1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Rate the last movie you've seen #21

Discussion in 'The Game of Life' started by Athena, Jan 4, 2017.

1. OccaQuokka

OccaQuokka My arse is not pansy!

Sineya
    [​IMG]

Someones done it! This was the only one suitable for a family board so far :p

2. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Food. Food now! LOL Mr. Whiskers was the bomb. I might have to watch it again soon.

OccaQuokka likes this.
  3. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Next of Kin (1984) 7/10
    Low budget indie, about a outcast feeling isolated from his demeaning parents, so he assumes the identity of a son to an Armenian family who gave the real boy up to a foster family twenty years ago. Its a powerfully directed film with a sweet poetic relationship between Peter and the daughter of the Armenian family. At times it could have been a bit more dramatic and the stereotypes bothered me a little.

4. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    I felt overwhelmed by a desire to watch Next of Kin last night. Was immediately reminded why it's quite forgettable... but because it's quite forgettable I forgot so many people that were in that movie. It did have a really good cast.
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 8, 2017 ---
    @Mr Trick I am fairly certain I know what movie I watched, thanks though. Nice of you to subtly insult my intelligence by claiming I am not cognizant to remember the title of a movie I watched less than 12 hours ago.

Mr Trick: Just guessing but you might be thinking of a different movie. Do you know people from the film then?
    OccaQuokka and Bluebird like this.
  5. Nix

Nix Queen of Coffee!!

Sineya
    Deep Water Horizon 7/10

It is a good film if you like disaster movies and ones that are based on fact. For me it made it a bit emotional knowing it happened but I think they could have done it a little bit better.

Silver Linings Playbook 9/10

For me this strikes home big time for obvious reasons (well obvious if you know me to be honest). I loved this film so much, beautifully written and researched. Funny and sad all at the same time. A romcom with a big difference.

GwenRaiden: I love Silver Linings
    Fuffy Baith and GwenRaiden like this.
  6. BandCandy

BandCandy Demon soul releaser

Black Thorn
    The Space Between Us
    I'm usually not into adventure/drama/romance so much but this movie was really great. I don't want to post spoilers but it's about a kid being the first human born on Mars and eventually travelling to Earth.
    It's funny and adorable 9/10

7. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    Pirate Radio - 10/10

Thursday is movie night at the Reigns household and this one was so good we never even broke into the bags of munchies we had picked up for the occasion. That has never happened before and I was congratulated on a great choice (it was my turn to choose this week). Philip Seymour Hoffman and a cast of worthies operate a pirate radio station from a ship in the North Sea while the government is trying to shut them down. The dozens of songs from the 1960's make this a treasure for the ear as well as the eye and since the movie was both written and directed by Richard Curtis, it has an integrity you don't get with a separate writer and director.

8. The Bronze

The Bronze Rogue Demon Hunter

Black Thorn
    Godzilla (90's) - 6/10

The plot is straight forward. The characters and dialogue aren't stand outs. But it's got a certain charm to it. There's a possibility that I just enjoy seeing a big dinosaur thing stomp on a city and hearing helicopters flying around the room.

Slayerofslayers and OccaQuokka like this.
  9. Anyanka Bunny Killer

Anyanka Bunny Killer Bad Wolf

Black Thorn
    Noah (2014) 5/10

Okay. What the HELL did I just watch? It started out rather well...I was intrigued. But apparently, someone decided to re-write a section of the Bible. Fallen angels are rock monsters? Noah came up with the idea of an ark? Two of his sons didn't have wives? And who thought that people ripping open animals would be entertaining?
    Noah is portrayed as a psychopath, who decides to murder his potential grandchildren...if they're female. And one of his sons is so angry about losing his one chance to get laid, he conspires with a mortal enemy of Noah.
    This film was disturbing and NOT enjoyable to watch.

10. CharlieGunn1

CharlieGunn1 Ready for battle...

