1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Rate the last movie you've seen #21

Discussion in 'The Game of Life' started by Athena, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Athena

Athena Tweedledum Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Quiet on the set!

And...... ACTION!

2. JCoatsworth

JCoatsworth UP THE IRONS!

Black Thorn
    Kingdom of Heaven (Director's Cut) - 7.5/10
    I've read a lot of not-so-great things about the theatrical version, but the director's cut seemed to be highly praised, so I decided to check it out. I'm really not into anything with castles, kings and knights, but I've got to say that the film sucked me right into its world. Some of the action scenes are quite confusing because of some quick cuts, but overall the film looks quite stunning. After finishing the film, I had to watch the opening again because it looked so beautiful. The visual effects hold up remarkably well, as with pretty much all of Ridley Scott's films.
    I found the characters and their development to be really interesting and my main source of enjoyment, as a matter of fact. I suspect this is what's missing from the theatrical version. Cutting this epic down
    I also enjoyed the contrast between the snowy, cold, pale-looking France in the beginning of the film and the hot, saturated Near East.

After watching this, I would really love to see Scott's 4-hour cut of Exodus. I hope we'll get to see it some day.

3. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    Sing-7/10
    I went to see this with my nephew cause he wanted to see it again. It was a good movie, had some good laughs and a good message about not giving up on your dreams. So I really enjoyed it, even though I missed the first 15 minutes.

X-Men:Apocalypse-5/10
    I think my nephew liked this more than I did. I thought there were some cool moments, but the plot doesn't really make any sense. Quicksilver is pretty awesome though. At least he didn't fall asleep to this one like he did the new Fantastic Four. Lol.

Deepwater Horizon-8/10
    I thought this was a really good movie. It's a true life disaster movie. Pretty horrific though. The only thing was that I couldn't follow all of the oil drilling lingo, so I'm not sure exactly what went wrong, but when it did it was crazy and everything on fire!

Samuel Reyes: Agree about Deepwater Horizon. Once the disaster happened I was on the edge of my seat!
  4. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Barbary Coast (1935) 6.5/10
    Interesting early Howard Hawks drama. Its not the director at his best, the story is a little bit mundled and clitche in places. But there's some interesting ideas, strong performances, and distinct dialouge. The ending kept me guessing too.

5. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane (1976) 6.5/10
    Solidly put together and supenseful slow paced drama/thriller. Jodie Foster gives a tough performance though the character is a bit off in places, and Martin Sheen plays creepy really well. I enjoyed the ending too. Its a bit hit and miss in places, but worth a watch.

6. Priceless

Priceless The Badship Spuffy

Hunt for the Wilderpeople - Wonderful comic NZ film, so funny and warm, about misfits finding each other, can't recommend it highly enough 10/10

7. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    Rogue One - Yeah I know....everyone else saw this eons ago...... 10/10
    Much better than I expected to tell the truth. The CGI Peter Cushing was just creepy.
    Having a starring role in a movie 22 years AFTER your death just shows how little they really need actors these days....:confused:

Mr Trick: I still need to see it an am a looking forward to it.
    Athena: It was the mouth that didn't quite work for me.
    Fuffy Baith likes this.
  8. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

The Man Who Fell To Earth (1976) 9/10
    A unique, trippy, and surreal Sci-fi oddity. Of course Bowie is perfectly casted, but its worth noting that Rip Torn and Candy Clark give really committed and effective performances. Love the use of unconventional score, and how more conventional music is used in a different way, and its brilliantly shot too.

9. Samuel Reyes

Samuel Reyes Chilling in SunnyD

Life of a King (2013) - 7.5 / 10
    Missed the first 15 minutes, but once I got back to it I was hooked. Engrossing true story about an ex-convict who becomes a custodian at a school for troubled teens and inspires them to learn chess. Good lead performance by Cuba Gooding Jr.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2010) - 6.5 / 10

Likable cast, fun fight scenes and a great visual style, but the characters are underdeveloped and the video-game novelty wears off long before the movie is over, leaving it feeling rather hollow.

The Thin Man (1934) - 7.0 / 10
    Takes a while for the story to unfold but once it does it's fun, thanks in large part to the banter between husband-and-wife detective team William Powell and Myrna Loy.

10. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

You don't hear those words in the same sentence much anymore;)

Wasn't a big fan of SPVTW. It was a bit of a mess and I found the characters empty.

Will check out The Thin Man at some point.

