1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Rank the Season 9 Story Arcs

Discussion in 'Season 9' started by vellavu, Oct 29, 2015.

1. vellavu

vellavu Scooby

Black Thorn
    Here is my current ranking of Season 9. Just one read-through though (except for "The Core" which I like):

1. The Core (action-heavy, great tension, real danger, real stake)
    2. Welcome to the Team
    3. The Watcher
    4. Slayer, Interrupted
    5. Freefall
    6. Willow: Wonderland (not as bad as I thought)
    7. Spike: A Dark Place
    8. Guarded
    9. On Your Own
    10. Apart of Me
    11. Billy the Vampire Slayer (Why?)

2. EVIL UU

EVIL UU Scooby

I loved "The Core" and "Willow: Wonderland", "The Watcher" was pretty strong as well, "Guarded" and "Apart of Me" were pretty boring but at least they addressed some issues that needed to be addressed in my opinion and...that's it, really. Everything else just isn't very interesting or entertaining.

3. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    'The Core', 'The Watcher', 'Willow-Wonderland' were all preyy good. I would even say that 'the Core' was excellent in hindsight.

The rest was by turns boring ('Freefall', 'On Your Own'), utterly unfunny/dissapointing ('Welcome To The Team'/'Spike- A Dark Place'), offensive to women (The Buffybot pregnancy con), or just plain stupid (Billy?). Sometimes all at once.

The end of magic indeed...

4. gite63

gite63 Gone

Sineya
    Great season! The robot thing was OK, since it was Buffy's mind - and that is what matters. She decided to have an abortion - and her decision was real. They should have addressed the baby's soul - but that would be too much, they would NEVER be that courageous. Anyway, I don't think the comics is a place for that type of discussion.
    • On Your Own
    • Apart of Me
    • The Core
    • Freefall
    • Willow: Wonderland
    • The Watcher
    • Spike: A Dark Place
    • Guarded
    • Spike: Magical Mistery Tour
    • In Space No One Can Hear You Slay
    • Slayer, Interrupted
    • Welcome to the Team
    • Love vs Life
    • Billy the Vampire Slayer

5. The Ferg

The Ferg Mine is an evil laugh!

1. Freefall
    2. The Core
    3. Guarded
    4. Welcome to the Team
    5. Slayer, Interrupted
    6. The Watcher
    7. On Your Own
    8. Apart (of Me)
    9. Billy the Vampire Slayer

I really loved Freefall. I loved the "back to basics" approach, and the expanding cast of Buffy's roomies and Dowling, while keeping Buffy at the center. After that though, it just got boring and/or silly, but I did enjoy Guarded quite a bit. Welcome to the Team really pissed me off though. It wasn't a bad story per se, but it completely trashed the supposed mantra of focusing on smaller, more personal stories, after the ridiculous Season 8 conclusion. After that though, The Core definitely salvaged what could be salvaged with a decidedly epic storyline (definitely too epic, but they had already jumped the gun on Welcome to the Team). Overall, this season just isn't very good. It had a few stand-out moments, but not a single story that I felt really went above and beyond. It's easily the worst Buffyverse season overall. If it wasn't for the excellent Angel & Faith I honestly might've stopped buying Buffyverse comics back then.

It's really hard to rank these because they range from 5 issue epics, to single issue shorts, but I did the best I could. Honorable mentions go to the hilarious Magical Mystery Tour and In Space, No One Can Hear You Slay. Those were both really good, I just felt like they didn't belong on this list. Same goes for Willow and Spike's mini-series. If you're gonna add those, you might as well add all of the A&F arcs too. Love vs. Life, however, sucked about as much as Billy tVS, so I didn't bother.

gite63, thetopher and vellavu like this.
  6. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    Going back and reading it again I will say that's its at least blessed with some sharp dialogue (lacking later on). And I did like drunk Buffy. I'm not too keen on 'aimless screw-up Buffy' though, which is what Buffy is here and for most of the season.
    Also just after this arc Willow leaves and doesn't return for ages!

Agreed. The Buffy pregnancy thing is probably one of the most hated recent things in the Buffy fandom, all so we can have some pointless Spuffy angst.

'Guarded' is okay but I felt that the writers really missed a trick with Buffy finally facing off against W&H in what was basically a light-hearted issue arc.
    I think the Faith joining deepscan plot said the same stuff- 'these two slayers aren't like the other slayers because they can't turn their instincts off'- but using half the pages.
    Plus no silly squid demon thing.

