    21. I Was Made to Love You (5x15)
    20. Shadow (5x8)
    19. Buffy vs. Dracula (5x1)
    18. Out of My Mind (5x4)
    17. No Place Like Home (5x5)
    16. Into the Woods (5x10)
    15. Real Me (5x2)
    14. Triangle (5x11)
    13. The Replacement (5x3)
    12. The Weight of the World (5x21)
    11. Checkpoint (5x12)
    10. Forever (5x17)
    9. Tough Love (5x19)
    8. Intervention (5x18)
    7. Crush (5x14)
    6. The Body (5x16)
    5. Family (5x6)
    4. Blood Ties (5x13)
    3. Spiral (5x20)
    2. Fool for Love (5x7)
    1. The Gift (5x22)

Aside from #22, I thought every episode this season was great.

Something Blue likes this.
  2. Wild At Heart

Wild At Heart the moon lights his way

01. Amends
    02. The Gift
    03. Fool For Love
    04. Forever
    05. The Body
    06. Family
    07. No Place Like Home
    08. Checkpoint
    09. Shadow
    10. Spiral
    11. Crush
    12. Triangle
    13. Tough Love
    14. Into The Woods
    15. Buffy Vs Dracula
    16. Real Me
    17. Blood Ties
    18. Intervention
    19. Listening To Fear
    20. Weight Of The World
    21. The Replacement
    22. Out Of My Mind
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 1, 2015, Original Post Date: Jul 1, 2015 ---
    I don't know why I thought of Amends for season 5 & left out I Was Made To Love You but I'd put that episode towards the end of my list. It's just not of my favorites so I kind of forgot about it.

Samuel Reyes likes this.
  3. Something Blue

Something Blue Townie

01. Fool for Love
    02. The Gift
    03. Crush
    04. Intervention
    05. Spiral
    06. Tough Love
    07. No Place Like Home
    08. Buffy vs. Dracula
    09. The Body
    10. Checkpoint
    11. Forever
    12. Shadow
    13. Listening to Fear
    14. Real Me
    15. Blood Ties
    16. Out of My Mind
    17. I Was Made to Love You
    18. Into the Woods
    19. The Weight of the World
    20. Family
    21. Triangle
    22. The Replacement

Samuel Reyes likes this.
  4. AnthonyCordova

AnthonyCordova Apocalypse Engine

Sineya
    1. The body, I know this for sure. My ranking of all-time television episodes would STILL have the same #1.

5. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

22. Into the Woods
    21. The Weight of the World
    20. Buffy VS. Dracula
    19. Out of My Mind
    18. Family
    17. Blood Ties
    16. Listening to Fear
    15. Shadow
    14. Real Me
    13. Spiral
    12. Forever
    11. Tough Love
    10. The Replacement
    9. No Place Like Home
    8. Triangle
    7. Checkpoint
    6. I Was Made to Love You
    5. Crush
    4. Intervention
    3. The Body
    2. The Gift
    1. Fool for Love

The order may change. Like three very hard to rank.

Fuffy Baith: Why so low with Buffy vs Dracula? I'd say it's better than Shadow or Blood Ties.
  6. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

@Fuffy Baith You may have a point its been awhile since I've seen some of the episodes so like I said the order might change. As for BVD I like the concept and its an important episode in setting up the season, but I just find the casting of the guy who played Dracula poor, and the story about the scoobies being hypnoitized just didn't work for me. Also as someone who really rate this season its not like I think its a bed episode just that I would rank it near the bottom.

Fuffy Baith: Yea I did not like the guy who played Dracula either. He just didn't have the charm that I think Dracula is suppose to have.
  7. nancylives

nancylives Townie

i'm just ranking my top ten in no particular order...

