1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Rate the Last TV Show You've Seen 3

Discussion in 'The Game of Life' started by Mr Trick, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Pop, Pride and Prejudice (2017) 7/10

BBC Glastonbury 2017

No rating but as always the BEEB did a great a job, and this year's festival had a special feel to it because of what a tough year its been for the country. Such an event really showed the spirit of this country and its culture at its best. Its a cool way to discover new acts too. Like Saturday I discoverd The Amazons and Sigrid (both totally different from each other but both fantastic!).

2. JCoatsworth

JCoatsworth UP THE IRONS!

Black Thorn
    Watched the first episode of the second season of American Horror Story. It was okay. Not particularly scary. I think it was edited too quickly. The dialog was also very fast, but I guess they needed to fit it in one TV episode.

6.5/10

3. Living Dead Boy

Living Dead Boy Joss is Boss

Black Thorn
    Underground: 9/10

So, there's this show on Hulu called Underground, about a group of slaves who plan an escape from their Georgia plantation, set back in the colonial period, and it is totally awesome. I didn't expect to really like the show the way I do. It's totally modern as well, with harrowing action pieces set to modern pop and hip hop music. It was jarring at first, but then you realize the modern soundtrack gives you historical context, so it all works out. Don't expect Roots, ladies and gentlemen, this is more of an action thriller than a historical period piece. The main actors give tremendous performances, and as a bonus, (or not, depending on how much you liked Riley) Marc Blucas even stars in the show as an abolitionist, who alongside his wife, tries to help the slaves reach freedom. You even get cameos from a badass gun toting Harriet Tubman. I recommend Underground to anyone who wants to be entertained as well as informed about America's greatest sin.

OccaQuokka likes this.
  4. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Cheers Season 1 (1982) 7/10
    A perfectly solid first season. Some great storytelling, character interactions and one off jokes. The build up to the Sam-Diane relationship is some of the best storytelling you're likey to see.

Mr. Robot Season 2 (2016) 6/10
    This second series had its moments, but just lacked the depth of the first season and struggled to advance the characters. The storytelling just wasn't as good, and I struggled to really care about the people on screen.

5. Priceless

Priceless She doesn't just fight evil, she redeems it

Better Call Saul S3 - Amazing season with fantastic characters, couldn't love it more. So happy when Jimmy made it right with the old ladies, and I cannot wait to see what happens next! 10/10

6. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Spaced Series 1 (1999) 8/10
    One of the coolest and most surreal and exciting sitcoms ever, but its is charming in places too. Love the cast and characters. Just very different but in a good way:)

7. nightshade

nightshade Watcher Staff Member

Black Thorn
    The Keepers - started it yesterday and finished it today. I did think that it would be more focused on the murders, but still incredibly interesting. I'm kinda hoping they do a follow up, when things progress so maybe in a few years.

Priceless likes this.
  8. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Happy Valley series 1 (2014) 9/10
    Certainly very gritty and grim, but great writing and actoring with complex characters.

Priceless likes this.
  9. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Broken (2017) 8/10
    An honest and complex look at religion, its pros and cons. Sean Bean gives one of his most natural and touching performances. Its nicely paced with some thought provoking comments on modern society. One of the best dramas of the year for me.

10. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    Timeless 7/10 (up from 6/10 & still rising!)
    Just started watching 'Timeless'.
    It was just sitting on the box gathering virtual dust but we ran out of other things to watch so gave it a try as a friend had said it was worth a look. Wasn't sure after the first episode but kept watching....now we are on episode 4 & it's really starting to grow on me.....

11. Geobubbles

Geobubbles Can I play with the puppy?

Black Thorn
    Give it a bit more time, in my opinion it is just as good, if not better in some aspects as the first season. Only thing is after season 2 AHS goes really downhill.. Season 3 was eh at best, 4 was a bit better but still not as good as the first 2. Have high hopes for 5 and 6 though :)

12. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    Community S1
    The first 2 seasons are the best of the show in my opinion, before the behind the scenes drams tainted it a bit. I adore Community and its kinda honest and blunt way of portraying life and its disappointments, all the while wrapped up in a light comedy cosy blanket. I give it an 11.

Mr Trick, Mylie and Priceless like this.
  13. Blaze

Blaze Let it Burn

Black Thorn
    Hotel Beau Sejour 8.5/10

Really good murder mystery with a bit of supernatural mixed in. Definitely recommended, I'm not usually a fan of mysteries because so often they are either predictable, or the "plot twist" doesn't even make sense (you can't just pick the most random person to be the murderer with no hints at all, that's just bad writing but some writers seem to think that's the way to write mysteries).

This show was well crafted, the acting was really good, and the cinematography was also quite nice. A must watch!

14. HowiMetdaSlayer

HowiMetdaSlayer Occasionally, I am callous and strange.

Been re-watching Enterprise. Better than I remembered (watched as a kid), but still kind of disappointing. Had a great premise and a (mostly) good cast, but never really delivered. :(

15. Living Dead Boy

Living Dead Boy Joss is Boss

Black Thorn
    IZombie: 9/10

Even though it had all the hallmarks of being a series I'd immediately jump on (Intelligent female lead, supernatural themes, made by the same guy that created Veronica Mars), it took me a while to get into. But once I did, holy moly. By the end of the first season, I had to pinch myself that I didn't watch this sooner. Great great show, a cult show in the making, and it's tailor made towards the Buffy squad with it's smart and witty lead character (who's also a zombie, so she kicks ass when she needs too. :cool:)

P.S it's theme song will stay on your brain for a while.

ItMustBeBunnies: 'Ello! *waves* Miss you too! :)
    Bloody William and Priceless like this.
  16. JCoatsworth

JCoatsworth UP THE IRONS!

Black Thorn
    Well, I haven't watched Season 1 haha. My friend bought the first 3 seasons and we read that season 2 is considered the best one, so we watched that because we figured, since it's an anthology series, it wouldn't make a difference, right? Might keep watching. It wasn't bad, but not great either.

17. Blaze

Blaze Let it Burn

Black Thorn
    Degrassi First Class s4 - 9.5/10

I really really love this show.

18. Bloody William

Bloody William Potential

I've just finished season one, and I would give it a 9/10 too. Definitely in my top five favourite shows.

Living Dead Boy: I'm gonna watch season 2 soon. We should totally share our reactions. I heard season 2 was way better.
    Living Dead Boy likes this.
  19. ItMustBeBunnies

ItMustBeBunnies Bugger off, you brolly!

Sineya
    The Handmaid's Tale 8/10- Really enjoyed this even though it made me so very angry and frustrated.

I love Samira Wiley so much, she is just gorgeous. I loved the friendship between her and Elisabeth Moss. It was really beautiful to watch.

Living Dead Boy: Hey you beautiful person. Miss you!
    Living Dead Boy likes this.
  20. Geobubbles

Geobubbles Can I play with the puppy?

Black Thorn
    Ahh I see, yeah it doesn't make a difference what order you watch them in. But they do take a bit of time to get into them, Id suggest at least watch a couple more to see if its your kind of show. With the first one I was hesitant until about episode 5 and then everything started happening and I became hooked haha.
    I like the fact that the reuse the same actors for each of the seasons :)