1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Riley Finn, The Initative, Adam - What went wrong?

Discussion in 'Season 4' started by Joshua, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Joshua

Joshua Huge Spuffy Fan!

These three had such an amazing concept, but what went wrong? why wasn't it executed properly? Why were Adam and Riley such boring characters?

2. Athene

Athene Scooby

Well, Adam was just a killing machine. I felt no connection to him at all so I couldn't care less when he died. It's not that Adam had to be sympathetic but he wasn't even the sort of evil that's entertaining to watch either. In comparison, Angelus was great because he's sadistically evil and fun, The mayor was the big bad that I could root for, and the master was just plain menacing. Adam wasn't particularly scary apart from his physical ability to kill easily.
    I actually think that the initiative was very interesting but the writers bet the appeal of the initiative's story on the audience getting invested in Riley which didn't happen for most fans.
    Then when Adam and Riley just weren't becoming fan favourites it feels like the writers gave up on season 4 and ended things quickly. The finale of season 4 was basically an advertisement for season 5 so I think that says it all :oops:

Fool for Buffy likes this.
  3. Priceless

Priceless She doesn't just fight evil, she redeems it

I don't think either Adam or The Initiative were interesting concepts. I would have much preferred to see Maggie Walsh, the mad scientist, as the big bad. The character of Riley was written as the embodiment of the initiative, conservative, traditional and conventional, which does not make intersting television. He only becomes interesting when that persona slips and we see a change in his perspective and behaviour.

Fool for Buffy likes this.
  4. Riderofapocalypse

Riderofapocalypse Potential

Other than my friend's, 'Why is Adam a transformer?'

I'd say because he should be easily beatable. Any blade or bullet should be able to kill them both. Like, if Giles busted out his chainsaw from earlier in the season...the Watcher would lose because??
    Adam doesn't posses super speed or ridiculous reflexes to avoid arrows or blades (that i remember), if you don't want to lean towards any type of firearm. And unless i'm mistaken or forgetting something, shouldn't magic work on Adam? Like a binding spell or something with electricity to mess his internal system up?

That, and what was the point of him? What was his grand plan? It's not like he was an Angelus, who just wants to see the world burn around him. Or the Master, whom wants to be free to rule. Also, we did just come off Mayor Wilkin's from the previous season. Adam can't hold a candle to the mayor in regards to entertainment value.

I think the initiative was a concept that could work. But for some reason the focus was put on the Frankenstein monster instead of the government which created him.

5. Athena

Athena Tweedledum Staff Member

Black Thorn
    I don't think it helped that Lindsay Crouse had to leave the show, but yeah, I totally agree with this statement. The monster was by the by, the agency that created him should have been the big bid - Buffy vs the humans in charge, but without Maggie Walsh they seemed to change focus to Adam, who was as pointless as he was pointless.

The concept of Adam (bits from demons in one) was ok, but as an entity he should have been easily beatable. He had nothing special about him to make him a worthy opponent. I mean I'm pretty sure my niece could beat him in a fight, and she probably wouldn't be scared of him either.

Adam was like a typical MCU villain. He wants to destroy the world, but why? Whats his reason, his purpose, his meaning? He has none. He has no right to anything. He's just a puppet, and normally I'd love a puppet, but this one was just.... meh.

As for Riley, I get they wanted to give Buffy a sweet, normal human boyfriend, and on paper that works fine, but on screen Marc Blucas is run rings around by the performances of the rest of the cast. James Marsters has more charisma in his little finger than Blucas in his whole body, but to be honest I can't blame Marc solely. I think the writers just didn't know what to do with him, so they wrote him as bland as can be, partially to elevate Spike. It works.

DeadlyDuo likes this.