1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Rate the Last Book You've Read

Discussion in 'Sunnydale Cemetery' started by Blaze, Apr 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    My wife watches it all the time and I join her when I have nothing else/better to do. It is actually a good police procedural show where the death toll makes Sunnydale look like Mayberry. Sunnydale has 38,500 people? Midsomer has about 3% of that but the same number of deaths. The British do television differently - people are not selected for attractiveness, they represent and look like ordinary people. If @Taake joined the cast, she would be the best looking one there.

The thing about procedurals is you can just watch like a passive viewer (like me) or you can try to think ahead and anticipate whodunit (like my wife). Sort of like The Puppet Show and Earshot but with real clues.

Taake: I'm a passive watcher too, I find the show quite lovely and down to earth (except that death toll...)
    Priceless likes this.
  2. VisionBoy

VisionBoy Scooby

Sineya
    My grandfather used to get into the most hilariously passionate, angry rants about how it didn't make sense that anyone still lived in Midsomer. Kinda hard to argue with after an 18 season run I guess. :p

3. Priceless

Priceless I'll set something on fire

The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (JK Rowling) - The characters were well drawn, the detective and his side kick had real depth (is there romance in their future?) I liked the writing style, it kept me gripped and I only guessed the murderer in the last couple of chapters. Ordered the next one in the series and am looking forward to starting it.

wickedtiger86: I've been meaning to check this one out. I'll have to get it soon.
  4. wickedtiger86

wickedtiger86 Scooby

Sineya
    A Farewell to Arms - Ernest Hemingway

I feel like Hemingway is a love him or hate him kind of writer. I happen to love him. This book kicked me in the face. I like that in a book.

I mean, on the surface it's about a guy leaving the military but of course that's not all it's about.

Plus his writing style. Such simple sentences but the words are so effectively chosen that there is nothing simple about it.

5. Lyri

Lyri Buckle Up Tight

Sineya
    The Rest of Us Just Live Here

This was a birthday gift that I got back in February, but I lost it, lol. Found it this week and started it on Monday, and I kinda devoured it, lol. It's a very easy book to read, there wasn't really any tedious chapters that I had to struggle to get through. The book is sort of like a feature length version of 'The Zeppo', in that the 'main action' is happening adjacent to the main characters, we get snippets of what's going on with the 'hero' kids and the main characters continue to wonder what's going on and whether it's 'vampires or soul eating ghosts again, or something different this time', while living out their normal lives and panicking about graduation and prom and college and dating. It was an interesting take on the genre and the hero trope. I liked it a lot.

6. JCoatsworth

JCoatsworth UP THE IRONS!

Black Thorn
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - 8.5/10
    Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
    - 8/10

I liked both a lot better than the movies. I think the movies were quite good, especially the first one, but the Chamber of Secrets book was a lot more gripping than the film version. Just started Prisoner of Azkaban and I love it already.

7. Taake

Taake Tweedledee Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Thinking, Fast & Slow - Daniel Kahneman 6/10
    It's a good book, the first part of it are fascinating, fun and interesting to read. Then it goes down hill. Or at least it did for me. It took me forever to finish it because frankly it just got tedious. I didn't even read the two articles with the original work of his theories which are included at the end of the thing because I really just wanted the book to be over. I think that's a flaw of the author because it's a miscalculation of how interesting his stories are, how valuable the points he is making are and how long the average reader will stick with them. The second part should have been dieted, less repetition, just... less. I would still recommend the book though, because it's truly great and informative... but maybe don't be surprise if you stumble on the finish line.

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - 7/10
    It's the book I didn't even know I wanted. Ok, no, I still don't really want this one, or find it essential in anyway, but I did really enjoy it. Bottom line: is utterly unnecessary, but nice all the same.
    I couldn't really stand adult Harry, but his son as well as Draco's son were great characters, their interractions made me want a proper book about them (with as little Harry as possible). I think this book/play made it clear that the Ron/Hermione pairing was an entire mistake, just terrible, Rowling get in your time-machine and un-do this! In general it's a bit cheesy, sometimes dumb
    Voldermort has a love child? PLEASE what is this nonsense? Can we undo this little plot device as well? Thank you!
    but it was nice to be back at Hogwarts a final time.

8. The Bronze

The Bronze Rogue Demon Hunter

Black Thorn
    NOFX: The Hepatitis Bathtub and Other Stories - 10/10

I've just finished the audiobook and it is an amazing journey. The book tells the tale of the members of NOFX from their childhood up to the present day. The audiobook is actually the band reading their own chapters. It's like being in the pub listening to them tell their story.

Obviously I picked this up as a fan of the band but since I'm not a big reader and have never read a biography I didn't know if I'd enjoy it. No worries it's completely gripping.

This book covers so many different tales that you'll laugh, cry and be genuinely moved. It can go from practical jokes to tales of abuse. From crazy S&M to murder.

Even if you're not a fan there's bound to be something in here for you. Plenty of stories about other bands over the last 30 years. Hearing about heroin addiction first hand was a real eye opener for me as well.

