1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question Season 6: Your views, before and now

Discussion in 'Season 6' started by matt124, Apr 1, 2017.

?

Season 6: Your views, before and now

1. Still love it

2. Still like it

3. Still dislike it

4. Still hate it

5. Loved it, now like it

6. Loved it, now dislike it

7. Loved it, now hate it

8. Liked it, now love it

9. Liked it, now dislike it

10. Liked it, now hate it

11. Disliked it, now love it

12. Disliked it, now like it

13. Disliked it, now hate it

14. Hated it, now love it

15. Hated it, now like it

16. Hated it, now dislike it

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. WillowFromBuffy

WillowFromBuffy "My bowling shoe fetish is not the issue here."

I am pretty sure Willow and Tara would have gotten jobs as burger flippers if Buffy had only asked. Thing is, stuffy got very strained.

Let's not forget that Willow and Xander put in several years of pro bono scooby work without asking for anything back and they kept obviously did their best with expenses while Buffy was dead. They kept the scooby gang going even when Buffy was moping in LA.

2. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

I'm a huge Xander and Willow fan, but I think when it comes to Buffy's financial issues, that they screwed up. They were the ones who pulled her out of heaven. She didn't want to be back. They should have helped out with money.

I do headcanon that they did - since Buffy didn't start her Doublemeat Palace job until mid-season, so obviously she got some help from Xander and Willow during the beginning of S6. Not to mention that a DMP salary isn't enough to cover everything.

GraceK and Athene like this.
  3. Anyanka Bunny Killer

Anyanka Bunny Killer "I got these evil hand issues..."

Black Thorn
    Season 6:

The showrunner/creator of the series hands over his daily responsibilities to a woman.

A main character is resurrected after meeting their demise in S5.

At first, the character seems a bit...off. Something isn't completely "right" with them.

A few episodes into this season, many fans are seriously unhappy. The show has taken a turn for the worse...it doesn't "feel" like it used to.

Though there are a few entertaining episodes, basically the season is a departure from the show we're familiar with. Plus, the episodes that sucked did so LOUDLY. And we're talking major suckage. Earth-shattering, bone-chilling awfulness.

The season's final two episodes turns a beloved ally into a mortal enemy...one who has the power to the destroy the world, if they choose. They obliterate an enemy...ewww! Flesh and blood flies.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Supernatural, in a nutshell.

Puppet: I give karma for SPN S6. BAD KARMA! :D
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    dcai0830, Puppet and Athene like this.
  4. Priceless

Priceless I am now

I still love it. There are some amazing episodes, stories and character development. For me the season is predominantly about women, mainly Buffy and Willow, finding their way in the world, coming to terms with real life and discovering who they really are.

Unfortunately Xander suffers from a seaon concentrating on women, and only has one story line for most of the season, that of thinking about a wedding, planning a wedding and not going through with a wedding. He does save the world at the end, but I'm not sure that makes up for it. The one good progression that stuck out to me was in Life Serial when he talks about 'pulling strings' - he has become an adult, mature enough to be the person that can organise and arrange things for others.

There is criticism of this season being all about Spike, and compared to Xander he is the only male character that really has an arc, though he really doesn't get that much screen time, it's just that the story he has is so compelling, it feels like he's more present than he actually is.

Puppet, GoSpuffy and Stoney like this.
  5. TriBel

TriBel Potential

I don't recall how I felt at the time - certainly I had no negative impulses towards it. Now, 6&7 are my favourite seasons. Certainly, there are glaring omissions - race and class being two issues that should have been addressed directly (race is done but tangentially). There are probably plot holes but I don't read for plot - philosophically, it's consistent and that's all that matters to me. I can understand how people thought it took a turn for the worse but doesn't life do that?

6. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

I don't mind when the characters's lives take a turn for the worse. I do mind when the narrative of the show does though.

thrasherpix and RomanticSoul like this.
  7. RomanticSoul

RomanticSoul I AM GROOT

Nothing wrong with that except S6 was overkill. EVERY character's life was miserable or fraught with drama. That was the unrealistic part. And no one wanted to really deal. For Buffy especially this is year 2 of 3 years of constant badness. My tolerance and sympathy only go so far, especially when the show goes out of it's way to use nonsensical ways to create badness for Buffy (like the DMP job). Couple that with Buffy's own choices where I end up thinking she loves to be miserable just so she can whine about her life and I have no patience for her character anymore.

dcai0830 likes this.
  8. GoSpuffy

GoSpuffy Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer

Black Thorn
    So glad to see some S6 love! I'm not a freak, it resonates with others too!!!