What annoyed me is that the writers suddenly remember Severin from when they introduced him in the very first arc (he got taken down by a cop with a gun) and now he's this massive world-ending threat that even Illyria (Illyria restored to full power!) is somehow afraid of. Not to mention loads of other demon lords.
    I never bought it.
    Simone at least seemed to be an established threat- a slayer that could go one-on-one with Buffy or Spike nad have a decent chance of winning- but this guy? Illyria could just punch his head off.

The last thing that bugged me about this season was Buffy's own reactions to what she did last season. Basically she's all 'I had to break the seed' when people like Willow got on her case. Fine. I get that, break the seed or the wrold is overrun. What's never really addressed by anybody is the far worse stuff before hand- the Twilight shagging. That caused the whole thing in the first place.
    It's briefly mentioned by a royally pissed off Xander in The Watcher, but since he then goes to betray Buffy to Severin he quickly and convieniently loses all the moral high ground to Buffy.
    By the end of the season both Willow and Xander end up apologising to Buffy for 'letting her down'. It's ridiculous and simply lets Buffy off the hook with her friends rather than her having to say the words 'I made a mistake'.

Over on Angel they at least tried to address the whole thing- time and again in fact- with Angel himself admitting that he deserves a stake in the chest, but only after he's tried to undo as much of the damage as he can.

At least I enjoyed the intro of Koh and Anaheed. Dowling was too blank-slatey though and Billy was just hideous pandering. I'm glad that CG packed him off as quickly as possible and he was promptly forgotten about. 'He chose instead of being chosen.' JE's 'special snowflake' plot contrivance strikes again. :rolleyes:

Scooby Corps and The Ferg like this.
  7. vellavu

vellavu Scooby

Black Thorn
    That's just the first volume written by Joss himself. Vol. 2-Vol. 4 quickly degenerated in terms of in-character voices and humor.

Severin's power increases as he siphons other demons' power. So I guess he just didn't forget to level-up. But you are right I don't buy that he can defeat Illyria.

If I remember correct, the Twilight shagging really wasn't Buffy's fault.
    By the time they are shagging, real damages hadn't been done. Twilight was still a spy-like guy who works for the anti-slayer factions (as their leader) while weakening them secretly. Of course Buffy would buy his explanation. And then, when the shagging begins Buffy wasn't fully herself anymore, just like Angel.

Agreed. I also think Koh and Anaheed benefited somehow from their distinct (from the main cast) looks. The same for Satsu and Aluwyn. In contrast, I can hardly tell the difference between A&F S10 Faith and Fred, or Buffy S8 Erin and Buffy. That's pretty annoying.

thetopher likes this.
  8. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

Finally finished season 9!!

1. The Core
    2. Guarded
    3. Welcome to the Team
    4. The Watcher
    5. Slayer Interrupted
    6. Freefall
    7. Billy the Vampire Slayer
    8. On Your Own
    9. Apart (Of Me)

Basically, the start of the season was pretty weak but then I finally got into it.

The Ferg likes this.
  9. The Ferg

Well I totally disagree with you on almost every level, but I'm glad you enjoyed yourself! How far have you gotten in Season 10?

10. Priceless

Priceless She doesn't just fight evil, she redeems it

1. On Your Own
    2. Apart (of Me)
    3. The Watcher
    4. Freefall
    5. The Core
    6. Welcome to the Team
    7. Slayer, Interrupted
    8. Guarded
    9. Billy the Vampire Slayer

Love the Spuffy, love the pregnancy story, didn't see the point of Billy at all

11. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

Has your ranking changed since you posted it? It didn't seem that different from mine except for maybe Freefall which you loved and I didn't.

I only read New Rules so far but I loved it.

12. The Ferg

I suppose I was exaggerating, but I guess I was shocked at 'Billy' not being at the bottom of the list. You must have really not like that second volume. My biggest disagreement is that I think the season started out well, but lost it's footing as it went on. I do think that The Core was pretty solid for what it was, but I was super into the first half up until Billy and Welcome to the Team, which I think ruined the mantra of Season 9. And I totally disagree on Freefall's placement. There's a chance it just spoke to me at the time because I was feeling a little directionless, but I loved it, especially the new characters.