1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Rate the last movie you've seen #20

Discussion in 'Sunnydale Cemetery' started by Athena, Aug 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Arrival (2016) 8/10
    One of the year's standout films. It neatly blends a number of genre elements into an intelligent, moving, and suspensful Sci-Fi thriller. Great character drama, great effects, powerful score. Adams is great as always and Renner gives his most likeable performance to date.

Lust for Life (1956) 7/10
    Its at its best as a character driven piece. Kirk Douglas gives profound performance, and there are some sparky scenes between him and Anthony Quinn. The film also does a very good job of giving poetic life to Van Gogh's work. Its a little stagy at other times.

JCoatsworth: Arrival is my favorite movie of 2016 by far.
    JCoatsworth likes this.
  2. JCoatsworth

JCoatsworth UP THE IRONS!

Black Thorn
    Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - 7/10
    Well, there's certainly no doubt that this is the best of the now four prequels :p
    Seriously though, it's a really good film. But don't go in expecting light sabers and stuff. This is a war film. Parts of it are like the game Star Wars: Battlefront (the old one!), which I love, made into a movie. The film felt to me like the last 40 minutes or so of Return of the Jedi with all the Jedi taken out. And although the scope of the movie is tremendous, it feels weirdly grounded. For example, there's a whole planet being destroyed and it doesn't feel like your typical Michael Bay/Zack Snyder whatever action movie. And the dog fights, while being action packed, have lots of old-school Star Wars dialog between the pilots thrown in. There are a couple of things that bugged me, but they're not that important.
    There are lots of little surprises - for me, anyway, don't know how much the latest trailers and TV spots gave away - and a few nods to the other films. The musical score by Michael Giacchino is pretty solid. He's no match for Williams, but I'd say he did great if you think about what tremendous task this must have been to fill these shoes.
    Anyway, if you like old-school Star Wars and the actual wars in Star Wars and not just the light saber battles, then you're likely going to enjoy this.

Fuffy Baith and Mr Trick like this.
  3. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    If you want to be pedantic about it Giacchino only had to fill Desplat's shoes.

4. Bloody William

Bloody William Potential

David Brent: Life on the Road

Ricky Gervais is someone I want to dislike but can't. He was great in 'The Office' & 'Derek', I wasn't too keen on 'Extras'. Really enjoyed this film! As expected cringeworthy, funny, emotional at times. Highly recommended over Christmas as it has a kind of feel good factor.

And probably a total opposite,
    Mr Nobody
    An older film (2009), I loved 'The Butterfly Effect' and this is a similar kind of film, makes you think about the choices you make in life and the consequences.

I would give both these films 9/10!

Mr Trick likes this.
  5. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

I agree and its probably one of the best television character turned into films, films;)

Meek's Cutoff (2011) 7.5/10
    Beautifully composed character driven Western. There's intriging tension to the story and between the characters throughout. The use of location is powerful and atmospheric. It has great female characters in it too.

6. JCoatsworth

Black Thorn
    No, 'cause Williams set the benchmark. Desplat doesn't have anything to do with my expectations for a Star Wars score.

7. JCoatsworth

Black Thorn
    Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - 7.5/10
    I went to see it again with a friend who hadn't seen it yet and I was in the mood for some Star Wars, and I've got to say it was better the second time.
    The first time, I felt like the biggest weakness of the film were the characters. We're given no background info on any of them, except for Gyn, and maybe Cassian, and that really bothered me. But then I thought about the first Star Wars. What exactly do we know about Leia? What about Han and Chewbacca's past? Darth Vader's motivations? Nothing at all, actually. All that came later. Many of the things that reviewers criticized about the characters in Rogue One is applicable to Star Wars (1977) as well and nobody bats an eye because they've seen the film and it's sequels a dozen times. With that in mind, I watched the film again, and, now already being kind of familiar with the characters, it was actually a lot better.
    I'd also like to address some more spoiler-y stuff, so here we go.
    One of the things that totally took me out of the movie was CGI Tarkin. He actually does look pretty good, but you can easily tell that he's not a real human and that is totally irritating. I also think it is kind of disrespectful towards Cushing. I don't know. It's just weird. I think it would have worked better with make up that doesn't look exactly like Cushing. CGI Leia looks a lot better in my opinion. Not completely like Carrie Fisher, but I couldn't really tell whether it was motion capture or make up or some mixture. It looked pretty great, in my opinion, although we wouldn't really have needed to see her face, I guess.
    And then there is Darth Vader, of course. What can I say, His scenes are badass. I think when he walks up to Ben Mendelsohn's character he doesn't really walk like Vader should walk, but the rest of the scene is great, and the final scene with him is also pretty incredible. Many complained that were way too few scenes with him, but I disagree. Less is more sometimes.
    And as I stated before, the score is a little weaker than I'd have liked it to be, but there are some nice new themes and cues stuck out more this second time. I think Giacchino reused a little too many themes from the other films, but one moment that stuck out was the little theme we hear when seeing Vader for the very first time. I didn't expect this theme, because it probably wouldn't be the obvious choice and it isn't as well known. But I loved it.
    One more thing I'd like to point out is that I really liked that every main character dies. You rarely see something like that these days, especially in films that are part of these huge franchises. I guess it helped that there already is a direct sequel to the film.

