1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question Season 5: Your views, before and now

Discussion in 'Season 5' started by matt124, Apr 2, 2017.

?

Season 5: Your views, before and now

1. Still love it

2. Still like it

3. Still dislike it

4. Still hate it

5. Loved it, now like it

6. Loved it, now dislike it

7. Loved it, now hate it

8. Liked it, now love it

9. Liked it, now dislike it

10. Liked it, now hate it

11. Disliked it, now love it

12. Disliked it, now hate it

13. Hated it, now love it

14. Hated it, now like it

15. Hated it, now dislike it

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. matt124

matt124 Potential

How did you feel about Angel Season 5 when you first watched it and what is your view to it now today? Has your opinion changed over the years.

2. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    Disliked then and dislike now...

3. matt124

matt124 Potential

I still dislike it. Season 5 is still my least favorite season of Angel. I just feel as a final season it was terrible, I hated the Wolfram and Heart focus, No Cordelia and it really lost the heart of the show with her. Then they killed off Fred. Harmony doesn't count, she wasn't really apart of the group. After doing a complete marathon of Buffy and Angel back in 2013, when I got to Angel season 5, the direction was completely like a 180, and I still hated it.

Had this been a normal season and we did get a season 6. I might look at it differently. I just like Angel investigations, that was what made the show special. Yes I have a few favorties, but very little.

4. GwenRaiden

GwenRaiden AKA Apology Girl

Black Thorn
    Used to love season 5. But I see a lot of flaws in it now. The ending is amazing, and there are lots of great moments and new characters that I love, so I still like it.

Carrie Hopewell likes this.
  5. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    I love the ending, but there are a ton of episodes that I simply want to toss away and never bother with again. If I were made to watch them I would hate it. There are but a few good episodes in the season.

6. matt124

matt124 Potential

Amen to this. Many I hate in this season too and never wish to sit through again. When I went through a list of my least, season 5 came in with the most over any season.

7. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    I still dislike it. It's a strong dislike, close to hate.

I have so many complaints about this season! The number 1 being the sheer amount of episodes that are, not only boring, but just flat out stupid: Harm's Way? Soul Purpose? Life of the Party? The Cautionary Tale of Numero Cinco? The Girl in Question? What were the writers thinking? Kudos on TCTONC for originality but WTF? And could TGIQ be any more ridiculous and insulting? Did we need Andrew to mess up another episode on top of everything else that was already going wrong?

This season is such a sell out too. First we have Spike - who is beyond annoying until mid season, then all of the sex and innuendo with Eve and Nina, the arc-less structure of the episodes, the "humor" the season needed to have, etc. Also, can we talk about the sexism? Destiny is so disgusting. In fact, everytime Angel and Spike open their mouths about Buffy I want to stake them both - Spike way more than Angel though.

And what about character arcs...what is Angel's? He is "corrupted by power" except that he clearly is the only one not corrupted. Angel mainly looks miserable, with bad hair and clothing, and starts perking up in You're Welcome, but remains the same for the rest of the season. Fred does nothing but wear short skirts and be the best woman in the world, Lorne does nothing at all, Harmony just irritates, Gunn has some minimal development, and Spike is just there...

On the same vein, there are no relationships! The Fang Gang barely acknowledges their previous friendships which sustained the show, Fred and Wesley are not that interesting, same for Nina and Angel and in every damn episode Angel and Spike must interact and be dumb together. Spike is the worst foil for Angel, but Whedon is in love with them unfortunately. Just like he's in love with Wes and Fred. Thankfully, Wesley is the only decent part of the season. That, and Origin and NFA. Not Fade Away is the best show finale I've ever seen, probably because Jeffrey Bell wrote it too.

And obviously, the feeling that you're watching a different show, very much aimed at men, is yet another flaw of this season.

Mr. Pole: I love Cautionary Tale of Numero Cinco... one of the few that I do love of that season.
    Mylie likes this.
  8. GraceK

GraceK Grr Arrg

I both agree and disagree. I actually did enjoy this season. I'm in the minority of loving TCTONC...I thought it was original and funny. Touching too. I like alot of the episodes for stand alones, I adore Harms Way. And
    Of course the lead up to the Finale, Connor and Illyria I love. And I'm guilty of loving the Spike/Angel interactions. Spike is so much more fun and interesting away from Buffy.

But your points about other stuff are absolutely correct. I barely recognize Angel as a character...he seems much more David than Angel. His love of sports watching for example. Since when ??? If you watch him in season 2 and watch him in 5, it's like 2 different creatures. The same with Gunn who I feel they destroyed. The only one who is infinitely better this season is Wesley. I will love him forever lol. So yeah, I'm 50:50 on this season

9. Carrie Hopewell

Sineya
    Well, we have to disagree too :p I know you like Spike and Spuffy and I mostly just talk shit about both Spike and Spuffy, so that's where we really disagree.
    I don't hate TCTONC. It is original and entertaining, unlike the other episodes. However, it's silly in a way that doesn't mesh with Ats and, as everything else, feels really different from the other seasons. In terms of sillyness, Smile Time is one of the season 5 episodes that reminds me the most of Angel seasons 1-4.

Same in season 3, where Angel's love for hockey was first mentioned o_O

Same. I looooove Wesley :)

10. GraceK

GraceK Grr Arrg

I forgot that hockey reference! :) Yeah the dumbing down of Angel I never understood :( Smile Time is possibly one of the creepiest episodes ever .

