1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Rewatching Season 1

Discussion in 'Season 1' started by white avenger, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Mylie

Mylie Potential

I disagree. Probably not for Buffy, but on Angel's part, it was much needed. The episode reinforced his mission in that he was presented with a choice : living a happy and easy life as a human or choosing the road to redemption. I know this could have been done without involving Buffy, but it's really the most effective way to do it at that point in the series. She's the one thing Angel wanted the most and he still Ā«pickedĀ» redemption over her. It also served to establish the series in that it obligated the fans to face the fact that the relationship was really over and that Angel's mission (just like Buffy's) should and would be more important than their relationship.

Angel became a human and nothing was standing in the way for them to finally be together (and happy) and it still wasn't meant to be. By exploring Bangel with human Angel, they're really making it clear that they will always be star-crossed lovers. They will never be able to make it work.

2. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

I just think they did a perfect job of trying up Bangel at the end of Buffy season 3. Of course there will always been something linking them. I don't mind them to having cross over episodes still. But IWRY was a step too far for me.

3. Foxy

Foxy Potential

Sineya
    I don't know...it felt so bittersweet and a proper goodbye. I feel like a lot of fans needed this!

4. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

I can see that. But then I like the idea that such a complex relationship doesn't have a clean cut televisional ending. Its not like it was the end of Bangel, but a different chapter in a way.

5. Spanish Flame

Spanish Flame It's Not Easy Being Green

I can get your point. But I still love it, it is intense and big drama in there, Sorry I do love drama and love that the show clear up that Buffy and Angel should move forward as their destiny's too big they cant be together not even they really want it to.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 23, 2017 ---
    I disagree on this. I think both season 1 are weak. However I find Buffy to be better resolved than Angel's. The first time I saw Angel I was like "what the hell is this??". But as the episodes go they season gets better and its own storyline and solid cast.

6. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

There are good things in IWRY. The performances for one. I just find it a bit gimmicky and needless. Its a solid episode but doesn't deserve to be ranked as one of the best for me.

Like I said I think Buffy's has more work to do. It has to set up a taste of what the show is going to be without giving too much away. Think it got that balance just about right. I do like City of... As a standalone it is pretty strong and again sets the tone for the first season quite well. Neither are outstanding but compared to many season openers I think they are two of the better ones.

Spanish Flame likes this.
  7. Spanish Flame

Spanish Flame It's Not Easy Being Green

Well, watching City of... for the second time I apprecciated it more this time than the first one, both times I was indulged in auto-suggestion first for thinking it was not worth watching, second time because I already love it...:D:D

Same happened with Buffy, but I have to confess that the first episode I only really like it (despite being quite good for me) because Eric Balfour is on it :D:D

None of the above are objective. Ask me in 5 years time if I still think the same way LOL !!

8. GraceK

GraceK Potential

I am very surprised at the Doyle disinterest. Maybe it's because I watched the series in real time, but I loved Doyle. Hero made me cry and still makes me cry. I could feel the connection between them grow, and I love the idea of CordyDoyle. Honestly I think the fact that they chose Wesley to take over saved the show. No one else would have been a good enough replacement. Wesley added so much and I can't imagine the show without him, but Doyle to me is still missed. I can see why they keep taking out the videotape. He was their friend, and they loved him.

Geobubbles and Carrie Hopewell like this.