1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Rate the last movie you've seen #21

Discussion in 'The Game of Life' started by Athena, Jan 4, 2017.

1. JCoatsworth

JCoatsworth UP THE IRONS!

Black Thorn
    Do you know De grønne slagtere (The Green Butchers)? Love that film. Starring Mads Mikkelsen as well.

2. HowiMetdaSlayer

HowiMetdaSlayer Occasionally, I am callous and strange.

Logan was pretty good. Not quite as good as the reviews, though.

3. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    Jason Bourne-5/10
    This wasn't a bad movie, but it wasn't as good as we all wanted it to be, with Matt Damon coming back. It suggests there'll be another movie. It was better than the Jeremy Renner movie, but not up to par with the first trilogy. I did like Alicia Vikander, and it's the second movie I've seen her in after Ex Machina. Overall, I think the story was just a let down.

Yea, I saw the Lotr movies when they came out, I think I had Fellowship on VHS. lol. But didn't really remember much about the story. I caught Fellowship on TV like a year ago, and paid better attention. I was really into it. I've not rewatched the 2nd and 3rd movies though.

HowiMetdaSlayer: no women are safe in the Bourne series :/
    JCoatsworth likes this.
  4. JCoatsworth

Black Thorn
    Prisoners - 9/10
    I love this movie. Villeneuve ist the man. Only one more week until Arrival is released on blu-ray and 7 months until Blade Runner 2049 hits theaters.

I still have Fellowship on VHS :p good old times. Must have bought it around the same time as Jurassic Park 3. These two seem to be the last movies I bought on VHS.

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  5. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    Holy shit. Is it that soon? It just seems like it was only announced the other day. Only 7 months, wow.

6. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

He does seem to be one of the hottest directors around at the moment. When I first heard they were doing a new Blade Runner film I was dreading it of course!:eek: But when I heard he was directing it then I was on board:) And Ryan Gosling is perfect casting for it too. He is at his best when playing that kind of role.

JCoatsworth and Fuffy Baith like this.
  7. JCoatsworth

Black Thorn
    Yeah, Villeneuve is working incredibly fast. He's made 6 movies in the last 7 years. And apparently he's starting to work on the script for Dune within the next couple of weeks. The Blade Runner 2049 post-production seems also pretty short for a film of that scale. Maybe because Villeneuve is hellbent on using real sets whenever possible, which means they don't need to add as much CGI later. I love it.

Totally agree. When they announced a new Blade Runner I was sure it was gonna be another Prometheus or Kingdom of the Crystal Skull kind of mess. But then they got Villeneuve and I have complete confidence in him. I've enjoyed every single one of his films (except for his two earliest films that I can't get ahold of).
    If you like his films, you should definitely check out Incendies, if you haven't already.
    And absolutely agree about Gosling. He's great in La La Land and hilarious in The Nice Guys, but I still think he works best in something like Drive.

8. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    Depending on how Blade Runner goes I may or may not be excited. I was not overly thrilled with Arrival. But I would love to see a real version of Dune vs the movie we currently have.

9. JCoatsworth

Black Thorn
    Well, I love Arrival and I've never seen the David Lynch Dune. Villeneuve said in an interview that he read the book when he was 13 or something, and that it has stayed with him ever since and that he's always dreamt of realizing his vision of the story. So it can turn out either way. It can be a great film, but if you don't like his version, then that's the way it is, I suppose.

10. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Dune is a harder project to film I'm guessing. From that point of view its a harder project than Blade Runner, but because of the low bar set by the Lynch version then I'm guessing Villeneuve's version will be better by default (though I still say Lynch's Dune isn't as bad as people make out).

11. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    I just think Dune is too dense for one movie, if they are really wanting to be 'true' to the story. There is just so much history and backstory involved. Have you read Dune?

12. Second-hand Slayer

Second-hand Slayer Lights on or off? Kinks or vanilla?

