1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Rate the last movie you've seen #20

Discussion in 'Sunnydale Cemetery' started by Athena, Aug 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Athena

Athena Tweedledum Staff Member

Black Thorn
    And... GO!

2. Blaze

Blaze Let it Burn

Black Thorn
    Margarita with a Straw 7/10

I love the diversity in this movie, it's great to see a movie with people of colour, people with disabilities, and people of different sexualities. The main actress pulls a phenomenal performance, very believable. However, the main character is also pretty unlikable for much of the movie. Which is acceptable for this coming of age tale since that's pretty much what teenagers are, but you also don't particularly root for the characters. Still, it was nice to see a movie that tries to tackle some of the lesser talked issues in cinema. It was also nice that they didn't make the movie about the main characters disability, but more so about her as a teenager discovering who she is.

3. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    @Blaze Have you seen Tangerine? It's one of the best movies I've ever seen. I loved it! It's a beautiful story about friendship, loneliness, unhappiness, poverty, dysfunctionality. It tackles complex issues like prostitution, LGTB rights, in a very humane and sympathetic way. It's also a movie about transgender women, played by transgender actresses and features a very diverse group of characters.
    I saw the movie some time ago, so I can't offer a comprehensive review, but I remember it blew my mind. It's a 10/10.

4. Blaze

Blaze Let it Burn

Black Thorn
    I haven't seen it no, in fact I hadn't even heard about it! I will take a look, I saw it was actually on Netflix which is great!

Carrie Hopewell likes this.
  5. POTN

POTN Townie

Star Trek Beyond

Better than 2 (which I hated,) slightly less interesting than 1. The Onion did a great bit on the first Star Trek movie: Fan's Bash New Star Trek Film As 'Fun, Watchable.' Problem is I AM ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE. For me Next Gen and DS9 were more about characters and ideas instead of set pieces. In one of the most memorable episodes of TNG, Picard spends the entire episode passed out on the bridge dreaming and in the episodes big climax, he gets a flute. Great Sci Fi uses the medium to kind of, turn the prism on accepted ideas and give you a new perspective. The new Star Trek movies are more just fun fantasy films. And that's all well and good but I miss old Trek talking about morality and philosophy.

I think I've finally acclimated now. For this third one I was able to shut my brain up enough and just kind of enjoy it. 7 out of 10?

6. Samuel Reyes

Samuel Reyes Chilling in SunnyD

Lights Out - 7/10: Teresa Palmer makes for a good heroine in what is otherwise a typical horror flick. Creepy child? Check. Crazy mother who talks to dead people? Check. Vengeful spirit that just won't let the **** go? Check. There's also a subversion of the typical 'idiot boyfriend' rule in that he actually turns out be useful. Otherwise, nothing particularly memorable or impressive, but nothing weighing it down, either, so it's a worthwhile 80 minutes for fans of the genre.

Ice Age Collision Course - 4/10:
    It's hard to believe this started off as a gritty, somber saga about three prehistoric misfits trying to reunite a boy with his family, and learning a little something about themselves along the way. Now it's a pop-culture-laden claptrap with absolutely no heart, inspired ideas, originality, or scientific accuracy. The Scrat segments are also getting annoying -- it's hard to stay invested if you know he's always going to fail in his pursuit of the acorn. And were we really expected to believe that he created the galaxy and the Milky Way? Even for a cartoon that's a bit much, and not clever at all.

VisionBoy: They made another Ice Age movie? I only just found out there were 4 of them, let alone 5. Geesh.
  7. Blaze

Blaze Let it Burn

Black Thorn
    The Girl King 8/10

This would have been better suited as a series or mini-series, but I still enjoyed the movie very much. Recommended if you're a fan of historical fiction. (It was also quite a shame that many of the scenes included in the trailer were not part of the movie, again, the movie just seemed too short to tell the story it wanted to tell).

HowiMetdaSlayer: Been meaning to see this...
    Fuffy Baith and HowiMetdaSlayer like this.
  8. VisionBoy

VisionBoy Scooby

Sineya
    The Fault in Our Stars- 7.5/10

Well, that was as horrendously sad as I expected. Watchable enough; well acted. The way it turned out was pretty predictable and it kinda seemed like they thought that was a twist... but even, so it was decent.

Fuffy Baith and Samuel Reyes like this.
  9. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Its great to have Maria Bello back in cinemas. One of the most underrated actresses and I will check that film out just for her.

A Fish Called Wanda (1988) 8/10
    A smartly crafted, and offbeat comedy. A range of entertaining characters and funny performers with Jamie Lee Curtis proving once again that she has charm and smarts to go along with her sex appeal. Kevin Kline is one hell of a heel too.

Open Graves (2008) 3/10
    Dumbo straight to DVD horror. The cast are completey fotgettable and there is a distinct lack of surpense or originality.

Miles Ahead (2016) 7/10
    Enjoyable Miles Davis biopic which is at its best when its a character study. Don Cheadle and Ewan McGregor had good chemstry. The best performance of all came from Emayatzy Corinealdi who gave a powerful turn in a tricky role as Davis' suffering wife. There were some dark moments to along with the thrills. Some of the action scenes spoiled the flow, and the direction was a little flat in places. But a decent effort.

10. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    Haha. I caught this on SyFy at like 8am once. It really is a bad movie. Eliza and Mike Vogel are hot... I mean good to look at, I mean... no I mean hot. Lol:D. That's about all it has going for it. The ending is terrible! It's like a horror version of Jumanji but not as fun.

