1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Rate the Last Book You've Read

Discussion in 'The Game of Life' started by Blaze, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Monkey Pants

Monkey Pants Bored Now

Black Thorn
    Valley of the Dolls 10/10.
    I'm also currently reading the Buffy novel These Our Actors which is pretty good

2. ItMustBeBunnies

ItMustBeBunnies Bugger off, you brolly!

Sineya
    NOS4R2 - Joe Hill. This is the second time I have read this. Such a good book, its creepy and I love the characters. I had totally forgotten that there are Buffy and Firefly references in it! That made me smile. 9/10

I have just started Joe's new book The Fireman :)

Mr Trick likes this.
  3. Taake

Taake Tweedledee Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Re-read a few books for a summer course

Pride and Prejudice - 10/10. Great, now I'm obsessed with Mr Darcy again. (Looove this book)

Jane Eyre 7/10 - I love this one as well, a little bit less than P&P, but I do love it

Bridget Jones' Diary 1/10 - Oh man! I haven't read this since it was fairly 'new' (i.e. the 90's when I was probably too young for it granted) I remember liking it so I went into it expecting something... just something. This was terrible. I hated Bridget so much. She was vapid, needy and unredeemably selfish. At one point she wonders if she has any friends and at the point I couldn't find a single reason why she actually did have friends.

Mr Trick likes this.
  4. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Agreed on P&P, great book! Jane Eyre is on my list of books to read having seen a couple of strong screen versions. Have little intention of reading Bridget Jones. Did like the film though.

5. Taake

Black Thorn
    Seen the screen versions first? Blasphemy!

Yes, I'm one of those book-first people :p

Mr Trick: Yes, but as your well aware I am a film person, point taken though! Will aim to read it soon.
  6. Taake

Black Thorn
    -100/10, Bed of Roses by Nora Roberts
    Ugh. If it hadn't been for me having to read something by Roberts for my summer course I would never have finished this. This book made me hate reading. I can't describe how much I disliked it. It's a book without conflicts. Everyone is happy, and wonderful, and cute and merry and happy and blaaaaaaaahh all the time. It's a world where everything can be solved with a glass of lemonade, and where being a bit short toned with your recent honey is reason enough to go mental and break up. Just terrible from start to finish.

So, does anyone read romance novels? I have to pick one to read for the course, it has to have a happy ending, and I haven't the faintest where to start and not have to re-live this Roberts nightmare. So, any nice feel-good novels with happy endings you guys want to recommend? Pretty please, help me. :)

Mr Trick and vellavu like this.
  7. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Not sure I've ever read a romance novel? Does Jane Austin novels count? I think of them as more social satires, but with romantic elements. Guess I've read books with romantic elements. If their written with inventive, poetic dialouge then they can work. Wouldn't go out of my way to read one though.

8. Taake

Black Thorn
    Jane Austen counts, but we've already read Pride and Prejudice so I feel like I should be more "outside of the box" thinking, than reaching for Sense and Sensibility. :)

Mr Trick likes this.
  9. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Yeah maybe I should do a book class next as I'm a bit burnt out on media studies;)

10. Taake

Black Thorn
    It's a good idea, that's why I'm doing it! Felt like I needed a break from religion and politics. It's a lot of fun! Plus, I do enjoy trying to find new good books - even if it means you have to go through a few stinkers to get there.

Mr Trick likes this.
  11. GwenRaiden

GwenRaiden AKA Apology Girl

Black Thorn
    Not exactly "feel good" but about love and loneliness, feeling connected/disconnected, two coincidental tales of two people who find each other by losing themselves, etc. It's on the romance novel scale, with a bit of fairy tale thrown in too.

Miss Wyoming

Taake: Oh, thank you!
  12. Blaze

Blaze Let it Burn

Black Thorn
    Not sure how much it needs to be focused on the romance, but when it comes to romance I will always suggest anything by Sarah Waters. She does mostly gay romance, but her books always have many other plots outside of the romance even when the romance is the main focus. She writes a lot of great mystery, and plot twists. It's the kinda of author that you read if you hate romance, but you still want to read a book about romance if that makes sense. Fingersmith is my favourite, and I would consider it to have a happy ending (although her books are usually not very happy).

Mr Trick: Nice shout!
    Taake and Mr Trick like this.
  13. vellavu

vellavu Scooby

Black Thorn
    Linear Algebra Done Right

10/10.
    I'd finished PhD but this undergraduate textbook still gives me new insights from time to time.

@Blaze you should read it too.:D
    [​IMG]

14. Blaze

Blaze Let it Burn

Black Thorn
    When Women Were Warriors
    Book I: 9/10
    Book II: 8.5/10
    Book III: 9.5/10

Overall I really liked this series. It's a nice little fantasy series that has great view points from women. I found myself really connecting with some of the emotions shown in the book. You could tell that these books were written by a woman, for women (although I think some guys would enjoy them for sure), compared to the more typical fantasy books that are men focused. It was nice seeing a book that showed a matriarchal society, and where women were not restricted in their roles by their sex, or sexuality for that matter.