Sineya
    Don't know if I should rate my last movie... It was White Chicks. I mean come on what's not to love?! Okay maybe I'm being a little biased but Latrell - "How did you know? I love this song!"

Mr Trick: We won't hold it against, well at least not for too long! haha
  13. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    There's nothing wrong with liking White Chicks; at least it wasn't as bad as like... Twilight or something.

14. Second-hand Slayer

Second-hand Slayer Lights on or off? Kinks or vanilla?

Sineya
    Errr then maybe you shouldn't read my reply to vellavu's recent post. Or was your reply based on because you've already seen it? Haha! :D

Mr. Pole: I saw it of course
  15. JCoatsworth

Black Thorn
    Nope, I haven't. I plan on reading it soon, though. A friend of mine is currently reading it.
    I keep reading on the interet that the most popular form of adaptation among fans is a TV-mini-series. Or maybe a trilogy of films.

16. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    Ah. Ok. To me it's basically on par with the Lord of the Rings series- how they collected the (three or four, been so long) books into one novel. Dune, to me, is similar in scope to that (plus there is a whole series that follows).
    I would say at least half of the dialogue is inner dialogue and never actually spoken. It's also very political a'la Game of Thrones as well. I just think whomever the director is, trying to put it all in one movie would be a herculean effort. But you should deffo read it! Certainly before seeing either of the movies. Also, if you really get into it, you should check out Jodorowsky's Dune, I think you would like that.
    EDIT: Here is the trailer for that

Mr Trick: I still need to see that. Have heard good things.
    JCoatsworth: Will do! Thanks!
    JCoatsworth and Mr Trick like this.
  17. Athena

Athena Tweedledum Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Beauty and the Beast - 7.5/10

A faithful adaptation, in that it's pretty much a scene-by-scene re-telling. Which is fine because I adore the original, however they've tweaked it here and there; they've added some pretty pointless new songs (the classics are better) and I remain unconvinced at CGI Cogsworth, Lumiere and co.... but Emma Watson carries the movie and she does it well. She's ok singing wise too, but nothing will match the total joy the original brought in spades. Be Our Guest was pretty fun though. (Not as good as the original Be Our Guest, obviously)

Dan Stevens is completely dreamy though (mainly as the beast, he's super ugly in human form..... :p)

Fuffy Baith: This is basically what I'm using from other people. I'm still excited,
    Fuffy Baith likes this.
  18. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    Fuffy Baith: This is basically what I'm using from other people. I'm still excited,
    I meant 'this is what I've been hearing"
    Similar thoughts about the cgi characters and the songs.

19. Taake

Taake Tweedledee Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Ugh, sometimes I wonder why I do these things to myself... because I like true crime I tried to watch "Newtown" about the Sandy Hook killings... I really hadn't read much about it but knew the general gist, but god, I didn't last more than maybe 15 minutes of this documentary. It was just so heartbreaking, all I kept thinking was 'they were just kids! Just kids!' I've no idea how those people managed to move on, just so terrible. Unless you want to be emotionally wrecked I can only recommend that you stay away from this one. Though maybe it gets better, as mentioned I just couldn't make it through it.

Carrie Hopewell: I can't get over how cute Buffy looks in your avatar/banner. She looks so adorable! And yeah, I'm pretty sensitive to children in pain too. Makes me cry like crazy.
  20. Athena

Athena Tweedledum Staff Member

Black Thorn
    You just reminded me that yesterday I watched a 9/11 documentary called The Falling Man, about the people trapped in the Twin Towers who couldn't get out. They were being consumed by fire and smoke, had no means of escape, and they were photographed/filmed jumping out of the windows to their deaths. The photographs were published originally, but were considered too upsetting and withdrawn from public record. It was just horrendous, I couldn't watch more than 30 minutes of it. I think your one is absolutely worse (because, children!), but seeing all that again was so harrowing. I never ever want anyone I love to be in that position.

Taake: Oh god, I don't think I could watch that either!