GwenRaiden likes this.
  9. Blaze

Blaze Let it Burn

Black Thorn
    The Picture of Dorian Gray 5/10

I know this is a good book, technically speaking. Good writing, good idea, awesome concept and great social commentary. However I just found it really boring at times. None of the characters are likeable, which is the point of the story, but it also makes it that it's hard to get invested. I expected more from the book. I feel like it skipped over the parts I really wanted to know about, and there was whole chapters dedicated to fairly boring descriptions. I think this would probably get a higher rating if I wasn't expecting something more from it.

Ammonite 8/10

Enjoyable dystopian type science fiction about a world on a human colonized planet where a virus killed all the men, and altered the DNA of the females to allow reproduction and survival. It has good world building, interesting conflicts, but mostly it has good characters. I don't have many critism aside from wanting to know a bit more about everything. I wouldn't have complained if this book had an extra 50 pages detailing more aspects of the planet, and the cultures. Good read for people wanting a female perspective on things.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  10. Taake

Black Thorn
    About Religion: Economies of Faith in a Virtual Cutlure - Mark C. Taylor 3/5
    Eventhough this book sometimes made me want to tear my hair out, deconstruction is a pain in the a**, it was a worthwhile read. Now I would never have finished it if it hadn't been for school and when reading it again I will definitely read it in small doses.

Here's a lovely sample of it that I whined about to my fellow Black Thornians before...

"Denegation, by contrast, is a negation that denies itself and, by so doing, repeats the negation it apparently negates. To de-negate is to un-negate; but this un-negation remains a form of negation. More precisely, denegation is an un-negation that affirms rather than negates negation. The affirmation of negation by way of denegation subverts the negation of negation effected by way of dialectical activity."

Good times...o_O

:eek:

...:eek:

Nah, fair enough, I can see your points.* For me it's a personal favorite, I probably read it once a year. :) (Speaking of, lol, I recently listened to a documentary where a guy identified himself with Dorian Gray. Yeah, that's not really a good thing in my book.)

*may or may not be saying this because Blaze is a mad scientist and could trap me in her lab

Priceless: Huh? That made me feel soooo dumb
    Blaze and Priceless like this.
  11. Blaze

Blaze Let it Burn

Black Thorn
    To be fair a lot of it had to do with the mindset I had going in. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but this wasn't it! Maybe in a year or so I will reread it, and judge it more fairly.

That poor man who identifies with Dorian Geay though :p that is certainly not something I would ever admit in public if I were him!! (Part of my dislike of the book had to do with how much I disliked Dorian, which is pretty much a good thing in retrospect).

Taake likes this.
  12. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    Isn't Dorian Gray the ultimate example of a Black Thorn?

13. Blaze

Blaze Let it Burn

Black Thorn
    Na :p For most of the book Dorian actually convinced himself that he was a good person and his actions were justified. Here at BT we fully akcnowledge our evilness ;) Beside, we would never destroy a portrait that allows us eternal youth!! What a fool!

Taake likes this.
  14. Taake

Black Thorn
    No, Dorian is the great and precious Sineyan who gets corrupted because evil is awesome, and you guys are weak :p

Blaze likes this.
  15. Taake

Black Thorn
    Gilead - Marilynne Robinson 10/10
    Beautiful story, beautiful writing, perfect pacing. A book to read slowly and enjoy, as I did, immensely.

16. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

"Wolf And Iron" by Gordon Dickson

It's a post apocalypse story about a young man who forms a partnership with a wolf while traveling to his brother's cattle ranch in Montana. Good story. Much more narrative than dialog, though the protagonist does interact with other people. Not your typical "Road Warrior" or "Resident Evil" global disaster story, but more the simple survival process as a young man, not really equipped to handle such a situation, learns how to live in a harsh new world.

17. Taake

Black Thorn
    Odinsbarn - Siri Pettersen (Ravenringene 1)
    2.5/5

Norweigan YA fantasy novel. I really like the lead character Hirka and her father, I thought it was an interesting idea and world but... a lot of exposition, a lot of info dumps, at times it was just slow and boring to get through. The good parts were really good, but the other parts were such a snooze that I'm not sure I'll continue the series. For fantasy fans this might be something though. I might re-read it at some point and see if I like it better then.

18. Taake

Black Thorn
    Wohoo, so proud of myself! Just finished the first novel in French since High School! I read "Demain" by Guillaume Musso - 3/5. It was a good story, I enjoyed the characters and the plot twists. Sometimes I felt a bit frustrated with the pace, it definitely could've been a little shorter, and I'm not 100% sold on the end. But all in all it was a fun thriller.

19. JCoatsworth

JCoatsworth UP THE IRONS!

Black Thorn
    And Then There Were None - 9/10

20. Geobubbles

Geobubbles Can I play with the puppy?

Black Thorn
    Still Alice
    9/10

Absoluely beautiful book, I loved it so much. Finished it in one day and was sobbing all the way through. Would recommend to anyone who has a relative dealing with Alzheimer's disease.

Mr Trick likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.