1. the body. one of the most amazing episodes of television ever, and without a doubt, one of the most effective explorations of death in all art ever. sarah, alyson, michelle, and emma deserve major props for really acting their tails off. christine sutherland deserves big-time kudos, as well; it couldn't have been easy.
    2. checkpoint. buffy really grows as a slayer, as a person, as a woman in this episode. you can really see the balance of power swing towards her in this episode.
    3. forever. a brilliant follow-up to the body which realistically explores how folks immersed in darkness and the supernatural might respond to an unwanted death. the scene of buffy in the cemetary with angel appearing behind her and taking her hand is just beautiful and one of my favorite moments of the show.
    4. crush. one of those buffy episodes that manages to be both poignant and hysterically funny. how could spike dealing with dru, harmony, and buffy not be these things?
    5. buffy vs. dracula. this episode has grown on me over the years, as has rudolf martin, the actor who plays him. a lot of important slayer-verse stuff happens here, not the least of which is dracula hinting at the darkness that is in buffy (and by extension, in all slayers). as a huge fan of renfield (i played him in my high school play of dracula, no less!), i loved seeing xander cast in this role.
    6. fool for love. good spike-ness in this one, and excellent flashbacks to the vamp gang's early days. spike and dru getting it on after killing a slayer in the midst of the boxer rebellion was...inspired.
    7. i was made to love you. i really like this episode, and really feel for the poor robot. her scene with buffy on the swings was heartbreakingly resonant. also, we get our first glimpse of warren and the terrible misogynist that he is. always found it kind of ironic that adam busch and amber benson dated in real life. must be the same initials.
    8. spiral. even though the knights of byzantine look ridiculous ("hey! i didn't know there was a renaissance festival being held in sunnydale park!"), this episode is great, with desperate heroes on the lam trying their best to survive and it all falls apart. buffy's desperation--and hopelessness--is palpable, and leads appropriately into...
    9. the weight of the world. i love this episode. it underscores the depth of buffy and willow's relationship, and moreso, we bare witness to some really honest, difficult thinking. real people sometimes hope for seemingly bad outcomes because it feels easier and they're tired. this episode both humanizes buffy, but also makes her all the more heroic: reality bites, but we still hafta get out of bed in the morning.
    10. the gift. beautiful. so much going on in here,

AnthonyCordova and Samuel Reyes like this.
  8. vellavu

vellavu Scooby

Black Thorn
    1. The Body
    2. The Gift
    3. Fool For Love
    4. Triangle
    5. Family
    6. Checkpoint
    7. The Replacement
    8. No Place Like Home
    9. Blood Ties
    10. Intervention
    11. Real Me
    12. Crush
    13. Buffy vs. Dracula
    14. I Was Made To Love You
    15. Forever
    16. Spiral
    17. Tough Love
    18. Shadow
    19. The Weight Of The World
    20. Out Of My Mind
    21. Listening To Fear
    22. Into The Woods

AnthonyCordova likes this.
  9. Under Her Spell

Under Her Spell Townie

22. 'I Was Made to Love You'
    21. 'Listening to Fear'
    20. 'Into the Woods'
    19. 'Real Me'
    18. 'Out of My Mind'
    17. 'No Place Like Home'
    16. 'Triangle'
    15. 'Shadow'
    14. 'Blood Ties'
    13. 'The Replacement'
    12. 'Forever'
    11. 'Checkpoint'
    10. 'Spiral'
    9. 'Intervention'
    8. 'Weight of the World
    7. 'Crush'
    6. 'Buffy vs. Dracula'
    5. 'Tough Love'
    4. 'Family'
    3. 'The Gift'
    2. 'Fool for Love'
    1. 'The Body'

Mr Trick and Samuel Reyes like this.
  10. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Good list! Although I remember I was Made for You being a good one. Would have Triangle and Intervention higher. I seem to be one of the only decending voices on Buffy VS. Dracula;)

11. Monkey Pants

Monkey Pants Bored Now

Black Thorn
    1. Fool for Love
    2. The Gift
    3. The Body
    4. Intervention
    5. Spiral
    6. Crush
    7. The Weight of the World
    8. No Place Like Home
    9. Shadow
    10. The Replacement
    11. Listening to Fear
    12. Checkpoint
    13. I Was Made to Love You
    14. Triangle
    15. Tough Love
    16. Real Me
    17. Forever
    18. Buffy vs. Dracula
    19. Out of My Mind
    20. Family
    21. Blood Ties
    22. Into the Woods

12. Priceless

Priceless I am now

Just finished S5 re-watch, so . . .

1. The Gift
    2. The Body
    3. Intervention
    4. Fool For Love
    5. Crush
    6. Triangle
    7. Real Me
    8. The Replacement
    9. Blood Ties
    10. Tough Love
    11. Forever
    12. Family
    13. I Was Made To Love You
    14. Out of My Mind
    15. Spiral
    16. Shadow
    17. No Place Like Home
    18. Weight of the World
    19. Checkpoint
    20. Buffy v Dracula
    21. Listening to Fear
    22. Into The Woods

Great season, really hard to rank

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  13. Finmoploy

Finmoploy Townie

1. The Body
    2. The Gift
    3. Fool for Love
    4. Tough Love
    5. Intervention
    6. Family
    7. Triangle
    8. Checkpoint
    9. Crush
    10. I Was Made to Love You
    11. Spiral
    12. The Replacement
    13. Weight of the World
    14. Blood Ties
    15. Into the Woods
    16. No Place Like Home
    17. Forever
    18. Real Me
    19. Shadow
    20. Buffy vs Dracula
    21. Out of my Mind
    22. Listening to Fear

Overall great quality episodes, Out of my Mind is a fun watch at 21.