9. TriBel

TriBel Potential

Woman dies to save the world, is resurrected and goes on to take solace with a vampire (including having sexual intercourse while invisible) and the most nonsensical aspect of her life is working in a fast-food joint to earn some quick money? "Fraught with drama" - yes, okay but perhaps that's explained by the fact that it is a drama and normal lives don't expand over 40 minutes a week for 22 weeks (mine is a valid point - the impetus for dramatic action etc. but I agree it went dark very quickly and I can see how it upset people)? Do we always "deal" with every aspect of our lives or do we sometime ignore them in the hope that they'll go away (or is that just me?). Seems to me that much of the problem was to do with necessary and unnecessary lies - both to themselves and to each other. Surely that's the point of WMWF? Did Buffy do the right thing not telling her friends she was angry with them in the first instance instead of trying to protect them? What if she'd been honest and said - "hey I fancy Spike" from the off? That was what he wanted - an acknowledgement from her that he existed as subject not just object - would the outcome have been different? She does some things for the right reason; some things for the wrong reason (as do all the characters: as do real people). Yes - she's tarnished at the end but that's because she's two people - the Slayer and a normal woman. Slayers can be martyrs - normal people can be martyrish and whine a lot (again, is that only me?) just as monsters are capable of both sublime and horrific deeds. Whedon said the mission statement was "Growing Up"...I think it had the subtext "FGS - Grow up! (I'm not convinced they/we do)". TBH, I thought Jimmy McNulty's "I'll pretend to be a serial killer" had as flawed an internal logic as Buffy's story but I'm still in awe of The Wire. As I've said several times, there are probably massive plot holes in BtVS but I don't read for plot (though I'd like to know how she has a massive wardrobe with such a small income). In general (but not entirely) it's consistent at the esoteric level, which is where my interest lies (but I also like Leonard Cohen so that probably says something about me and why I like 6/7).

I'm not dismissing your argument - it's as valid as mine and I can understand the issues you, and many other people, have. I don't particularly like Buffy as a character but I do think Whedon developed her well. Go with the "cookie" analogy - she'll never be baked (but the same can be said of all of us).

Priceless likes this.
  10. RomanticSoul

RomanticSoul I AM GROOT

You do know what an example is, right? That's why I said 'like the DMP job'. It's not the only artificial drama/darkness. The earlier Seasons had plenty darkness and badness but what they also had was balance. It wasn't every freaking character at the same time, for a whole Season. The scoobies weren't turned into assholes just so poor Buffy is even more isolated. Because back then, despie the problems they had with each other, they were clearly still friends who cared. I could go on but I'm not in the mood lol. I've said plenty about my issues with these Seasons before.

I disagree. Buffy turned into someone her younger self would never have been able to be in the company of, if not outright mocked.

I hate that analogy. For one, Buffy has already had that speech in S5 so S6-7 was for nothing just so she could end up at the place she was 2 years prior. Second, it's the thinking of a child. Yeah, at some point in my life I will be set and everything is how I want and then I can make a decision. Life doesn't work that way, especially for a slayer. Life always changes and people do too. The only time you are really, absolutely done baking is when you are dead.

GraceK likes this.
  11. Fool for Buffy

Fool for Buffy "I wanna see how it ends"

Sineya
    When was Buffy bad in season 5? She spent most of the season fighting the toughest opponent she had ever faced while her mom had a tumor, she was given an annoying sister to take care of that had never existed, and was abandoned by her boyfriend because he couldn't except that she was stronger than him. And she coped pretty darn well.

12. Living Dead Boy

Living Dead Boy Joss Is A Very Flawed Boss

Black Thorn

I think that pretty much sums it up. :p No seriously, as I've mentioned in posts before, no other season has managed to leave an imprint on me the way this season did. I respect the hell out of this season.

13. RomanticSoul

RomanticSoul I AM GROOT

I said badness. Not that Buffy was bad. Read again.

14. Fool for Buffy

Fool for Buffy "I wanna see how it ends"

Sineya
    That's kind of a vague word and really means being bad in some way or another. Please explain if that was not how I was supposed to interpret it.

15. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Scooby

Assuming I'm understanding RomanticSoul right then you ironically described the badness he was referring to. To make it clearer, she had to deal with the increasing medical issues with her mother that got worse (with Buffy even breaking into tears as she heard her mother rambling insane upstairs) until Joyce died, she lost Riley under very upsetting circumstances (and that after barely saving his life because Riley didn't want to be a normal human), had Spike's disturbing obsession which she did not like at all (and I don't understand why he wasn't staked that season, at least from a story perspective), the funeral, being threatened with the loss of Dawn in Tough Love, she had to drop out of college, she wrestled with feelings of becoming cold (feeling strange to tell Giles she loved him, and getting upset when the First Slayer tells her "Death is your gift"), and this was all in addition to the supernatural elements. Season 5 put Buffy through the wringer, arguably more than season 2 did. I believe it's been mentioned before on BB that Buffy looked almost relieved that she was going to die in The Gift. And once Buffy is brought back the badness not only continues but gets even worse.

The badness didn't refer to Buffy's behavior, at least not in season 5.

Mylie and Fool for Buffy like this.
  16. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

This for me is why I consider Buffy's depression greater in season 5 than in season 6. She actually did end up killing herself in season 5.

I used to see her sacrifice in The Gift as heroic and inspiring but my rewatch last year has made me see how much more nuanced it is than that. She didn't also sacrifice herself to save the world (and Dawn), she gave up. At that point, she would rather have died then keep losing the people she loves, and having to make the hard choices. If it was that simple, the writers wouldn't have put so much emphasis on how exhausted at it all she is in the last 3 episodes of the season. And because of that, I actually love that season even more. The idea of realizing that life is losing the people you love over and over again and how it would just be easier to end it all so you don't have to go through that process again and again feels so incredibly human and relatable to me. I experienced that myself and I don't think I've ever seen a show express that part of life as well as season 5 of btvs did. And it's perfectly balanced with the supernatural stuff and not too much in your face to feel like you're being bashed on the head with it. That's the most I've ever related to Buffy's depression.

I understand how people who relate to her season 6 depression can feel protective of that arc because I have that with season 5. But I disagree that the depression was well handled in that season. Everything surrounding it (friends not helping, no medication or therapy, no introspection, how it's resolved etc.) is lacking too much to make this a realistic depression arc worth an entire season, for me.

Puppet and thrasherpix like this.
  17. Joan the Vampire Slayer

Joan the Vampire Slayer Carpe Spuffy!

6 has always been my favorite season. I like my TV dark.

Fool for Buffy and Priceless like this.
  18. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

I prefer it light, dark makes it incredibly hard to gif!!! (kidding ;) ) well not really... I do hate the dark light on btvs lol

sk73 and Bluebird like this.
  19. Anyanka Bunny Killer

Anyanka Bunny Killer "I got these evil hand issues..."

Black Thorn
    Currently watching Spike's LONG speech to Clem in Seeing Red. Boring boring boring. *yawns loudly*

The Trio is lackluster...just stupid. I really hate them. A lot. This season is depressing and does NOT entertain me. Except for Dark Willow, of course. There's just too much mopey Spike and...Oh God, Tara's about to get shot. I'm switching to S2 right after....oooh, red-eyed Willow in the final frame. S2 can wait; I want see Dark Willow. :cool:

But next time I watch S6, I'll make sure to be hopped up on anti-depressants. :(

Puppet, dcai0830, Dora and 1 other person like this.
  20. Dora

Dora Potential

Don't like Buffy , like how Whedon developed her , S6 & 7 favourite seasons ?
    I think we have a late comer or someone who has watched the series only on DVD.....Watching it as it aired how can you not love season 1 Buffy or Goofy Xander ,Nerd Willow , and librarian Giles ?
    Whedon at his best S2 and S3 ,
    How can you think that Spike S6 and S7 holds a candle to Spike and Dru ?
    How can you like what happens in the last season's at the expense of the core four ?
    How can you push for S6 when not only did the season not only degrade Buffy and Spikes characters but the actors felt degraded themselves
    I think you can only think that if you ignore all that has gone before or skip though it
    After all it was called ............ Buffy the vampire slayer....who we watched change and grow year on year..... until that awful S6