1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question Season 1: Your views, before and now

Discussion in 'Season 1' started by matt124, Apr 2, 2017.

?

Season 1 : Your views, before and now

1. Still love it

2. Still like it

3. Still dislike it

4. Still hate it

5. Loved it, now like it

6. Loved it, now dislike it

7. Loved it, now hate it

8. Liked it, now love it

9. Liked it, now dislike it

10. Liked it, now hate it

11. Disliked it, now love it

12. Disliked it, now like it

13. Disliked it, now hate it

14. Hated it, now love it

15. Hated it, now like it

16. Hated it, now dislike it

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    I picked liked it to now love it. It's the season I enjoy more every time I watch it. It has a gentle charm and comfort to it, where the gang genuinely feel like a family before they start tearing themselves apart.

2. The Ferg

The Ferg Mine is an evil laugh!

I am utterly blown away by you guys' adoration of this season. I mean, it's really good, but I don't think it comes close to top-tier Whedon TV.

That said, I loved it too. In fact, I used to feel fairly indifferent toward it, but now I've grown to really appreciate the simpler approach to Angel. All of the characters are incredibly interesting and... that's about it. Of course, there's so much to love about this season, but great character growth is really the only noteworthy thing imo.

My biggest problem is that there isn't really a sense of direction until Shanshu. Every episode is just a random one-off. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it does leave it lagging behind when compared to AS2, 3, and 5. It might have some of the best episode of the series (City Of, I Will Remember You, Hero, Somnambulist, Five by Five/Sanctuary, and To Shanshu in LA), but it's also got some really bad and boring episode ( Lonely Hearts, Expecting, She, and I've Got You Under My Skin). I guess I just don't feel like there's much to be said... It's just a series of random adventures, and some of them happen to be very high quality. :/

3. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

I just realized that I haven't posted in this thread yet...

I voted liked it, now love it.

I initially though the season was the weakest of the AtS seasons but my rewatch has made me appreciate it a lot more. Part of it is definitely because of how many strong episodes it has but also because I actually enjoy most of the case of the week episodes too. I guess I just really enjoy this version of Angel Investigations and how you can see them slowly become a family. The season has impeccable characterization and I think that even though they didn't have a seasonal arc, looking back at it, I do feel like the season makes sense as a whole. I guess it's a season that leaves me satisfied and when it comes to this show the only other time this happens is season 2. It wasn't too ambitious but still managed to leave a mark because of some extremely memorable episodes. The nostalgia factor is also strong with this season...

GraceK, The Ferg and thetopher like this.
  4. Out for a walk

Out for a walk 5 Words Or Less...

I don't really remember many Angel episodes. I honestly don't think I have ever rewatched them. After I am done rewatching Buffy, I am going to watch Angel again. So I will come back and make my judgment then. ;)

5. Antho

Antho Potential

I do a small summary of my opinion on this season :

The + :

- The characters and their evolutions: Angel, Cordy, Wesley,
    - Crossovers with Buffy : They are clearly part of the best episodes of the season,
    - Los Angeles, very good choice of city. Beautiful scenery, good atmosphere,
    - Wolfram and Hart: Lilah, Lyndsey, Holland, that beautiful charismatic wicked,
    - Gunn, I like him,
    - The generic/opening credit. I absolutely love the song !

The +/- :

- Kate: I do not hate her, only the treatment of this character drags a bit in length,
    - Too many stands alones that I liked quite well because they had an interesting background but the form leaves to be desired ("She" "Expecting" "War Zone"),
    - The death of Doyle : It made me cry to lose him but what his death entails was worth it.

The - :

- Too much episode, the series would have won to reduce to 12 episodes as for season 1 of BTVS. The absence of continuity would be less felt.
    - Some stand alone are really weak, intrigues little exciting,
    - A season too uneven for my taste,
    - A really passable writing at times,
    - The Spin Off has a lot of trouble getting emancipated from the mother series (Buffy).

I vote "Still like it" !

Priceless and Athene like this.