1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Rate the Last Book You've Read

Discussion in 'Sunnydale Cemetery' started by Blaze, Apr 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Why Buffy Matters (2008) - Rhoda Wilcox 8/10
    A thoughtfully written, accessible and passionate read. Raises some good debate, even if some of it may seem a bit far fetched.

2. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Play All: Bingewatcher's Notebook (2016) - Clive James 9/10
    A charming, witty and insightful assarement of the modern boxset, covering the likes of Mad Men, Game of Thrones, The West Wing, The Wire and The Sopranos with most things in-between. It nicely compares genres and has a good historical understanding of television. Highly recommended and its pretty short too.

3. nightshade

nightshade Watcher Staff Member

Black Thorn
    The Year of Reading Dangerously - Andy Miller 7/10

I mostly enjoyed it, however I felt he waffled on quite a bit in places, it's also a book that once you've read it there's no real reason so read it again.

4. Anyanka Bunny Killer

Anyanka Bunny Killer Jotunheim

Black Thorn
    The Good Earth - Pearl Buck 10/10

The story is so intricate and real. I felt like I was living with the characters; I've read thus book several tines throughout the years, and it is a definite favourite!

5. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Hunger Makes Me A Modern Girl - Carrie Brownstein (2016) 9/10
    Memoir by the front woman of Sleater-Kinney (one of my favourite bands!). She has a real skill for capturing certain moments from her past, and spinning them into the most vivid and poetic of stories. Growing up in the 80s means that she is able to give context about the past and how very different things are now. She's a likeable but also honest subject, and speaks a lot of common sense about gender in rock. As a big fan of the music too, I enjoyed the level of details she goes into about each SK album. I would recommend this book whether your a fan or not.

6. ItMustBeBunnies

ItMustBeBunnies Bugger off, you brolly!

Sineya
    From Cradle to Stage: Stories from the Mothers Who Rocked and Raised Rock Stars - Virginia Hanlon Grohl 7/10

This was written by Dave Grohl's mother. The interviews with other musician's mothers - like Amy Winehouse, Geddy Lee from Rush, Mike D from Beastie Boys and Tom Morello from Rage Against the Machine - were all pretty interesting. Although it was quite sad at times, particularly with Amy's mother, and Kurt Cobain's mother.

It was a nice, sweet little read. She is obviously just so proud of Dave.

Mr Trick: That does sound like a great idea for a book.
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
    Bluebird and Mr Trick like this.
  7. Taake

Taake Tweedledee Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Sapiens: a brief history of humankind - Yuval Noah Harari 2/5
    It's brief, so brief. Which makes it oh so shallow. Not to mention biased. All in all, meh. Easily read though.

The Red Tent - Anita Diamant 5/5
    Essentially midrash and of the better kind. Expands on the narratives of Jacob's daughter Dinah (and his wives) and attempts to tell the female side of the story. Beautifully written, imaginative and well researched. Shows the authors bias towards certain characters a bit too much though, she clearly felt that Leah got a raw deal in the Bible.

I tried watching the tv-show but it was terrible, why does tv always feel the need to add drama where it's not needed, and to add sappiness when it ruins a dramatic moment?

Point Horror Series: The Game, The Chase and The Kill - LJ Smith 4/5
    Fun, well written YA. The villain of the story is Spangelus, looks like Spike, acts like Angelus... until the end at least :p The ending of the last book was disappointing, but overall, good fun!

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  8. Blaze

Blaze Let it Burn

Black Thorn
    Scythe by Neal Shusterman (same guy that wrote the Unwind series) 8/10

Another very good YA year. Very similar quality to his Unwind series. This one is a bit different in that it is a utopia instead of a dystopia. It explores a future where people no longer die, and humanity has won the war against aging, diseases, and even accidental deaths. Because of that, it means that the population constantly grows, and as a way to solve this problem, select people are appointed to become scythes. Their work is to kill people following a strict set of rules. . This story follows two teenagers who are chosen to become scythes, and the journey they go through to do so. Again, it explores some pretty intense themes for a YA book

Bride to Terabithia -9.5/10

A childhood favourite of mine. The ending hits me hard every time, and without fail I end up crying like a baby every time I read it.

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  9. VisionBoy

VisionBoy Scooby

Sineya
    Spectacles- Sue Perkins (8/10)

A very fun read with some very genuine emotional moments. Made my train journeys feel a lot faster.

10. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    That sounds pretty awesome. I might have to buy that book. A world where people can't die? Do they go into the science of it? Dang it, now I need to read this. Lol

11. Priceless

Priceless I'll set something on fire

Peter Ackroyd - Civil War 8/10- This is Vol 3 of his history of England. Love Ackroyd's work, he's a great historian and his work is always accessible

12. Blaze

Blaze Let it Burn

Black Thorn

They don't really go in the science of it, at least not any legitimate science. But they do explain a lot of how things work, even if most of it is just made up sci-fi stuff. This author is really good at building worlds that seem real though! You won't be disappointed, you should definitely read it!

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  13. Fuffy Baith

Sineya
    Just one question and be honest. How many pages? Lol. You know me, I don't do long books. Lol

14. Blaze

Blaze Let it Burn

Black Thorn
    haha! Around 400. But it's not a hard read. You can tell it's aimed at YA, and the complexities are in the story, not in the writing itself. I finished it I think in 2-3 days.

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  15. Fuffy Baith

Sineya
    My max limit is like 300 pages. Lol. 2-3 days for you is like 6 weeks for me. :p Lol. I might buy it and give it a try. Lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.