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  8. Athena

Athena Tweedledum Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - 8.5/10
    Best. Prequel. EVER!
    In many ways, this actually trumps The Force Awakens, which played a lot on the nostalgia of the original trilogy. This one takes place just before the original Star Wars, and to be honest I did have a couple of minor grumbles with it, but in all honesty it's funny, it's emotional, I cried like a baby (more than I cried at Force Awakens) and I was so emotionally invested in the characters. True, we don't get much of a history for some, as @JCoatsworth mentions above, but I don't think we need it for the rebels, otherwise the movie would have been weighed down more than it needed to be.

Also, I'm so happy that
    we have a man and a woman partnership on screen that doesn't end up all romantic and gooey. Jyn and Cassian at the end, just holding each other is perfect!
    @JCoatsworth - Just to comment on your spoilers
    I completely agree with you about Peter Cushing. He was noticeably and obviously CGI (as he's been dead a long time!) and while I thought it worked for the story, I do wonder what this means for the use of an actors likeness, their estate etc. I loved the Leia shot though, I'm so glad they kept her out of it til the end. I kinda wish they'd done the same for Grand Moff Tarkin, and also for C3PO and R2D2, their inclusion felt very forced IMO. Vadar didn't walk like Vadar, you're right. And whilst I cried like a baby at the end, I'm also so glad they all died, because they needed to in order to give it that emotional punch and show just how vital getting this information back to the rebellion is.

It just shows how great this material can be when it's not in Lucas' hands. Gareth Edwards has done a great job and I hope any other "Star Wars Stories" they will inevitably make match the scope and quality of this.

Fuffy Baith and redruM like this.
  9. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    Rogue One 2.5/5
    Overrated movie in which everything that you expected to happen, happened. To make up for that, a metric ton of fan service was shoved down your throat by way of the reshoots. Much like Transformers movies are littered with product placement, so too was this if the "product" was nods to other SW movies. It's the same thing that I find wrong with the Marvel movies. And yes, it's another Star Wars prequel with poor dialogue and acting. It's not horrible though, it's merely average but overhyped because of the name Star Wars.

10. Nix

Nix Queen of Coffee!!

Sineya
    9/10
    Suicide Squad
    Loved this film so much. I know some do and some dont but I loved it.

Priceless likes this.
  11. JCoatsworth

Black Thorn
    Arrival - 9/10
    Third time for me. This cements it. One of my favorite science fiction films of all time. Simply beautiful.

12. Athena

Athena Tweedledum Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Suicide Squad - 3/10

The trailers for this were fantastic. Like seriously, the people who made this trailer are phenomenal, because they made a fantastic trailer for a really confused and convoluted movie....

I'll spoiler tag my comments but overall I thought it was a great concept wasted by just a severe lack of overall direction. The actors were on the most part well cast, I liked Will Smith (playing Will Smith, but a good version of Will Smith) and I liked Margot Robbie (even though she felt like window dressing a lot of the time) but it felt like a first act and third act with no concept of a second act. I feel a lot of this movie is on the cutting room floor and it feels so disjointed..... like they were spooked at DCHQ after Batman v Superman and decided midway to do something different. The trailer made it out to be so interesting. I just wish the finished movie was as great as its trailer.

First off, there are far too many characters, so much so most are hardly used. Killer Croc, Katana.... even Boomerang to a degree. We get no backstory for Killer Croc. We get a backstory for Katana and some gubbins about her sword containing the souls of her victims but we never see her soul swallowing sword actually in action! Why refer to something cool and not use it? Slipknot was introduced only for him to be killed ten minutes later.