14. Fool for Buffy

Fool for Buffy "I wanna see how it ends"

Sineya
    1. The Gift
    2. The Body
    3. Fool for Love
    4. Intervention
    5. Crush
    6. Family
    7. Checkpoint
    8. Tough Love
    9. Spiral
    10. Weight of the World
    11. No Place like Home
    12. The Replacement
    13. Triangle
    14. Blood Ties
    15. Buffy vs Dracula
    16. Into the Woods
    17. Forever
    18. Real Me
    19. Out of my Mind
    20. Shadow
    21. I was Made to Love you
    22. Listening to Fear

15. Stoney

Stoney Spiked!

1. Fool For Love
    2. The Gift
    3. Crush
    4. The Body
    5. Checkpoint
    6. Spiral
    7. Intervention
    8. No Place Like Home
    9. Forever
    10. Blood Ties
    11. Weight of the World
    12. Out of My Mind
    13. The Replacement
    14. Family
    15. Real Me
    16. Shadow
    17. Into the Woods
    18. Tough Love
    19. I Was Made to Love You
    20. Listening to Fear
    21. Buffy vs Dracula
    22. Triangle

I find ranking S5 & 6 the most difficult because I love the seasons so much and I 'dislike' very little of the episodes. I have firmer likes/dislikes within S1-4. Whilst S7 may have less dislikes, it just isn't as strong a season as some that came earlier.

16. Scooby Corps

Scooby Corps Fly! Be free, little bird, you defy category!

1. Weight Of The World
    2. The Body
    3. Spiral
    4. Blood Ties
    5. Triangle
    6. The Replacement
    7. Forever
    8. The Gift
    9. Checkpoint
    10. Tough Love
    11. The Real Me
    12. No Place Like Home
    13. Buffy Vs. Dracula
    14. I Was Made To Love You
    15. Shadow
    16. Listening To Fear
    17. Out Of My Mind
    18. Fool For Love
    19. Into The Woods
    20. Intervention
    21. Family
    22. Crush

Carrie Hopewell: Definitely agree with you that Fool For Love , Family and Crush are some of the worst episodes. And I love Forever too!
    DeadlyDuo: I disagree. I'd rank Fool For Love and Crush at the top of the list.
    Carrie Hopewell likes this.
  17. Puppet

Puppet Hands in the hair!

Black Thorn
    *claps hands together* alright, time for this again, and this time I'm ranking my favorite season, should be fun (for me, at least) :D

Keep in mind that this list mostly has what I consider good episodes, so if one you like is low, it doesn't mean the episode is bad, necessarily.

