1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question Season 2: Your views, before and now

Discussion in 'Season 2' started by matt124, Apr 1, 2017.

?

Season 2: Your views, before and now

1. Still love it

2. Still like it

3. Still dislike it

4. Still hate it

5. Loved it, now like it

6. Loved it, now dislike it

7. Loved it, now hate it

8. Liked it, now love it

9. Liked it, now hated it

10. Disliked it, now love it

11. Disliked it, now like it

12. Disliked it, now hate it

13. Hated it, now love it

14. Hated it, now like it

15. Hated it, now dislike it

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. matt124

matt124 Potential

How did you feel about Buffy Season 2 when you first watched it and what is your view to it now today? Has your opinion changed over the years.

2. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    Liked it, now love it

3. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    Still love it.
    Actually I love it a lot more now.

The first time I watched it, I was upset by how annoying Buffy was and the whole bit about blaming Buffy for Angelus and how everyone assumed Buffy had sex with Angel because he lost his soul. I was like, really, everyone looks at Buffy and deduces she had sex?

Now I can shut the part of my brain that emotes whenever Buffy complains too much and go all "Aww. Buffy is so cute this season." Can't do it with Halloween though. I'm still incredibly annoyed by that episode.

I love Angelus a lot more now too. When I first watched this season I just wanted Angel back, because I didn't know how long that was going to take. Now that I do, I love Angelus.

I always loved the MofW episodes that everyone hates: Inca Mummy Girl, Reptile Boy (which now doesn't irk me), Bad Eggs (which admittedly is kind of boring in parts), Killed by Death and now Go Fish.

However, I was more impressed with Becoming than I am now that I've seen Ats, but Innocence just gets better every time I watch it.

matt124 and GraceK like this.
  4. brinkster130

brinkster130 Riley's BFF Staff Member

Sineya
    Loved it and still love it!

5. Zenseem

Zenseem Evil, skanky and kinda gay

Black Thorn
    Liked it, now love it. Apart from all the bangel bullshit it just gets better and better everytime I watch it

6. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    Yea at first I liked season 2 and then I watched it again and now I love it.

7. Smile Time

Smile Time The Scattered One

Sineya
    I liked it then and I still liked it now (not as good as seasons 3 and 4 thought).

8. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    Still like it. It is the first full-length season and it maintains the quality of the first season but there are a number of standalone episodes with variable quality - I Only Have Eyes for You is one of the best episodes of the entire series also but the season has Some Assembly Required, Reptile Boy, Ted, Bad Eggs and Killed by Death. Inca Mummy Girl and Go Fish are not as bad as the consensus here seems to indicate and both are vividly memorable.

9. matt124

matt124 Potential

Still love it.

I think a majority of the MOTW's may have been intended or written for season 1, except the season didn't end up being 22 episodes. Inca Mummy Girls basically feels like a season 1 episode, No Angel and Cordelia feels like she is her season 1 self pre knowing about Buffy being the slayer. A majority of the episodes in season 2 had season 1 been 22 episodes should just be moved over to season 1.

Loved the progression of the season. Angelus, Spike and Drusilla. Xander/Cordy. Willow/Oz and Jenny/Giles.

Unpopular opinion but I like Bad Eggs and Killed by Death. Might be one of the few fans who likes those episodes. They are not that bad, I truly have gotten to like the MOTW's. Yes people these days love arc and plot. But I really do like some good standalone's. Besides these have parts that progress the season. Bag Eggs sets up Surprise, as the last time Buffy/Angel are happy. Killed by Death plays with Angelus and Xander feeling protected of Buffy, and love the parts with Cordelia and Giles.

Carrie Hopewell likes this.
  10. HowiMetdaSlayer

HowiMetdaSlayer Occasionally, I am callous and strange.

Will always ♥ seasons 2 & 3! :)

11. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

Still love it.

When I first watched it, I had never seen anything like it before on television. What a memorable season!

