1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question Season 5: Your views, before and now

Discussion in 'Season 5' started by matt124, Apr 1, 2017.

?

Season 5: Your views, before and now

1. Still love it

2. Still like it

3. Still dislike it

4. Still hate it

5. Loved it, now like it

6. Loved it, now dislike it

7. Loved it, now hate it

8. Liked it, now love it

9. Liked it, now dislike it

10. Liked it, now hate it

11. Disliked it, now love it

12. Disliked it, now like it

13. Disliked it, now hate it

14. Hated it, now love it

15. Hated it, now like it

16. Hated it, now dislike it

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. matt124

matt124 Potential

How did you feel about Buffy Season 5 when you first watched it and what is your view to it now today? Has your opinion changed over the years.

2. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    Liked it, now dislike it

3. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    Still hate it.

This is probably my most hated Buffy season because it's so consistently boring.
    Buffy whines way too much for someone who has been through what she has. The Scoobies all fall apart and all their interactions are rare and lackluster. Glory is insanely badly written and irritating. All episodes bleed into one massive boring episode.

With the exception of The Body/Forever and the last two minutes of The Gift, I would be happy to never watch this season again. I tried to love it, watched it three times all the way through but it just does not get more impressive with time.

Fuffy Baith: I'm with you!
    Fuffy Baith likes this.
  4. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    Query: did you binge watch it?

5. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    I binge watched it the first time. Not a good idea. But watched it more casually the third time. Doesn't make much of a difference to me though. It's easier to handle the season a couple of episodes a day, but doesn't make me like it more. It still sucks.

caitaintdead: Why did you binge watch something you clearly hated?
    Fuffy Baith likes this.
  6. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    I think being able to watch it once a week made the difference. It was better being drawn out over the course of a year than watch in a month of so. When I first watched it it was much better- of course it was also supposed to be the final season (which may have made the season more potent that it was)- but then when you watch a chunk of them together it really loses it.

GwenRaiden and Carrie Hopewell like this.
  7. brinkster130

brinkster130 Riley's BFF Staff Member

Sineya
    I voted liked it to disliked it. I still enjoy it because it's Buffy but it isn't the strongest season...it was the beginning of the downfall IMO.

Mr. Pole: I see... uh huh. Sneaky sneaky
    Carrie Hopewell likes this.
  8. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    No you didn't. I voted "Liked it now dislike it" and it only has one vote. Are you a closet S5 lover? Trying to hide your shame by claiming someone else's vote?

brinkster130: I forgot to submit my vote -.-
  9. Tome

Tome Berktwad

Black Thorn
    I used to love it to death and consider it to be my favorite season, but after multiple rewatches some of the weaker episodes bring it down a tad. I still enjoy it quite a lot, though.

10. Zenseem

Zenseem Evil, skanky and kinda gay

Black Thorn
    Loved it, now like it. It just feels a little overrated for me now and a little boring sometimes.

11. YummySushiPJs

YummySushiPJs Scooby

I like the overall story about the Mystical Key being sent to the Slayer for protection in human form and the Hell God who wants to use it to unleah Hell on Earth and for what purpose? To get home. Such a simple explanation and the best stories usually are. The whole concept has a fairytale quality to it and I always felt would work quite well as a standalone story even not as part of BtVS.

However, it's not a greatly detailed story and the more you examine it (or just rewatch it) the more flaws and holes you find. Why did ancient texts (or whatever) talk about the key's blood flowing when the Key had only been given blood and human form a few months ago? And with her blood being the same as Buffy's, does that mean Buffy would have been able to open and close the portal too whether or not the key was around and/or in human form? (Bear in mind, Buffy was around, having blood, long before Dawn came along. The monks gave Dawn (the key) Buffy's blood. Yet it was that very blood of Dawn's which was "the key to the key" and able to open and close the portal. Dawn didn't add any extra special "keyness" to it. We know this because instead of Dawn, Buffy is the one who closes it by sacrificing herself. Ergo, the only logical conclusion I can come to... Buffy was the Key. And even if Dawn had never been created and The Key was still a mystical ball of energy, or a bicycle pump, Buffy would still have been able to open and close the portal. Because turning The Key into Dawn doesn't change Buffy's blood.) I'm not saying I believe this, I'm just saying the plot holes allow these conclusions to be drawn.

