1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question Season 1: Your views, before and now

Discussion in 'Season 1' started by matt124, Apr 2, 2017.

?

Season 1 : Your views, before and now

1. Still love it

2. Still like it

3. Still dislike it

4. Still hate it

5. Loved it, now like it

6. Loved it, now dislike it

7. Loved it, now hate it

8. Liked it, now love it

9. Liked it, now dislike it

10. Liked it, now hate it

11. Disliked it, now love it

12. Disliked it, now like it

13. Disliked it, now hate it

14. Hated it, now love it

15. Hated it, now like it

16. Hated it, now dislike it

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. matt124

matt124 Potential

How did you feel about Angel Season 1 when you first watched it and what is your view to it now today? Has your opinion changed over the years.

2. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    Still love it. Angel S1 is the best season of Angel and better than any season of Buffy.

3. matt124

matt124 Potential

Still love it. Angel S1 is my favorite season of Angel. OMG, so many good episodes. I love this season more than Buffy season 1 and even another season of Buffy. It just has so many great episodes.

Why I think it works, the core group is only 3 people. So I truly felt we got so much screentime and development from everyone. It wasn't overcrowded. I just loved the entire season and direction.

Watching Cordelia grow, watching Wesley slowly get closer to Angel and Cordelia.

When I did my big marathon of the show's in 2013, season 1 just held up so highly. I truly find it is so underrated, and everyone always praises Buffy seasons or Angel season 5.

GraceK and Carrie Hopewell like this.
  4. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    I think people often forget just how much happens in S1. There is a lot of plot development and progressing storylines on both Angel as well as Buffy but it doesn't seem shoehorned in the way it often felt on Buffy. I wont say more on my opinion of David Greenwalt as I spoke on it often enough.

GraceK and matt124 like this.
  5. GwenRaiden

GwenRaiden AKA Apology Girl

Black Thorn
    Still love it. Love it so much.

Carrie Hopewell likes this.
  6. matt124

matt124 Potential

I couldn't agree more.

I always find it is so underrated. Like I said, I feel the fact that we only had 3 regulars is why it allowed the show to properly focus on them, unlike Buffy which always was overcrowded every season with 6-8. Like you said we had plot development.

7. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    I don't think being overcrowded was the problem. Look what Greenwalt did with Grimm and that had a massive cast of characters but they all meshed and never felt crowded.

8. matt124

matt124 Potential

Yeah and I loved and watched Grimm and actually really liked what he did. So glad how it ended, very different to feel that the entire core characters got a good ending.

But again, I think I liked Angel more for not having so many regulars in the beginning and slowly adding more as it went along. Or maybe Buffy just wasn't that great especially when it got to the later seasons. But again other circumstances played a part.

9. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    Season 1 of Angel was a new take on the Buffyverse with some new characters and a decidedly adult flavour whereas Buffy at this point was in university and still had a teen soap opera feel to it. Quite often, the watercooler verdict was that the week's Angel episode was better than the corresponding Buffy episode.

matt124 likes this.
  10. matt124

matt124 Potential

Yeah that's so true. I think it comes down to Buffy loosing Angel and Cordelia. So it took a while for Buffy to find itself. I do feel many shows that get spin-offs, the parent show sorta looses focus, or the writers put so much energy into the new show. They forgot about the parent show.

I do feel Angel season 1 was stronger than Buffy 4.

11. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    Angel S1 was one of the first things I bought on VHS- mainly because when it was shown of TV is was cut all to hell- and I loved it.
    It's a very strong first season and manages to greatly flesh out Angel and build an alternate world around the happenings of Los Angeles. Also Cordelia and Wesley get to be seen in a new light.

It has a couple of ropey episodes but also some of the best the show ever produced.
    We had the return of Faith, the introduction of Gunn, W&H with Lindsey and Lilah, a couple of nice Buffy crossovers (I tend to think these ones are the besdt ones until Season 4's Orpheus) and Angel's goofy dancing.

