1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Rate the last movie you've seen #20

Discussion in 'Sunnydale Cemetery' started by Athena, Aug 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Nocturnal Animals (2016) 7/10
    On the one hand one of the most beautiful, powerful, disturbing and intense films I've seen in a long time, on the other a little bit cold, plodding and lacking in emotional depth. I guess the main problem for me was that the story within a story was way more involving than the plot involving the Amy Adams character. Adams really does make the most of an unwritten role. In fact I can't really fault any of performances. At times I did wonder if it a was too explictive too. A good film that I would watch again, but maybe not the great film I was hoping for.

2. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

The Woman on the Beach (1947) 6/10
    Dull film noir, melodrama. The plot just didn't add up or engage with me. The acting was pretty solid at least.

3. Priceless

Priceless Mad Brilliant

Suicide Squad (2016) 7/10
    Far more enjoyable than the critics would have me believe. Something exciting or interesting happens in every scene. The music is fantastic. There are only two drawbacks imo - Cara Delevingne's acting wasn't very good and there was too much Harley to the detriment of other characters.

Fuffy Baith and Slayerofslayers like this.
  4. Slayerofslayers

Slayerofslayers We're going to destroy the world. Want to come?

I thought Suicide Squad was good too. It had its flaws but overall I enjoyed it. They definitely could have focused on Harley less and let some of the other characters shine more but I thought that Margot Robbie did a really good job portraying her character.

Priceless likes this.
  5. Priceless

Priceless Mad Brilliant

Yay, someone else who liked Suicide Squad, don't think there are many of us about :) Margot Robbie was very good. I think there's a Harley Quinn film in the works and I'm looking forward to seeing that. Jared Leto's Joker isn't very popular, but I thought he was very good too

Slayerofslayers likes this.
  6. OccaQuokka

OccaQuokka My arse is not pansy!

Sineya
    Suicide Squad 7/10

I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed this. It wasnt hard to follow, the characters were easy to differentiate between. I'm glad the joker did not feature too much in it. And Margot wasnt as bad as I thought she would be - although I got pretty sick of the wet t-shirt, poor woman, I'd probably break out.

Priceless and Slayerofslayers like this.
  7. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Wow! Their all coming out of the woodwork now:D

8. Slayerofslayers

Slayerofslayers We're going to destroy the world. Want to come?

Yeah don't worry you aren't alone in liking it :) I'm looking forward to that movie too for her portrayal and I really like Harley's character in general. I think I like both characters a lot because I'm intrigued by characters who have lost their sanity. I thought Jared Leto did a pretty good job as the Joker so I'm with you on that too. The two of them have an interesting relationship.

Priceless likes this.
  9. OccaQuokka

OccaQuokka My arse is not pansy!

Sineya
    Suicide Squad 7/10

I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed this. It wasnt hard to follow, the characters were easy to differentiate between. I'm glad the joker did not feature too much in it. And Margot wasnt as bad as I thought she would be - although I got pretty sick of the wet t-shirt, poor woman, I'd probably break out.

10. HowiMetdaSlayer

HowiMetdaSlayer Occasionally, I am callous and strange.

I thought Suicide Squad was ok, but wasn't overjoyed with it.

11. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

It didn't really appeal to me so didn't bother with it. But might give it a look one time based on what people on here and friend said about it.

Priceless: Honestly, it't not terrible :-)
  12. The Bronze

The Bronze Rogue Demon Hunter

Black Thorn
    Quick someone check no one from DC has a gun to their heads!

Athena and Priceless like this.
  13. Athena

Athena Tweedledum Staff Member

Black Thorn
    The Jungle Book (2016) - 9/10

No-one needs to remake, especially from cartoon to live action, but I found this remake not only completely tastefully done in keeping with Kiplings original tale and the Disney cartoon, but also imaginative and thrilling. The voice work was superb and in fact my only issue with it was they included a song for King Louie, which is great in the cartoon but not necessary here. King Louie was suitably menacing and I felt him bursting into song took away from that menace.

Otherwise, Neel Sethi, who plays Mowgli was amazing, especially when you consider his youth and the fact he is acting with green screen / stand ins, and the animation is breathtakingly beautiful.

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  14. JCoatsworth

JCoatsworth UP THE IRONS!

Black Thorn
    True Grit (2010) - 7/10
    I don't know the original, but I doubt I'd like it as much, because I can't really imagine that John Wayne would agree to play such a screw-up of a character. But the very fact that Cogburn is not a hero (at least on the surface) makes him interesting.

Alien - 9/10
    Watched it with Ridley Scott's commentary from 1999. Very interesting and insightful.

The Godfather: Part II - 9/10
    Just an amazing film. It's quite striking to witness Vito's rise to power parallel to his son's downwards spiral into self-destruction and loneliness. He kept saying family is the most important thing, and in the end he's all alone. Very dark ending. I think they could have ended the films here. I don't think Part 3 adds anything to the films.

15. JCoatsworth

Black Thorn
    Sicario - 6.5/10
    My reaction is still pretty much the same as when I saw it for the first time. It's a stunning piece of filmmaking, from a technical point of view alone, with an incredible musical score by Johann Johannsson, but it's missing the emotional core that made the director's other films (Prisoners, Arrival, Incendies) so great. Sicario feels kind of empty, and I know that's kind of what they were going for, but it simply doesn't really work for me. If I can't connect on an emotional level, I need an edge-of-my-seat plot, and Sicario couldn't quite fulfill this.

16. Priceless

Priceless Mad Brilliant

I liked the remake, but if you have the time you really should watch the original, it's a classic. Wayne won an Oscar and deserved it, it's probably his best performance, and I think you'll be surprised by his Rooster Cogburn :)

JCoatsworth likes this.
  17. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Epic (2013) 7/10
    Fan family fantasy animation, with some touching moments and good voice work.

Britannia Hospital (1982) 5/10
    Cartoonish, full of stereotypes and for the most part lacking in the radical edge of Lindsey's If.. Some odd casting too.

Room in Rome (2006) 6.5/10
    Julio Medem is one of my favourite European directors but this is one of his lesser films. The two leads are very committed, the visual style powerful and the use of music poetic, but the plot is too limited, and some set pieces are a bit over played.

18. JCoatsworth

Black Thorn
    Jurassic Park Live - 65 million/10
    This was Jurassic Park on a big screen with a symphony orchestra playing John Williams' musical score.

Huh, maybe I'll have to check it out after all. :D

Priceless and Fuffy Baith like this.
  19. Anyanka Bunny Killer

Anyanka Bunny Killer Jotunheim

Black Thorn
    Thor (2011) - 9/10

I'd avoided it because it sounded silly, but TNT happened to show it; and I LOVED it. Chris Hemsworth looked amazing, but Loki stole my heart. And hey...Frost Giants!!! :D
    Beautiful effects, cute writing, and again...Frost Giants! Especially their King. *sigh*
    Could've done without Rene Russo and Natalie Portman, but you can't have everything. Special shout outs to Stellen Skarsgaard and Anthony Hopkins...legends whom I've always admired.

Did I mention the Frost Giants? :p

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    OccaQuokka, Bluebird and Fuffy Baith like this.
  20. Anyanka Bunny Killer

Anyanka Bunny Killer Jotunheim

Black Thorn
    Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie (2016) 2/10

I ADORED the original series, so I thought I'd enjoy this...and guess what? It was awful!! Eddie and Pats had finally become what they'd always dreaded: old and completely irrelevant. It wasn't funny, it was SAD. Just cringe-worthy. Even Bubble looked pitiful. The one thing that was mildly amusing were some of the cameos. Other than that, this movie was complete rubbish. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.