1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Rewatching Season 1

Discussion in 'Season 1' started by white avenger, Feb 2, 2015.

1. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

Just because I haven't done it in quite awhile, I am rewatching the entire "Angel" series, and I have discovered that, this time around, after not having seen the show straight through in several years, I still don't like Doyle, and see no reason whatsoever that Angel and Cordy should keep dragging out that old video tape.

Also, I still feel that both Angel and Cordelia were better, stronger characters once they stepped out of Buffy's shadow than they ever were in Sunnydale, and "Rogue Demon Hunter" Wesley hasn't quite gone from little lost puppy to full grown Pit Bulldog yet, but he's well on the way. It's a real pity that he lost the Harley somewhere along the way.

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  2. Smile Time

Smile Time The Scattered One

Sineya
    I also felt like they got more character development on Angel than they got on Buffy, which might explain why I like them better on Angel.

3. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Agree with you on Doyle. But since I have not rearched the point where he leaves the show on my rewatch, and have just seen his best episode then I will give him one last chance.

I agree about Angel, maybe Cordy. She gets a stronger role and more character deveolpment in Angel than on Buffy, but then if you see how she starts off in Buffy and how far she has come by the end of S3 then that is quite impressive too. Plus not everyone likes the darker side of Cordy. I guess maybe they find it a bit forced and don't believe that it is the same character. Not saying I agree, but its something to consider.

4. NightLady

NightLady Potential

I don't care much about Doyle, either.
    And I agree about Angel as well. His role on BTVS was simply to be her (doomed) love interest. When he wasn't the villain of the situation, of course. Also almost all the plots that involve him are inconsistent and full of contradictions. On ATS his character gains at least some dimension.
    Agreed on Wesley as well but not about Cordelia. She was a very interesting character on Buffy and her growth started there. Actually I think that ATS (later seasons) ruined her a bit....

5. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

You have to think too that the two shows kinda covers the whole Universe. And its possible that the writers had some of these later character details in mind from the start.

6. NightLady

NightLady Potential

It's surely possible, and it would be so interesting to know how it worked, how much was meant from the beginning, what was changed during the time and what was just improvised :)

7. The Bronze

The Bronze Rogue Demon Hunter

Black Thorn
    I'm surprised people are so down on Doyle. He didn't get very much time but I think he was great in the time he did have. I was really sad watching Hero again recently. I think the bond between the three characters seemed really strong and genuine so it doesn't surprise me at all when I see them playing the old tape.

GraceK likes this.
  8. NightLady

NightLady Potential

I don't dislike him at all, it's just that he never grew on me. I don't know, maybe he was too... normal :D

9. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    Yeah, I think I like Doyle in S1 of Angel more than I do S1 Wesley- just through sheer chemistry with Angel and Cordelia. and that he only had 9 episodes to get established.
    It's stunning to think how effective 'Hero' is that regard, making you care about a character that hasn't been focussed on that much, but then again Doyle inpacted Cordelia and Angel in an incredible way just by being the force that brought them both together.

10. The Bronze

The Bronze Rogue Demon Hunter

Black Thorn
    He does seem to have a really divisive nature. My partner loved Buffy after I introduced her to the series. But she's never been able to get into Angel and she hated Doyle as soon he showed up.

Smile Time: Good that you managed to get your partner into Buffy, converting people to Buffy fans never hurt anyone :)
  11. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

See I don't see that with Doyle and Cordy. They just don't work as a partneship imo. Doyle/Angel a bit more. But I just find him a bland character and his attempts at flirting with Cordy and his humor a bit lame.

NightLady likes this.
  12. Spanish Flame

Spanish Flame It's Not Easy Being Green

I'm watching Angel S1 again and I'm enjying it a lot more than 1st time. God knows that I didnt give a damn to this show when I first sat to watch - my husband convinced me to do.
    Doyle is a nice character, cute one. He didnt have the time to develop as others. See Wesley instead, you know how he starts there and how it ends.... Doyle didnt have the chance... who knows where he could have gone or done.

I've just about to watch episode 8.... you know, that one. This is the moment when I thought first time I saw it that the show was going somwhere....

Still lots to go now... but loving the 2nd ride and loving Ghost Dennis lot more !!:p:D

Mr Trick likes this.
  13. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Its still my least favourite season. But when its good, its VERY good!

Good to see another Dennis fan! That was a nice touch. Why have a human roomie when you can have a cool Ghost instead!;)

Spanish Flame likes this.
  14. Spanish Flame

Spanish Flame It's Not Easy Being Green

Yeah, Season 1 is my least favourite as well... but that epsiode of poltergeist with the mother and all that I just love it!! :p

And more, Dennis takes care of Cordy like no other could do !! He is a real gentleman ;):D

15. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Yeah that's one of the best episode of the season IMO.

Its just a shame they didn't use Dennis more like in later seasons. Its the one thing about darker Cordy that actually worked.

Spanish Flame likes this.
  16. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

The weird thing with season 1 is... It is a weak season with no seasonal arc with a lot of «angel saves the damsel in distress» episodes but it also has some of my favorite episodes in the series? Like the few good episodes coming from that season are extremely good. And it starts with a good pilot and ends with a very good season finale and one that makes you intrigued about the next season and you can tell they finally know where they're going with the show. So when I look at the season as a whole, I feel sort of satisfied, which isn't the case for all seasons.

Mr Trick and Guy like this.
  17. Foxy

Foxy I am cookie dough!

Sineya
    I think the Angel pilot was much stronger than Buffy's pilot. I enjoyed season one, but it tends to be a bit boring if you binge it. At the end of the season (with that amazing finale) I felt really compelled to keep on watching...but I'm on season 4 now and wow nope! Gotta pull through because I'm looking forward to S5 as I've been told it's good! And of course the Angel After the Fall comics from IDW :)

18. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

I think its pretty close. Welcome to the Hell Mouth has to do more heavy lifting than City of... I think both do a very solid job of setting up each show. A lot of the stand alone episodes in Angel season 1 are duds. I think from the Faith two-parter onwards it starts to hit its stride.

I like season five, but seasons 2 and 3 are still my favourite. Let me know you think of the comics when you get there. I've recently started:)

Mylie likes this.
  19. Foxy

Foxy I am cookie dough!

Sineya
    Don't forget I will remember you! That episode was amazing.

Halfway through season 4 now. Faith and Willow are off to Sunnydale again and that's where I stopped for the evening. I will watch some more episodes tonight while I'm colouring. I'm really looking forward to 5 and I have been told by some birdies that the finale is incredibly epic! The fight scenes in season 4 have definitely been upped. Much stronger than season 1 or 2. Except the Faith bits then.

Looking forward to the comics ;)

20. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Can take or leave IRY. Think it drags Bangel out when it wasn't needed. Its decent, but not a favoruite episode of mine.