1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question Season 2: Your views, before and now

Discussion in 'Season 2' started by matt124, Apr 2, 2017.

?

Season 2: Your views, before and now

1. Still love it

2. Still like it

3. Still dislike it

4. Still hate it

5. Loved it, now like it

6. Loved it, now dislike it

7. Loved it, now hate it

8. Liked it, now love it

9. Liked it, now dislike it

10. Liked it, now hate it

11. Disliked it, now love it

12. Disliked it, now like it

13. Disliked it, now hate it

14. Hated it, now love it

15. Hated it, now like it

16. Hated it, now dislike it

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. matt124

matt124 Potential

How did you feel about Angel Season 2 when you first watched it and what is your view to it now today? Has your opinion changed over the years.

2. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    Still like it.

3. GwenRaiden

GwenRaiden AKA Apology Girl

Black Thorn
    Season 2 and 3 don't stick in my mind as much as the other three seasons (for better or worse). I love Darla and there's some great writing, so I still like season 2 as much as I did.

4. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    S2 is bittersweet to me, because it introduced Lorne and that is a character I truly hate. If Lorne had stayed over the rainbow then I could have loved the season.

5. matt124

matt124 Potential

Loved it now like it. I loved the first half more than the second, and only liked Reprise and Epiphany in the second.

Pylia arc was fun, but to be honest it didn't feel like a season final arc to me. It felt like a typical every season arc. It truly felt like it wasn't planned. To be honest, It just didn't have the season final ending that was typical of Buffy. Except for season 1 and 5, Angel always ended it's season very slow and low key.

Yeah I loved the Darla arc. But It felt like Darla's story and Drusilla being written out had to do with the actresses being busy. Like I felt the Pylia arc maybe wasn't planned and they were suppose to do more with Darla. It just felt off. We had a huge arc for the first half, and them they just brought Darla back for 2 episodes in the second to close it out. I always wondered if Angelus was suppose to return, and they pushed that to season 4 instead.

6. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    Still love it.

I don't like Disharmony and the Pylea arc (including Belonging). Epiphany is the last episode I love. That's the thing with this season. There is so much mind blowing greatness that I just don't give a shit anymore about episodes 17-22. They don't exist to me.

Judgment, AYNOHYEB, Guise Will Be Guise, Darla, Reunion, Reprise, Epiphany are brilliant episodes. Like, off the charts brilliant in the case of AYNOHYEB and Reprise/Epiphany. Dear Boy, The Trial, Redefinition, Blood Money, Happy Anniversary, The Thin Dead Line are mostly great episodes. Of the Darla arc, I only dislike First Impressions and Untouched (mainly Untouched),

The first time I saw the Darla arc, I couldn't stop watching it. I was completely enthralled. I didn't know what was happening with Angel and it was all so exciting. My thoughts were: "This is the best thing I've ever seen in T.V." and that's still true, except that I see the flaws in episodes like The Trial (the soapyness of it) and in Darla (the way she was written I mean). Obviously, some of the magic is gone, but still...

I can think about this season for hours. Angel's arc and his relationship with Darla (and the way it contrasts with Buffy and Angel in Buffy season 2) is just so damn brilliant and interesting. It was a stroke of genius, mainly Tim Minear's genius.

thetopher and matt124 like this.
  7. matt124

matt124 Potential

Yeah I don't care for the rest of the season post-Epiphany. With season 2 and 3. Epiphany and Forgiving could of made great season enders. I could of accepted season 2 ending this way. Only you either have to have Fred never introduced or moved to season 3. Same with ending season 3 with Forgiving, you basically can rewrite season 4 completely.

But this is all just me having fun, as I do with what ifs?

I just never felt the season finals of 2 and 3 were strong, they didn't feel strong enough to me.

I really loved the Darla arc and still do. So glad they regretted the decision of killing Darla. But it makes me wonder had she lived how she would play into season 2 of Buffy. I am glad they went against the decision of getting rid of Darla in Reprise, as I actually loved her season 3 arc and ending.

Carrie Hopewell likes this.
  8. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    The first time I watched it, I found some of the Pylea arc cringeworthy but now (since I know it only lasts three episodes), it does become a bit better. What gets fleshed out in this season is that Wolfram & Hart is a unique quantity in this kind (or any kind) of literature - an evil law firm run by Senior Partners who are Satanic and whose reach extends into all dimensions (including Pylea). Most of the episodes are good this season.

9. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

This is my favorite AtS season. I love almost every single thing about it, not even kidding.

I'm in love with the Darla arc. It's still my favorite thing AtS did. It also has my favorite AtS episode (AYNOHYEB) and my favorite AtS scene (Angel's epiphany).

I personally love the Pylea arc. It's fun and gives us a lot of insights about the characters even though they're in a completely different universe. It also has some great moments for almost every character. I love the light contrast that arc has compared to what's going on on BtVS at that time. Then the season seems to end with a kind of fairytale feel to it except that nope because Angel learns about Buffy's death and they're brought back to the reality of their life and everything is pain again.

The more I rewatch it, the more I love it. So it's liked it, now love it for me.

10. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    Still love it. The first time I saw it I was blown away by the whole thing; the themes of this season resonate throughout most other seasons of Angel, from beginning to end.

I don't like the Pylea stuff at all (It's like Angel trying to do Hercules the Legendary Journey or some crap. Not fun) and its darkness can be hard to watch all the way through, but that's about it.

From Judgement to Dead End it's very high quality, plus the journey of Cordelia, Wesley and Gunn is just as important as Angel's, and W&H has never been better.

11. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    I loved season 2 when I binged watched Angel in Netflix and I still love it. There's some bad eps for sure, but I love everything with Darla. I really like the Pylea arc and we get introduced to Fred which is my favorite character. Also Are You Now...is one of my favorite episodes of the show.

See I'm the opposite. I love Lorne, and I loved him being introduced at the beginning of season 2.

12. Smile Time

Smile Time The Scattered One

Sineya
    Loved it then, hate it now with the exception of the Darla/Drusilla and the Pylea arcs.

13. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

I'm confused... isn't this pretty much all of the season?

What part do you hate exactly?

14. Smile Time

Smile Time The Scattered One

Sineya
    Angel going dark, Angel and Darla hooking up and conceiving in the process.

I felt like Angel going dark played a very big part in the season and I didn't like it, especially the part where he has sex with Darla.

The episode where Wes pretends to be Angel has nice though.

15. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

oh I thought you meant you loved the Darla arc and Angel going dark was part of that. So I was confused. You probably meant you love the Darla/Drusilla pairing stuff instead? I just didn't get that you were talking about just the 2 of them together.

Smile Time: Yep
  16. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    Still love it. I enjoy the Darla arc and using W&H as an ongoing baddie.

17. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Thing season two went up for me on the second viewing. First time I was still finding my way into the show and probably liked the later seasons more if anything. Season 2 mirrors Buffy season in that, you still get some bumpy episodes in the first half of the season, but from the mid-way point onwards it hits stride and we start seeing the very best of what Angel as a show has to offer. Its close between this and S3 for my best season I'd say.

18. thetopher

Sineya
    Loved it; then and now but for different reasons:

Then: I found the Bangel drama a complete drag but the MotW episodes were fun, Spike was a cool and charismatic villain, Drusilla gave Angel some much needed depth, Giles was Ripper and then HOLY CRAP they just turned Angel evil! That's awesome. Wow, and he's so evil, cruel and now suddenly the stakes are raised for everyone. Jenny dies and poor Buffy is driven to the brink but then she kicks his ass! Yay, and now she's gone.
    Basically I found the first half 'fun' but the second half really daring and riveting.

Now: I love the Bangel drama more and I like how the themes of the season (love, lust, duality) are there in almost every episode and yet it never seems repetitive; there's a nice balance between silly cheesy episodes and darker character driven ones.
    I find the Angel/Angelus thing thematically very good but dramatically very stupid; the curse makes no sense and yeah, its really contrived; the 'turning a character dark' thing will be done way more skillfully later on.
    ...But that doesn't bother me too much because the results are so well acted; its the first time the show works on multiple levels at the same time. The season is so much high school soap opera/hellish metaphor that I can still appreciate all of it.

GwenRaiden: Wrong show, buddy! This is the Angel thread.
    Mylie and Carrie Hopewell like this.
  19. thetopher

Sineya
  20. GwenRaiden

GwenRaiden AKA Apology Girl

Black Thorn
    I was extra confused because you'd already previously replied to this thread. I was tripping balls.