1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Season 4 overall?

Discussion in 'Season 4' started by TARAMaclayLover, Feb 25, 2017.

1. TARAMaclayLover

TARAMaclayLover Townie

I enjoy season 4, because two of my favourite characters become more important/appear for the first time in this season, however the villains are just a bit...eh. I prefer Glory, Caleb, or the Mayor, to Adam and the Initiative. I mean, Tara and Anya, they're hilarious and unique additions to the Scooby gang, and as well, they both become important characters later on, but the villains Buffy faces are just kinda meh. I did love Restless though, and the Gentlemen are brilliant one episode characters!

2. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    Still rate 'The Gentlemen' as the best bad guys they ever had on Buffy! So damned creepy!!!! :confused:

3. Athena

Athena Tweedledum Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Season 4 is highly underrated. Take away all the Riley'Initiative stuff and it's actually fairly decent in many places, exceptional in some.

Mylie and Zenseem like this.
  4. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    Riley and the Initiative stuff is highly underrated. Granted, the implementation of the story left a lot to be desired, but Riley and the Initiative really changed the course of the show. So many future storylines came from those two things and too many people simply poo-poo it away and dismiss it. You take away Riley and the Initiative and the show is drastically altered.

sosa lola, GwenRaiden and Priceless like this.
  5. Priceless

Priceless The Badship Spuffy

I've never thought of of it that way before. Without the Initiative we would never have had a chipped Spike, which totally changed the course of the show. Can't help but wonder if the Initiative came after the writers decided they needed a way to change Spike's character and intergrate him more into the show, or were they always going to go with the Initiatve storyline

6. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    Spike was a byproduct of Carpenter leaving the show. They wanted a snarky replacement and went with him. They had already planned the Initiative storyline and thought that would be a way to reintroduce Spike to the show as a regular.

Priceless likes this.
  7. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

I love S4. I love Riley and the Initiative. I love Buffy, Willow and Oz as college students. I love Xander, Spike and Giles as losers living in Loserville. Also, awesome experimental episodes like Hush and Restless. Spander in the basement of doom. The Scooby-focused arc. So much to love about this season.

GoSpuffy, Mylie and GwenRaiden like this.
  8. Zenseem

Zenseem Evil, skanky and kinda gay

Black Thorn
    Season 4 is my favorite season. It has some great episodes (even the standalone/filler episodes), introduction/development of some great characters and initiates a whole new phase in the characters lives and I simply love how it's handled Buffy getting used to college life, Willow going through some changes, Xander trying to figure things out in his life and feeling left out, Giles and his midle age crises. It's a great season to watch... Aut then came the whole Initative/Riley/Adam BS and ruined what for me was a perfect season. But besides this it's a great season IMO and it's unfortunately the most underated season of the show.

9. GoSpuffy

GoSpuffy Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer

Black Thorn
    I agree Adam was not the best big bad but overall I really enjoy this season. They did a great job taking the story out of high school and growing up the characters. Humour content was spot on all season.

10. Slayrunt

Slayrunt Oh ho! Aren’t you Mr. Dicey Semantics?

The idea of the initiative was interesting to me. It was a cool idea to see how humans outside of the scoobies dealt with demons and such. Adam wasn't the best big bad but the end fight with buffy I really enjoyed. It wasn't without flaws obvi... but the concept was cool.

11. Monkey Pants

Monkey Pants Bored Now

Black Thorn
    Season 4 is one of my least favorite season, but it's still pretty good. It just feels very uneven and weird to me.