Reading math is the worst! Actually reading any textbook is the worst! I do like doing math though! (I don't know math beyond first year calc in uni). Fun fact, I also have a hard time with math terms in English, my math brain is wired in French.

vellavu likes this.
  15. vellavu

vellavu Scooby

Black Thorn
    I checked and only found English and Chinese versions of this book. No French translation.:(

I've heard that some French elementary schools teach kids Abel groups in abstract algebra before teaching addition. Maybe it's just a joke, maybe it's true. But I guess they don't really need any English math books to translate from.:D

Blaze: Lol well I can comfirm that in my school we never studied abstract algebra
  16. Blaze

Blaze Let it Burn

Black Thorn
    Black Beauty 9/10

I think it's a beautifully written children (or not so children)'s book, which does well at showing the abuse horses can face, especially back at this time where they were used for work. I had never read the book before, but the movie adaptation is surprisingly well made and very faithful (from my memories), and the book did not disappoint. It was a very sad, captivating story. There are one or two small detail that bothered me (for example foaming at the mouth is described as this awful thing, but salivation while riding indicates the acceptance of the bit, and the horse carrying themselves properly and in a relaxed manner. It can be an indication of something bad, but in most cases, salivation is good, and much better than a dry mouth). That being said, for the most part the book conveyed the right message, without trying to demonize all horse work and riding practices.

Fuffy Baith and Mr Trick like this.
  17. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Unicorn; The Poetry of Angela Carter 7.5/10

Read this awhile ago so don't remember too much about it. But the essays included are really useful and well written, and of course being Carter the poetry itself is very daring, and inventive, bits of it felt a bit clunky and silly, but for the most part its a nice extension of her novels.

Am now reading Stranger than Fiction The Life of Edgar Wallace, The Man Who Created King Kong, by Neil Clark.

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  18. Taake

Black Thorn
    Utvandrarna (The Emigrants #1) - Vilhelm Moberg 3/5
    nice to read in contrast with City of My Dreams by Fogelström which I read earlier this year. Both series start around 1830-1850s. Basically, City of... series are the people who stayed in Sweden, well Stockholm specifically, and the rough go they had of it. And the Emigrant series are about the farmers who give up and get out, risking their lives on the tricky journey across the sea hoping for a better future.

That said, this first book was kind of meh for me. Everyone has a reason for leaving, they all get a story, which is nice. The trip is described in miserable detail. But it gets a bit dull. The women are worried about - the food, their children, leaving their country (which most were either forced or weakly convinced to leave), as well as the sickness and death aboard. The men meanwhile are braggarts or... horny. It's hard to feel for them at all sometimes.

That said it'll be interesting to continue the series as this one ends with them stepping onto land, for the first time in three months, in New York City. It'll be interesting partly to see their false hope be crushed into smithereens because the first book they have only second hand reports to go on regarding the New World and it is, well, gloriously optimistically described, shall we say. So, interesting times ahead I'm guessing.

The Iliad - Homer, 5/5
    Fourth time I'm reading this... not sure anymore, losing count. Recently realized I have four different editions of this book, at what point does it become excessive? :p
    Needless to say, love it. Who needs Game of Thrones when you have the ancient greeks and their love of descriptive gore. Sometimes the violent deaths/battles get a bit overwhelming, but then there's typically a comic relief break by visiting Mt Olympus, so it balances out. Sometimes I hate myself for reading this though, because it's agony to read it when you're #TeamTroy and doomed to heartbreak... you don't even get to "see" Achilles die which is what you want after his treatment of Hector. *grumbles*
    Might have to re-read the Aeneid to console myself now! If only I had the time.

19. Washburne

Washburne Protector of the key.

Black Thorn
    You're never weird on the internet (almost) - 7,5/10

The autobiography of Felicia Day. If you're expecting stories from the sets of Buffy, Supernatural, Dr Horrible's sing-along blog or Eureka you'll be severely disappointed. You'll get more of The Guild which is natural since it's her creation but not about the other actors. This might be seen by some as self centered but she explains why she doesn't mention others. Other than that besides the geeky stuff it's about her youth, being home schooled, anxiety, depression, self doubt, high expectations and her take on Gamergate. If you're familiar with Felicia you'll probably hear her voice throughout. Which to me is a good thing. If you're not familiar with her or don't like her that can obviously affect the feeling you get by reading the book.

Autobiographies can rarely be called masterpieces and this is no exception but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Mr Trick likes this.
  20. Taake

Black Thorn
    The Almost Nearly Perfect People: Behind the myth of the Scandinavian Utopia - Michael Booth, 3/5
    Granted this book is mostly sweeping generalizations, a lot of things that'll just make you roll your eyes (at least if you're from here) but it's also really funny and there is a core of truth in a lot of what he writes, just take the bulk with a pinch of salt. It's a good book to laugh along with. The chapter on Sweden is almost hilariously unflattering, basically I got the feeling from Booth that he would recommend you just read Brave New World instead of visiting the "serene swan"/"stepfordwife" of the North, and get the same effect.

"... deep down, there might exist some traces of humanity within the Swedish psyche..." Lol, it's not the only time he questions our humanity either,

Well well, this little swan is going to swim along and leave you with this quote:
    "Despite their highly advanced education systems, Scandinavians are addicted to Midsomer Murders. Give them an ivy-clad Cotswold cottage and a fresh corpse and they are in heaven."

*writes this as I'm on my way to log out in order to watch... some Midsomer Murders* What's wrong with Midsomer Murders?? :D

Priceless likes this.