22. Buffy vs. Dracula. This is the lowest I have ever ranked a season opener, but I am just not a fan. That, however, does not mean that it does not have both good and great moments. There's a reason this is my favorite season, after all. The villain seems to be nothing more than a way to get the Buffy Has Darkness plot to move along and I feel it, he's really not all that awe-inspiring. Then again, I'm a personal fan of Gary Oldman's version, so maybe that's part of it. I do enjoy the Xander parts, and the byplay between Giles and Riley when the former falls into the pit with the brides.
    21. Into the Woods. Yeah, not only did Biley never make sense to me, this season has, by far, the worst character in Riley Finn, not quite as likable as S4. His justifications for why he cheated on Buffy and put his own life and that of her loved ones in danger (by risking being turned) were super lame and yet Buffy fell for it, the only part that was believable, as Buffy can be fragile when it comes to her heart. Xander's speech to Buffy was ridiculous, what relationship had he been watching? I did enjoy his later speech to Anya, though. This ranks higher than BvD, solely for being the episode that saw Riley's back, on his way out of town.
    20. Listening to Fear. See now, this episode is not bad, it's just that, only 3 episodes in, we're already at the 'worst of the best' stage, lol. Ben calling in a demonic 'alien' to kill innocents was a great way to show his desperation in cleaning up Glory's mess, how far he's willing to go for his own means. Joyce's condition starts to worry us more and more and Buffy is slowly but surely falling apart. Emotionally, this was beautiful, but it just lacked something for me, that I can't put my finger on (other than Riley).
    19. Triangle. Maybe it's because I've never understood Willow's illogical dislike of Anya, but I don't particular enjoy this one too much. It's still fun and a bit campy, and we learn some stuff, and Spike acts a fool trying to 'impress' Buffy, but the whole Willow/Anya dynamics (which is the basis of the plot) just doesn't sit right with me.
    18. Real Me. At this point, Dawn is still new, she's an intruder and we don't know where she came from, and she gets an episode all to herself. It boggles the mind and confused me terrible the first time around. Not to mention having the MotW be Harmony. I mean, I know they were going for comic relief, but still. Yet, again, it had its moments, and is enjoyable in rewatches, for sure.
    17. Shadow. Ah, the fragility of human life, so much like a spider web at times, durable but ultimately breakable, as well. I always loved Joyce, despite her flaws, glaring at times, so exploring this storyline was both heartbreaking and yet fascinating from a viewer's standpoint, at the same time. And having Buffy faced with that same complex dilemma, one of my favorite parts of this season.
    16. No Place Like Home. This is when the season really took off for me, arc wise. We met Glory, earlier than we're usually presented with our Big Bad since S1, and she was chillingly charming and, of course, gorgeous (I just adore Clare Kramer!) We also, finally, learned the truth about Dawn, at the same time as Buffy did, which was new and interesting. The mystery surrounding Glory was also nice, with us thinking she was a demon up until Checkpoint. All in all, a strong outing from a very strong season, imo.
    15. I Was Made to Love You. The themes in this one were both beautiful and yet humorous at the same time, one of BtVS' strengths, imo. The actress behind April was very good at playing her role in a believable way, throwing Spike through the window was hilarious, the confrontation with Warren and his new lady, the talk April and Buffy had near the end. Don't even get me started on that cliffhanger ending *chills*
    14. Forever. Though I do enjoy the byplay of Spike and Dawn (I love Spawn friendship fics!) the whole plot makes me uncomfortable. That's technically not a bad thing, since that's what it's supposed to do, but it makes it hard for me to watch. The saving grace, for me, is depicting how Buffy is dealing with her loss and visiting the different ways Willow and Tara have at looking at magic, another point revisited in the next season.
    13. Blood Ties. The Buffy-Birthday-Curse strikes again, dammit! Dawn discovering the truth about herself can still haunt me at times. This was the episode that made me understand why JW decided to go against what he had planned (hiring an 8-10 year old) and get MT instead, she was breathtaking in this one, and at such a young age, too. I can't remember any parts of this that I didn't love.
    12. Out of My Mind. This could have been higher, but...Riley... I did enjoy the Spike/Harmony scenes, not to mention the ending with Spike's realization. Thus began my journey as a Spuffy shipper, lol, though it would be a long, tough road, to be sure. I loved Buffy ripping the money in half, when Spike asks for half up front, hilarious. But, as mentioned, the Biley stuff (DRAMA!) was just a little too much for my poor heart.
    11. Tough Love. TARA! NO! Goddess, but I love that girl so much. The argument between her and Willow would become so much more important the following year and I love those types of foreshadowing, something JW and his team do so well. I can barely see past the Glory/Tara and Willow/Tara scenes to remember what else happened, but that could just be because it's been a while since I did a rewatch, lol. That doesn't mean I don't stand by my list, though, don't think that for a second :)
    10. Spiral. So many great moments in this one, from the Winnebago road trip, to Buffy's sword fight on top of the moving Winnebago, to Spike grabbing a hold of that sword (not to mention how he comforts Tara, so sweet) to holing up in that gas station, to Giles being critically injured, to Glory showing up and Buffy going catatonic.