11. Carrie Hopewell

Sineya
    I don't find it creepy or frightening :) I don't find it funny either. Mostly, I think it's cute. It makes me smile ;)

12. GraceK

GraceK Grr Arrg

It disturbs me on so many levels. The idea that kids aren't even safe in their homes, that they are being preyed on by evil puppets is super unsettling...then the guy being used as a puppet, by a puppet is horrible. There's a lot of humor in the episode too thank goodness!!! I love the end fight scene with the puppets. But on a whole I think they did s good job on creepiness.

13. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    I love this season! The interesting part is we have people who have longed for the ability to do everything they wanted against an enemy that has everything they could want. Then they take over and get it all. What do they do? Everyone joined Hell, Incorporated voluntarily but no human survived being employed by Angel Investigations or Wolfram & Hart. A lot of the gloom and dreariness of the previous seasons was lifted thanks to necro-tempered glass that permits daytime activities by vampires. We lose Fred but gain Illyria - gut wrenching when it happens, but after a few episodes, we find we had traded up. Illyria wanting to keep Spike as a pet? Illyria trying to play Crash Bandicoot? Comedy gold. Illyria punching right through the head of Archduke Sebassis? Satisfying!

Not Fade Away is a brilliant episode, a little too packed perhaps, but the contrast with Buffy is unmistakeable - Chosen was a story about bad planning but uplifting in the end whereas Not Fade Away was a "plan your flight, fly your plan" type of story where everything goes as planned but it brings about chaos.

And don't forget, "You're a bloody puppet!"

14. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

I have extremely mixed feelings about AtS season 5. When it comes to how I feel about the characters and themes of the show, I hate it. This is my least favorite season for Angel (but I do still love him) and it's such a frustrating season to watch when you care about his character. I also miss Cordelia and I don't think Spike can fill her shoes. I also hate the fact that they killed their 2 female leads within 3 episodes.

I used to love season 5 though, probably because I used to enjoy Spike a lot more. Now I can barely tolerate him. I still enjoy some Spangel scenes, when it helps us understand the characters better (how they differ) like in Damage.

There are some excellent episodes though and I think I would have enjoyed the season a lot more if it wasn't the last. Because I just can't get behind some of the choices made in the last 2 episodes.

So I used to love it and now dislike it.

15. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    I voted love it, now like it again. It's went down after rewatching several times. The impact of the Illyria and Wes storyline distracts me from some heavy stinkers this season has. There seems to be more filler than in any other season of Angel, no doubt because they wanted to get away from the complicated arcs or 'turgid supernatural soap opera'. Hey, I liked some of that turgid.

16. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    I think I still like it. Season 5 is not an easy season to like because..well, it feels like our characters have been dropped into a different show. Like, Hell-A Law or something.
    The first half is- and I can't emphasis this enough- so rocky, so hit-and miss. Some truly awful episodes; close to the worst the show has ever produced. The only stand-out episodes are 'Hellbound' & 'Lineage'
    ...But things get a lot better around 'Damage' and 'You're Welcome'; its like the writers finally wake up and grab the season by the scruff of the neck and drag it somewhere.
    Is it perfect? No. For every Lindsey we get an Eve, we get Illyria but lose Fred, Hamilton is fun but Harmony grates. Spike starts off as a snarky ghost but slowly gets bashed into being a half decent character by the end.
    I liked Connor this season, and I liked the ending.

17. Smile Time

Smile Time The Scattered One

Sineya
    Liked it then, feel meh about it now...

18. Living Dead Boy

Living Dead Boy Joss Is A Very Flawed Boss

Black Thorn
    So here's the thing. Angel was the last Whedon show I ever finished. It took me forever mainly because I never thought Angel was all that interesting to me. His character definitely fleshed out a lot more in his own show, but most of the time on Buffy he was such a brooding bore that I never took kindly to him. So my first run through of Angel was filled with ups and downs. I stopped watching I don't know how many times, largely due to the growing pains of season 1. And even throughout the series, I always found the show to be wildly inconsistent. Like season 2 was damn near perfect until the lame Plyea arc. (Sorry Plyea fans!). It wasn't until season 5, ironically the last season, that I was hooked from start to finish. I feel like since Joss and Co. knew this was the last Buffyverse season, they decided to turn up the heat, and I love the overall arc and the philosophical questions it raised. And "Not Fade Away" was the perfect way to end the series. I loved it then, I love it now, I'll always love season 5. :)

19. Fool for Buffy

Fool for Buffy "I wanna see how it ends"

Sineya
    Loved it the first time I watched it and will continue to love it. Every episode is a gem. Spike's arc is not my favorite Spike arc but still very enjoyable. Wesley is less insane but still the same emotional rollercoaster and still the same badass. Lindsey's return was a fantastic twist with some serious implications. Cordy and Connor each get some redemption from their illegally bad storylines from season 4. Fred is at her best in this season, and that's coming from someone who enjoys every second she is on screen. She is stronger, smarter, somehow sweeter, and more heroic. And her death is the biggest emotional gut punch on either show, and is followed by Illyria, one of the most creative and well thought out short term storylines. And Not Fade Away is a perfect finale. This season will always be Angel at its finest to me.

TriBel likes this.
  20. AnthonyCordova

AnthonyCordova Apocalypse Engine

Sineya
    I have a bias, and the bias is that I always loved the idea of the gang working at Wolfram and Hart. In the good episodes, this tension contributes to the quality of the show. The great number of bad episodes this season is undeniable though.

Someone mentioned above the lack of relationships but I really kind of like that about this season. Too much made of relationships becomes an unwanted creative distraction for me and can start to drift into soap opera mode, which I have never cared for either.