Carrie Hopewell and matt124 like this.
  12. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    Plus the first time you really saw a bad guy as a vampire, versus a vampire bad guy, in Russell Winters. He was a bad guy who happened to be a vampire.

Carrie Hopewell and matt124 like this.
  13. matt124

matt124 Potential

I loved Russell Winters and wished he stayed on. Funny on True Blood they had a vampire named Russell and I honestly thought they looked alike lol

But I really liked Russell and wished he stuck around. But I still adore the moment Angel pushed him out a window, and love that moment.

GraceK and Carrie Hopewell like this.
  14. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    I think he was a nice depiction of a corporate shark-type, certainly not something we'd seen before. If you think about it, the idea of a rich vampire who's some kind of successful business man is incredibly rare; we never saw that again.

The only previous one I can think of is Zachery Kralick, he was a psychopath who happened to be a vampire.

15. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    Yeah, I guess. I just meant that if Winters wasn't a vampire he would still be a bad guy, I just got the feeling like Kralick was bad because he was a vampire, never really got the feeling he was any kind of threat to society if he wasn't one. But I do think that was the moral differences between the shows also.

thetopher likes this.
  16. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    Oh man, I have so much love for for this season - I have more love for s1 than for any other Buffyverse season. Only Buffy season 2 and Angel season 2 compete with Angel season 1 for me. I mean, Angel season 1 is better than the best Buffy season (2), but I love Bangel so I'd say it's a tie.

Angel season 1 is the most enjoyable season and as a whole is the best season. In terms of storytelling, season 4 is better, and in terms of plot and character development, the Darla arc is the best thing the show ever did however, season 1 doesn't have any bad or weak parts (like the Pylea arc or Jasdelia) and there's so much awesomeness in every episode.

I do agree with @matt124 that the existence of only three main characters works in favor of this season. Each episode contains excellent moments for all the characters and the small cast feels like a family. The home-base for Angel's Investigations' small and cozy, adding to the feeling of familiarity and comfort I have whenever I watch it.

Angel is the best part of season 1. Episodes based on him like City of, Somnambulist, The Prodigal, The Ring, Blind Date and To Shanshu in L.A. are excellent and expand on his character more than seasons 1-3 of Buffy and 3-5 of Angel do. The Faith episodes are essencial to the mission of the show and of our characters (Sanctuary is probably on my top 5 Buffyverse episodes). Standalone episodes like In the Dark and I Will Remember You are also brilliant, and the rest of them are mostly above average.
    Season 1 has great style too and makes good use of recurring characters like Kate, Lindsey and Lilah.

thetopher and matt124 like this.
  17. Antho

Antho Potential

Too bad I can't vote because I'am watching the season and I'm only on the 8 episode, I must do my review... But from what I saw, I like it !

matt124 likes this.
  18. matt124

matt124 Potential

Yeah so much love for this season. You are the same with me in regards to the Pylea arc, I always found it like it wasn't season final arc worthy, felt more a general season story. As if the writers didn't plan it, because they couldn't get the actresses playing Darla and Drusilla back, so the story had to be put on hold.

I agree with everything else you said and so many standout episodes. Most of the standalones here I really love.

I have a soft spot for the old Angel Investigations office, I like it. I understand they got rid of it due to filming issues and space. But the Hotel was great too, and I didn't hate it. But something about the first office just has a more cozy feeling, like you said.

Like it is one season, I could watch it through and not hate the whole season when I get to the end.

19. GraceK

GraceK Grr Arrg

Kralick was a psychopathic serial killer before he was a vampire :)
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 2, 2017 ---
    Yup. From wiki::

Kralik was a serial killer who tortured and murdered more than a dozen young women before being arrested and put in a asylum for the criminally insane, where he was sired by another vampire. At some point, Kralik killed and ate his own mother, who had abused him emotionally and perhaps sexually. Kralik hinted that she had castrated him as well. This left him with "a problem with mothers", of which he was aware.

thetopher: True. He killed his Mum.
    Mr. Pole: Was he? I didn't remember that.
  20. Smile Time

Smile Time The Scattered One

Sineya
    Liked it then, loved and appreciated it more this time around.