    9. Intervention. Yes, my Spike-loving heart had to have this here. This may be the actual episode that made me a Spuffy shipper. Okay, so creating the Buffy!Bot, not one of his smartest decisions, I get that, but what he did, not giving Dawn up to Glory...phew, that was a rough one, emotionally. JM, as always, did amazing. Fun fact, when Xander goes to his crypt, right before he's taken, that's not NB, but you probably already knew that, lol.
    8. Family. Did I mention I love Tara? She's in my top 5 of favorite BtVs and AtS characters! Having a Tara-centric episode was great, especially since it's the only one we ever get (Tillow-centric don't count). I loved that Tara proved not to be this perfect Goddess that we like to think of her as, by casting that spell on the Scoobs, it was another notch in the human weakness theme of the season. I loved Spike's sass in the MB scene, punching Tara and smiling at the Maclays, he's such a smart-mouth. I really liked Dawn in this one, being the first to really stand up for Tara (other than Willow) and giving Tara a broom for a birthday present. Moments like this make me confused as to why so many fans think of her as whiny??? Puppet confused...
    7. Crush. It's actually pretty low for a Spuffy shipper, lol, but even I can see the flaws in this. I'm not saying Spike's actions were OOC, not at all, I just wished they had gone in a different direction. But then, this was the season of Desperate!Spike, wanting Buffy to just see him, and not his past. Poor bugger. I did enjoy the not-a-date, and it always breaks my heart to see that look in Spike's eyes when he realizes that Buffy has 'changed the locks'. Stellar acting by JM, without speaking a single word. *crying now*
    6. Checkpoint. We have far too little Council in the show for my liking. Humph. Lydia's fascination with William the Bloody was both adorable, hilarious and oh so much fun, not to mention the way he hammed it up for them, both because he's Spike and because he's irritated with Buffy at the time. Buffy taking Joyce and Dawn to Spike's, as a first thought, was very telling, and I don't mean that she liked him, but that she knew he was the strongest and was able to put aside their differences for the sake of protecting her family. She also trusted that he would protect them, which to me says a lot, especially coming off of Crush. I loved, loved, loved her speech in the MB to the Council, just epic, I swear. Anya's little "Willow's a demo?" was adorable and the way the whooped after she was done, so great. Love this episode so much (might be time for a rewatch lol)
    5. The Replacement. Time for my top 5, so much greatness to be found here. I adore Xander, so, so much, so getting a X-centric episode was just what I needed at the beginning of this season. And then, getting 2 Xanders for the price of one? Priceless, really. This is really the season where he starts thinking of Anya less as a lover and more as a partner, and this is the start of that. His snoopy dance is freaking adorable and he plays 'evil' Xander really well, while still having it be believable when the truth comes out later. I also enjoy Spike's scenes in the dump, god I love that manpire so much!
    4. The Weight of the World. Willow having to go inside a catatonic Buffy's mind and pull her out, when her hope has been taken from her. Spike and Xander visiting Doc together, Spike hitting Xander over the head in the hospital, lol. "This is gonna be worth it." Such a breathtaking episode and it's not even the season finale, I just love it. "Is everyone here very stoned?"
    3. Fool for Love. There's nothing I love more than some good flashbacks, especially when they revolve around my favorite character! Getting this more-than-a-glimpse into Spike's past, as a human, as a fledgling, killing the Slayers, everything was just stunning. JM was amazing through it all, and his chemistry with SMG in this one was off the charts. Let's not forget that ending either, just perfection.
    2. The Gift. As far as season finales go, to any show, this is pretty damn near perfect. An emotional wrecking ball, forgive the pun, that grabs you up and doesn't let go until the end credits roll. From Willow's teary words to Tara when she's back. "I'll always find you!" To Anya pushing Xander out of the way and getting hurt in his place. From Buffy and Giles' argument about whether to kill Dawn or not. "We're bloody well talking about this." To the look in Spike's eyes when Doc is about to throw him off the tower. And, of course, Buffy's speech to Dawn and subsequent sacrifice. "The hardest thing in this world, is to live in it." So many awesome parts I won't even mention, just stunning.
    1. The Body. How is it possibly anything else? "Strong like an amazon?" "We're not supposed to move the body!" Anya's entire speech, jesus, that chokes me up every single time. Xander punching the wall. The directing, the writing, the lack of any score, the unique set up, this is perfection more so than when I've used that word in the past for this list. This is another top 5 episodes of the whole series, for sure. Bloody hell...

And there you go :D

Fool for Buffy, Stoney and Mr Trick like this.
  18. Living Dead Boy

Living Dead Boy Joss Is A Very Flawed Boss

Black Thorn
    22. Out of My Mind
    21. The Replacement
    20. Real Me
    19. Triangle
    18. Shadow
    17. Listening To Fear
    16. I Was Made To Love You
    15. Buffy Vs Dracula
    14. Blood Ties
    13. Tough Love
    12. The Weight Of The World
    11. Into The Woods
    10. Crush
    9. Intervention
    8. Forever
    7. Checkpoint
    6. Family (underrated)
    5. No Place Like Home (definitely underrated)
    4. Spiral (the action sets were so awesome, the Knights have never bothered me honestly. And this episode ramps up the suspense very well.)
    3. The Body
    2. Fool For Love
    1. The Gift

Mr Trick likes this.