The Joker was the most hyped character, yet he's barely in it and even when he is, he serves no purpose to the actual plot of the movie (I used the term "plot" loosely, as there isn't much there). If The Joker wasn't in the movie it would make no difference (and actually might make it feel a bit less disjointed). I also severely disliked Harley with him. Their love story setup just made no sense. I much preferred Harley when she wasn't fawning over the Joker.

Speaking of Harley, I get the costume and everything, and Margot Robbie is seriously attractive, but why do they feel the need to make her bend over, stick out her butt, or her breasts or just generally over sexualise her every five minutes. I get you can't have a Harley Quinn that's all frumpy and wearing a baggy jumper and jeans, but it just smacked over overtly sexualising a character we already know is sexualised.

And then we have Enchantress, who is let loose by the worst archaeologist in the world. She just spends the movie wiggling her arms and hips around and deciding she wants to end the world for whatever reason. I dunno. Oh and she creates minions that look like mutant blackberries....?!?

I'm just so disappointed by this movie. It could have been great and it should have been great. I don't understand what happened! It gets 1/10 for the soundtrack, 1/10 for the trailer and 1/10 for the casting of Viola Davis, Will Smith & Margot Robbie.
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 27, 2016 ---
    Yeah. I mean I understand you have the die hard fanboys who'll love it no matter what. I get that. There's a great movie in here somewhere that's desperate to get out..... but it just doesn't translate to screen. It's such a shame. 6.7 is way too high a score to justify for me. It's almost like the opposite response to Ghostbusters, which had a crappy trailer and a lashing online before it was released but the finished movie was okay and didn't deserve the hatred it received. This had a fantastic trailer, an army of fanboys praising it before it was released and a critical lashing because it's just not a good movie.... :(

(But I'm sure someone will point out that I'm just a Marvel fangirl bashing DC for lols and I was always going to hate this movie, because we have to stick with our own fandoms and we couldn't possibly like "the other comic book universe"..... :rolleyes:) When DC bring out something good, I'll rave about it. They haven't done it yet. I still have high hopes for Wonder Woman though.....

Mr. Pole: Now do you remember my IMDb ratings rant when heard that they gave this move 6.7 out of 10 stars?
  13. redruM

redruM Potential

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - 10/10

Never seen this movie before, already had an issue with mental institutions and their internal politics. This just cemented the deal for me really. Nurse drunk with power thinks she has all the answers and isn't willing to consider other options. Meanwhile, the main character does more to help these people than any of the actual asylum employees. I think the Season 6 opener of House, "Broken," is heavily influenced by this film.

Also, I can finally understand all Nurse Ratched references moving forward!

Priceless and JCoatsworth like this.
  14. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Terminator (1984) 8/10
    A little dated now, but I like the concept, there's some fun lines for Arnie, and the action scenes are really impressive. Its tight piece of blockbuster concept filmmaking.

Slayerofslayers likes this.
  15. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    The first Terminator movie is one of my favourites. I think it's much better than the sequel! I just try to forget the others exist.

Mr Trick likes this.
  16. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

I agree! The second one is an interesting add-on but I think it tries to do a bit too much and is a bit of a mess at times.

Bluebird likes this.
  17. Bluebird

Black Thorn
    Lol we agree! Yeah, the first one has a real gritty feel and this deeply aggressive atmosphere to it. The sequel feels overly polished, and far too long. T1 suits the running time since in essence it is a chase sequence.

I didn't watch Genisys (that title.. :rolleyes:), but then it looked absolutely godawful. Just like the forgettable Total Recall remake (anyone remember that? I barely remembered it an hour after viewing) and the pointless Robocop remake.

Mr Trick: Scary I know! New Year, new...well we'll see how it goes lol.
    Mr Trick likes this.
  18. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

And the only reason to watch Rise of the Machines is Claire Danes I'm guessing:)

19. Bluebird

Black Thorn
    Not worth it, not even for Danes! I honestly can't remember much about her character or performance, but then it was one of those badly written Hollywood non-character dialogue machines.

20. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    I would still rather have the Hollywood non-character dialogue machine movies known as T3 and Salvation than the Hollywood non-character dialogue machine movies known as The Avengers or Age of Ultron.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.