Samuel Reyes: Haha probably true, but I enjoyed him in it.
    Athena: You need to see American Crime Story: The People vs OJ Simpson - Cuba Gooding Jr. is great in that!
  11. Priceless

Priceless The Badship Spuffy

Train To Busan (2016) - Great Korean sort-of-horror movie, with tons of heart. Wonderful performance by 10 year old Soo-an Kim, and if she doesn't make you cry, you have no heart :) 8/10

Mr Trick: Should be seeing this tomorrow so will report back.
    Fuffy Baith: I've heard good things about this
    Fuffy Baith likes this.
  12. JCoatsworth

Black Thorn
    Apocalypto (2006) - 7/10
    I love it so much that there isn't a dubbed version of this film (at least to my knowledge).
    Loved the ending of the Europeans arriving. That was completely unexpected and a very strong image.
    Also, say what you want about Mel Gibson as a person or as an actor, but the guy knows how to tell a story.

Paterson (2016) - 7/10
    Chillest film I've seen in ages. Loved it.

Mr. Pole: It's sad that if Apocalypto would have been in English then it would have been more popular. The fact people had to read prevented a lot of people from seeing it. IMHO.
    Fuffy Baith likes this.
  13. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    I had been meaning to watch Under the Skin since it came out, since it was filmed on my streets, and 3 years later I managed it. It's a strange and mesmerising experience, rather than a movie as such. I really enjoyed it, the sound design and music especially. It was very precisely constructed, and Scarlett Johannson was wonderful.
    I did have a bit of a laugh at some US critics reviewing the movie, pointing out that the thick indecipherable accents of the Scots adds to the feeling of alienation. That's what I sound like. :( Lol, well I sure didn't get that feeling from it, although hearing people talk on screen in such a naturalistic to my own speech, really added something. It felt more 'real' in a horror sense.

Athena: Great movie!
    Athena likes this.
  14. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    I didn't think the accents were that bad...I've certainly heard a lot worse :)
    When I first moved to London for work there was a lad turned up in the area looking for work who came from Greenock. I was the only one in the local pub
    who could understand a word he said (& sometimes even I struggled). This was mainly because he spoke really quickly, seemed to leave all the vowels out of
    every word, added a liberal sprinkling of the 'F-word' throughout every sentence & finished them all with 'So he did' or 'So it is'.... :rolleyes:
    Still easier to understand than Geordie though :p

Bluebird: Haha yep fast talkers with missing vowels and whole new words. That's me anaw :D
  15. The Bronze

The Bronze Rogue Demon Hunter

Black Thorn
    Passengers 6/10

Finally found me way back to the cinema after a few weeks Christmassing etc. This is a fairly average film. Decent enough performances, it looks good and there are some good fun moments. The look at how low you'll stoop given bad enough circumstances is quite interesting. It just doesn't really have enough going for it to make it stand out and be memorable to me.

The Great Gatsby 3.5/10

Talking about non memorable films I actually sat and watched this at home. Looked good, sounded good (until my girlfriend started complaining about the subwoofer again) other than that I didn't really find anything to enjoy as far as the story and the characters.

16. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Is that recent Gatsby? If so I pretty much agree. I mean the cast make it just about worth while, but its way too long and empty. And in the book I was engaged with the characters even if I didn't like them as people.

17. The Bronze

The Bronze Rogue Demon Hunter

Black Thorn
    Yes the recent one. I've not seen another version or read the book so I was going in with a fresh pair of eyes. I just didn't find myself caring enough about the characters or plot. Like you say, pretty empty.

18. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

The Blue Dahlia (1946) 8/10
    Nicely paced and slick Hollywood thriller. Some fine performances, and fun lines. The ending let it down a bit though.

Lion (2016) 8/10
    A touching and honest true life story. Unlike many awards contenders it is unshowey, and focused. Very powerful visuals, and a thrilling score. I also liked how natural, sensitive and credible the relationship between Patel's character and Mara's was. In many stories like this she would have been made a plot device and made a negative character, but that wasn't the case. The only thing I wasn't sure about was the casting of Kidman. It might have been because she was transformed so much to look like the part, but I never quite believed her role.

Samuel Reyes: I was literally planning on watching The Blue Dahlia the other day, what a coincidence!
  19. Athena

Athena Tweedledum Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Eddie The Eagle 8/10
    Really sweet, heartwarming, funny movie, based on the true story of Eddie "The Eagle" Edwards; an infamous British Olympian who came last in the ski jumping at the 1988 Calgary Winter games. Mostly made up, but the movie is touching and Taron Egerton is great as Eddie.

20. JCoatsworth

Black Thorn
    Kill Bill: Vol 1 - 9/10

Carrie Hopewell likes this.