1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question Season 4: Your views, before and now

Discussion in 'Season 4' started by matt124, Apr 1, 2017.

?

Season 4: Your views, before and now

1. Still love it

2. Still like it

3. Still dislike it

4. Still hate it

5. Loved it, now like it

6. Loved it, now dislike it

7. Loved it, now hate it

8. Liked it, now love it

9. Liked it, now dislike it

10. Liked it, now hate it

11. Disliked it, now love it

12. Disliked it, now like it

13. Disliked it, now hate it

14. Hated it, now love it

15. Hated it, now like it

16. Hated it, now dislike it

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. matt124

matt124 Potential

How did you feel about Buffy Season 4 when you first watched it and what is your view to it now today? Has your opinion changed over the years.

2. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    I haven't been watching Buffy for years, but the first time I watched this season I thought it was boring, irritating, and forgettable.

I this season improves with a second viewing for most, after you've seen all of Buffy, because while s4 pales in comparison to the HS years, it doesn't pale in comparison to the later years.

That said, I've been trying to rewatch it these past couple of months and found that I love the beginning up until Beer Bad, but now I'm struggling a lot. The Buffy/Riley romance and The Initiative has kicked off and I don't like it one bit. Briley is melodramatic, much like Spuffy, without the awareness of said melodrama from the writers like Bangel. And Forrest and Graham are so dull.

Hopefully, it gets better and I manage to watch all of it. I've seen a lot of the episodes more than once without doing a full rewatch and I don't think Where the Wild Things Are is that bad, for example, and love Superstar. These are two despised episodes that I actually like, so maybe I'll enjoy this season again once I finally convince myself to watch the rest!

3. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    Still like it

4. Priceless

Priceless She doesn't just fight evil, she redeems it

I guess I liked it when I first saw it and I still like it. When you consider the individual episodes, Season 4 is great; Hush, This Years Girl, Something Blue etc. But the overall product is just ok. It doesn't raise any strong feeling in me, and that's the problem. I don't hate Riley, Adam or the Initiative, but there is a real sense of disappointment after the high of S3 and I just wish it were better than it is.

5. brinkster130

brinkster130 Riley's BFF Staff Member

Sineya
    Loved it and still love it.

6. Zenseem

Zenseem Evil, skanky and kinda gay

Black Thorn
    Still adore it.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  7. GwenRaiden

GwenRaiden AKA Apology Girl

Black Thorn
    Still love it.

8. BrownJacker

BrownJacker A Reader of All Things

Sineya
    I could never get past what it almost was. I recently re-watched the entire series before joining, and I could not stand how it nearly was absolutely amazing and failed. I liked the occasional episode, but it could not make up for the fact that the main story line was so close to being good that when it failed, namely once Adam being a thing, it failed hard. The Initiative could have been such a good metaphor for realizing that the world was not always black and white, and for racial equality, by introducing good demons, and make them more predominant than the evil demons in Sunnydale. Buffy could have become a buffer for both sides, keeping harmless demons and humans safe, while killing truly evil ones. Still keeping most of the baddies demons, but forcing the characters to meet demons with emotions. There should also be some clarification on if some demons have souls, like say Clem or Lorne, or if it is a purely human thing. It didn't go that way, and I thought it would up until Adam was shown. I am sorry, and I understand why people like it, I just am still disappointed in how it went down compared to my expectations for it. They were unrealistic, maybe, but I couldn't help hoping that was how it was going to happen and could never really move past it.

Zenseem: Couldn't have said it better myself
    HowiMetdaSlayer and Zenseem like this.
  9. Zenseem

Zenseem Evil, skanky and kinda gay

Black Thorn
    That's the season's main flaw. It had potential but they didn't really know what to do with it, just like in season 7.

BrownJacker likes this.
  10. BrownJacker

BrownJacker A Reader of All Things

Sineya
    Exactly, there were amazing episodes, but the overarching story seemed off in many places, like they couldn't commit to the original idea, in my opinion.