Let the Right One In (2009) 9/10

Wow. That was a great movie. Swedish, cold, and completely unexpected. The great backdrop combined with the amazing acting of the two leads creates a truly memorable atmosphere. This a movie for true vampire lovers, as it really sticks to the lore very well. Sunlight burns vampires, they don't sparkle, and the vampirism is played as the curse that it traditionally is, not a thinly veiled upgrade. The music is excellent, and the cinematography is also on point. Make sure you get the correctly dubbed version.

Word to the wise... this is a slow burn film. Like Blade Runner, or Crouch Tiger Hidden Dragon, the story pace might be a little slow for some. But this is an excellent film to curl up with on the couch with your vampire loving significant other, or with the lights off to set the mood.

11. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    I was just talking to my partner about this. I have a soft spot for 90s Godzilla too. Everything about it is so trashy.

OccaQuokka likes this.
  12. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

Ice Age 5

9/10 A really enjoyable funny movie.

13. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Didn't even know they had got up to 5!:D

14. Athena

Athena Tweedledum Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Logan - 9/10

It's a totally different class of X-Men movie, and works incredibly well as a character-driven movie about age, infirmity, illness and death, as well as being a great swansong for Hugh Jackman in the title role. He's said he will never play Wolverine again, and to be honest after 17 years I think he deserves his retirement.

Apart from Stephen Merchant, who was just playing Stephen Merchant rather than a character, I thought it was pretty spectacular and definitely one of the best Marvel movies so far.

15. JCoatsworth

JCoatsworth UP THE IRONS!

Black Thorn
    October Sky - 8/10
    I LOVED this movie. I've got the feeling that I will be re-watching this tons of times.

16. JCoatsworth

JCoatsworth UP THE IRONS!

Black Thorn
    Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (theatrical release) - 8/10
    I bought the trilogy on blu-ray and watched Fellowship for the first time in years. And for the first time ever I actually paid attention to all the "boring" stuff, and the film makes so much more sense. Howard Shore's score is phenomenal and was actually the catalyst for my purchase. Heck, the choir at the end of The Bridge of Khazad-dûm can actually make me tear up, even without any context, and it's simply perfect in the film. Such a beatiful scene.
    Now, I have actually never seen the third film, but I think Fellowship will stay my favorite of the trilogy because of its intimacy.

Fuffy Baith and Bluebird like this.
  17. Priceless

Priceless The Badship Spuffy

Big Hero 6 (2014) - Just a lovely sweet Disney film, quite moving in places 8/10

OccaQuokka and Geobubbles like this.
  18. Taake

Taake Tweedledee Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Adam's Apples (Adams æbler) 9/10 - Danish film, I think it's labeled a black comedy. I watched it for school, again, and still love it. This is Mads Mikkelsens best role for me, he plays a positive (to the point of deranged) priest named Ivan who takes on Adam, an unreformed neo-nazi, to live in his church community for a few months (a kind of community service post prison thing). There Ivan also houses an alcoholic former pro-tennisplayer and a Saudi Arabian robber who are there to be reformed from their problems. Then Adam decides to 'break' the obnoxiously cheerful Ivan and well... I'd just recommend that you watch it I guess :)

JCoatsworth likes this.
  19. Blaze

Blaze Let it Burn

Black Thorn
    Blair Witch 5/10

No I don't usually like found footage type movies, but if there's an exception it's the original Blair Witch Project which is one of my all time favourite movie. This sequel was okay, but it lacked the subtlety that made the first movie great. It was way too fast paced and there was too many characters that it made it feel like a generic slasher. I think it gets a 5 mostly based on nostalgia.

Mr Trick likes this.
  20. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Not seen the new film, but I think I can echo your thoughts at least on the original. I loved it and it holds up to this day. A truly original and chilling horror. In fact I got myself a cool T-Shirt of the film which is basically a Missing Poster with the three characters on for a bargin 3.99 at the Virgin Magastore in Peterborough back in 1999/2000 and to wear it proudly to this day:)

GwenRaiden: ok, like, tmi
    Blaze: The original was just so great! I love everything about it, especially the way they built the movie where it felt like a true documentary and the horror aspect was very subtle, unlike all the recent found footage movie