Mr Trick likes this.
  11. The Bronze

The Bronze Rogue Demon Hunter

Black Thorn
    Suicide Squad - 3/10
    I went in optimistic that this would be good fun even if it wasn't likely to be anything special. Unfortunately this was the fourth low quality cinema visit in a row. The squad are introduced and then reintroduced a couple of times. They battle generic faceless monsters. Armed with a generic witless script.

There are plot holes everywhere. The main villains are pantomime style. You don't really know or care much about any of the people on screen. I laughed a couple of times and will award a bonus point for Will Smith.

Mike and Dave need wedding dates - 7/10

This does exactly what it promises in the trailer. You sit down and enjoy a good laugh. It's not trying to be anything other than fun and that's fine. Zac Efron has made a lot of this style film now and he's very good at the role. The four leads all get some laugh out loud moments and you just come out happy. The description of push pops was probably the highlight.

12. Priceless

Priceless All that's best of dark and bright

Ghostbusters 2016 - Started out funny and well paced, great set up for introducing the characters and some very funny dialogue. It was over long and the actual ghost-hunting scenes could have been cut down without losing anything 7/10

Samuel Reyes likes this.
  13. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    UP: 10/10: Funny, moving and imaginative. A wonderful film from start to finish, full of fresh characters, great visuals, and a heartfelt message about following your dreams and it never being too late to live your life.

Trance: 8/10: Very twisty-turny heist film that uses literal mind games to great effect. None of the characters are exactly likeable but it still works as an engaging piece of cinema. Great cast as well.

14. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

And they actually managed to make Eliza dull which is quite some achivement;)

Think I might give this a go. Looks one of the better recent romcoms. Really like the cast too.

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  15. Athena

Black Thorn
    Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Ultimate Edition) - 5/10

I wasn't expecting greatness so borrowed this off a friend. Accidentally stuck on the three hour Ultimate Edition (husband picked the wrong disc out of the case!) and boy was it a slog to watch. First hour dragged, got to hour 2 and it started to pick up and the final hour was enjoyable and just about saves the score. I had a look online at the difference and apparently the movie makes more sense with the extra 30mins they cut out of the theatrical release? But anyway, I have to say for a film called Batman v Superman there's not much 'versus'. And the eventual fight we got was a bit dull. They should have just called it Dawn of Justice, because it's very clear they're setting it up for the Justice League.

Standout performances from Ben Affleck who was a surprisingly good Bruce Wayne. Gal Gadot was intriguing as Wonder Woman. Jeremy Irons was very good as Alfred. Everyone else was a bit off, Holly Hunter was vastly underused & Amy Adams, although apparently had a bigger part in the Ultimate Edition, still just felt like the standard damsel in distress trope. The plot felt very clunky and I just didn't like Jesse Eisenberg at all.

It had some good bits but mainly I was clock watching and wishing it would finish faster. I went on Facebook several times during the movie. And I had seriously achey legs at the end from having to sit still for three hours!

Samuel Reyes: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice League
  16. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Irons as Alfred is a great bit of casting!:) Hunter is just the sort of actress which this sort of blockbuster cram in to give it some character acting cred. But a better film like the Dark Knight worked because such an actress would fit in as a crucial part of an assemble cast. Adams can do much better too I agree. Eisenberg is becoming and more annoying to me.

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  17. HowiMetdaSlayer

HowiMetdaSlayer Occasionally, I am callous and strange.

Recently watched BBC documentary When Albums Ruled The World. Really enjoyed it. :)

18. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    The Hateful Eight 7/10

Look, it's a Quentin Tarantino movie, so it's good, obviously.
    It has an amazing cast, really strong performances, beautiful sets, great music and a well written script. Anyone who's seen a Tarantino movie knows to expect strong language, violence, the death of most of the characters, moral ambiguity, etc., and 'The Hateful Eight' is no exception - it delivers all of that and more (it's graphic on a 'Kill Bill' level).
    However, the movie is simply too long (3 hours or so), drags a lot, lacks an element of surprise (regardless of how predictable Tarantino's movies can be in general), and just feels very underwhelming. It also lacks emotion. Tarantino's movies are often about well deserved revenge. Who wasn't moved by Uma Thurman's tears at the end of Kill Bill 2 - when she finally had her daughter and succeeded in destroying everything that was left of her old life? Who wasn't satisfied in 'Inglourious Basterds' when Shosanna burnt down the theater? When this movie was over, all I felt was relief, hunger and a need to use the restroom.
    All I can say is that I hope Tarantino is finally done with westerns and 3 hour long movies.

Mr Trick: Pretty much all his films are too long, bar Jackie Brown and Pulp Fiction.
    Slayerofslayers and Priceless like this.
  19. Athena

Black Thorn
    Also, who calls their Mum by their first name when
    stating they have to save her. You'd say "I have to save my mum" or "I have to save her!", not "I have to save Martha."!
    And then Batman's all like "Oh, I like you now, because my mum's also called Martha, but she died so I want to make sure your mother doesn't"?
    Lame. :rolleyes:

Washburne likes this.
  20. Blair

Blair Vamp Blair

Sineya
    Ghost Busters- the new one.

Absolutely loved the new one. The casting was great. I loved the storyline. Loved the humour.

9/10

Fuffy Baith likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.