Zenseem likes this.
  11. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    After watching This Year's Girl and Who Are You, I think I can say that I still hate the season.

12. YummySushiPJs

YummySushiPJs Scooby

Wow, I genuinely thought when I clicked "Still love it" I'd be the only one. Great to see Season 4 getting some much deserved love! I genuinely think it's a brilliantly paced out season which has both good character development and the overall story is excellently paced with lots of twists and turns. Adam's the worst villain and Maggie Walsh should have stayed longer but all the awesome stuff shouldn't be overlooked for that, and I genuinely think that the writing is fantastic this season. As well as that, the season has a lot of fun in it. It's still got that youthful optimism.

Zenseem likes this.
  13. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    This is the second season of Buffy that I watched so at the time I loved it. Now I like it, but there's a lot of bad in it as
    Well as great.

Carrie Hopewell likes this.
  14. HowiMetdaSlayer

HowiMetdaSlayer Occasionally, I am callous and strange.

Seems like both seasons 4 & 6 get a lot of hate on here, but most seem to like season 7. Which I find incomprehensible! :confused: Cause season 7 was simply atrocious. Now admittedly season 6 was weak. Now, I'd list season 4 as... well 4th overall. I think season 4 was great for character development. Yes, it would've benefited from a better villain and story line, especially in the 2nd half. However, I don't see how anyone can rate it below the 'season which must not be watched' with The Worst and the (or rather the lack thereof) Potentials.

YummySushiPJs: 100% agree. And even though the villain was bad the overall story arc of the initiative was well paced and cleverly plotted.
    AnthonyCordova: I would agree that s7 sucks. You have a companion on that road
    YummySushiPJs and Zenseem like this.
  15. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    I committed myself a few years ago to watching one episode of the entire series every day, going through all seven seasons. I finally bogged down with the Initiative. It was a magnificent idea that somehow lost everything in the execution. There are some good episodes here, Beer Bad, Something Blue, Hush, A New Man, This Year's Girl, Who Are You, Superstar, The Yoko Factor and Restless, but the season is hollowed out by the Initiative arc which should have been magnificent, but was a flop.

16. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    I agree. I think season 4 is right in the middle in terms of story and production quality. The more I think about season 7 the less I like it. For me I just love Buffy as a whole, and I enjoy every season, just some more than others.

17. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

I used to find season very weak but still enjoyable so I'd say I liked it. But now I love it. The Initiative arc isn't one of my favorite seasonal arcs but I think the idea was interesting and it had direction. The season just makes me happy and totally captures the college life and friendships changing, etc. There are so many amazing episodes. It's also a season where I enjoy all the characters.

BuffyBot22: Omg Yes! This is the first season in which I don't find Xander repulsive lol.
    BuffyBot22 and YummySushiPJs like this.
  18. GraceK

GraceK Grr Arrg

I love this season. It's also the last season in my opinion before things to go to hell with the scoobies. I love so many of the episodes, and I find season 4 is the easiest one to rewatch. Adam is lame and the arc is weak, but I think to me the main point of the season was the scoobies drifting, then reuniting. They are still such a great core of friends, it's pre Dawn, Giles is so lovable and I just love it!! And I love love love when Faith returns...she adds such a vibrancy to the season...it's the beginning of such a good character arc for her.

Dora and HowiMetdaSlayer like this.
  19. Smile Time

Smile Time The Scattered One

Sineya
    Used to hate it, now I like it (if it wasn't for Briley, I would've loved it...).

20. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    Still like it. It's the season I'm least passionate about either for or against; I don't love it and I don't hate it. It's just there, wagging its tail and being kinda cute.
    It has a few of the best episodes Buffy ever did- the episodic ones- but the Initiative arc felt and still feels entirely limp; a confused, uninvolved mess with a dull Big Bad planted on top.
    It's the only season where the Big Bad has nothing to do with the finale, which I guess is fitting.