Then we have the demon servant things who worshiped Glory. Why? Who were they? Where did they come from? Where did they go? (Where did they come from Cotton Eye Joe?) Why were no other demons aware of and/or worshiping her? You'd think she'd be kind of popular.

What's the backstory to Ben and how he was created?

The story is worthy of a lot more detail.

That aside... Season 5 has some strong stand alone episodes and the group seems more "secure" than Season 4 where all the characters kind of drifted apart for a while (and will do again unfortunately). Season 5 is the only one of the latter seasons where they all feel like a strong secure unit.

12. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    Hated it, now dislike it. There's a few good episodes I enjoy but overall it was boring the first time and still is.

13. HowiMetdaSlayer

HowiMetdaSlayer Occasionally, I am callous and strange.

Think maybe a tad weaker on more viewings (random episodes). As always, I really feel that the addition of Dawn (meant to bring in younger viewers no matter what Joss says), was subtraction by addition (sorry Auntie). Now I will say that she got better in later seasons, but I always felt that she was an unnecessary addition. However, having said that, I'd still rank it 3rd overall.

14. YummySushiPJs

YummySushiPJs Scooby

How do you account for older viewers who liked the addition of Dawn and thought it improved the show?

15. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    I liked this season for the most part although "The Weight of the World" is like watching paint dry, one of the worst episodes in the series. Dawn was in interesting addition and "The Body" was one of the all-time great episodes, not just on Buffy but is all of television. Glory was great and so was the backstory.

16. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    It was a really good concept but dayum, it did last way too long. It was trying to be avant garde but failed.

17. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

Liked it, now love it.

The way this season is built is so impressive. I know it has a lot of unmemorable episodes but I don't mind it because the arc is so good and those episodes help further the plot.

It's my favorite season for Buffy's character. I love how focused she is, how she's worried about losing her heart, how she's dealing with losing her mother and how (like Giles said) she keeps putting her heart above all else. The season just feels extremely personal to me, from the Buffy/Dawn relationship to Buffy's grief and the state of emotional exhaustion she's in. I also can't help by parallel it to season 2 and it just make me feel even more.

18. Dora

Dora Potential

Apart from every body Dawn would met having to have their mind altered which would have not been possible, as you pointed out Dawn was made out of Buffy Blood ( slayers Blood ), how did the Monks get any of Buffy blood ? and it had to be the same to close the portal , but Dawn / Buffys blood was still flowing in Dawn? so would have the portal have shut anyway ? And what happened to the green ball of energy that was Dawn where did that go ? Could Dawn not have kept it that not have been used in later series like to kill the uber vamps in the hell mouth ?
    Plenty about the whole inserting Dawn did not make sense ......As I pointed out in a earlier post made more sense if Buffy had gone to bed normal awoke on morning with a full time pregnancy and given birth to dawn, that way it Dawn would have Buffy blood and no need for memory implantation to every Body dawn had met

19. Smile Time

Smile Time The Scattered One

Sineya
    Used to like it, now I hate it, it drags on forever... :rolleyes:

20. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    Still like it. I guess 'strongly like' but not love. It's easily the best of the 'adult years' seasons. By a long stretch.

It's the closest Buffy comes to doing a sweeping, season-long stuff that Angel tends to do, and it gets it mostly right. Yeah a lot of the details don't add up if you think on them but tbh that's never been a Buffy strong suite.
    But the gang is great, Tara becomes an official Scoobie, the Magic Box is kinda like the library, the writing is fresh & sharp, the stand-alones are great, Spike adds rather than detracts and the ending is one of the most well-written and heart-breaking.
    Buffy herself is great here; really strong and sympathetic but worn down by the progressive stress of the season.

There isn't anything I really dislike here; Glory is...okay. She comes and goes for me depending on the episode, I find her a middling Big Bad. Not fantastic but not that bad.
    Don't really like Ben, Spike's stalking is a bit unnervingly creepy but in context I understand that (the writer weren't trying to make a soulless demon better than he is. Yet),
    Tough Love and Weight Of The World are both a bit duff and dull (but with nice lil' bits)

caitaintdead: Yes. What you said!