It's a cute season that really pulls your heartstrings in the worst (but best) way possible. The Angelus arc is still my favorite arc in all buffyverse. There's something really powerful about it and it's so well executed that even knowing the outcome, I'm on the edge of my seat and I feel so much for Buffy every single time I watch it. I also enjoy the monster of the week episodes a lot. They all have cute moments and it's just a really enjoyable season for the scoobies.

BuffyBot22 and Carrie Hopewell like this.
  12. The Ferg

The Ferg Mine is an evil laugh!

When I first joined this forum I remember doing almost the same thing by making a different thread in every season asking what were the Scariest, Funniest, and most action-packed episode for each season.

Anyway, I voted for loved it, now like it. Obviously, I enjoy the season a bit more than most things in the world, but for the purposes of the poll 'like it' is my option. I used to view S2-3 as the pinnacle of the show, but now they're just so... high school. That's not really a bad thing, but I'm just at a point in my life where I'm kind of over teenage protagonists.
    On top of that, this season probably has the must clunkers of any season besides S1: Some Assembly Required, Inca Mummy Girl, Reptile Boy, Ted, Bad Eggs, and Go Fish. That's 27% of the season.

matt124 likes this.
  13. Jam

Jam Pepper spray is just so passé

Still love it! I love it more, actually, now that I can appreciate it on a critical level. I don't even think the 'bad' episodes are all that bad and they don't taint the season at all for me because the highs of the season are just so high and powerful.

Agreed! I quite enjoy those episodes :)

matt124 and Carrie Hopewell like this.
  14. matt124

matt124 Potential

Nice to see I am not alone. I guess MOTW's are not for everyone, but these ones did have great important stuff for the Buffy/Angel relationship. I get that some people just complain so much about filler episodes, and they just want plot plot plot and main story arc. But I have come to like filler/MOTW's even more as I have gotten older.

It is so much fun to have breather episode and focus on some character development. Because I am know who does find a good balance works. Its no wonder the show's that are so so serialised, I have lost interest in sometimes. Especially shows where it get's confusing to follow, unless you have time to binge. Because sometimes I find those heavy serialised shows barely have time to give development to characters, and the writers admit they ran out of time to fit in it. Unlike some shows where I do feel filler actually does work. It does have it's usefulness, and I bet many might disagree with me.

15. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    I will quote this very wise person from another post:

Me smart.

See, because of repeating my posts I get more likes. Masterful really.

GwenRaiden: Hahah
    vellavu, Bluebird, BuffyBot22 and 2 others like this.
  16. AnthonyCordova

AnthonyCordova Apocalypse Engine

Sineya
    I like Season 2 a lot actually despite its many flaws. Of all the seasons that I considered very flawed, it is the one that I forgive the most. Even the episodes that seem to fail on their own, like Inca Mummy Girl or Reptile Boy, deliver interesting psychological commentary about various features of youth and human relationships in general, believe it or not; as an example, there is actually a very sophisticated meta commentary happening in Some Assembly Required about how attraction in various ways is blinding...so that on one level the episode fails and is rather cheesy or whatever, but the campiness on the surface belies a surprising depth beneath. This is how I observe most of the season 2 episodes these days. They seem to contradict by both failing to entertain and/or are cheesy/campy, but on another level succeed in expressing psychological features of human experience rather well. Perhaps it is more evident in Season 2 because of this very contrast.

So yes, I like Season 2 much more than I used to in my first few watches. Other things are growing on me.

thrasherpix and thetopher like this.
  17. elevenism

elevenism Townie

It affected me so deeply that I've reached a point where I can't really watch it anymore. The music alone almost brings years to my eyes.

18. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

Buffy season 2 is still the best season in my opinion. Aside from Bangel, it's not ship focussed narrative wise.

19. Cordeliagirl

Cordeliagirl Oh, Buffy, we're sisters! With different hair.

Sineya
    I love it, when they have Xander and Cordelia as couple then Williow and Xander as couple, i was upset about when she was bad episode, that Xander and Williow almost kiss each other, and Williow caught Xander and Cordy kissing on Innocence Episode.