1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question Season 6: Your views, before and now

Discussion in 'Season 6' started by matt124, Apr 1, 2017.

?

Season 6: Your views, before and now

1. Still love it

2. Still like it

3. Still dislike it

4. Still hate it

5. Loved it, now like it

6. Loved it, now dislike it

7. Loved it, now hate it

8. Liked it, now love it

9. Liked it, now dislike it

10. Liked it, now hate it

11. Disliked it, now love it

12. Disliked it, now like it

13. Disliked it, now hate it

14. Hated it, now love it

15. Hated it, now like it

16. Hated it, now dislike it

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. dcai0830

dcai0830 "Shoulder to shoulder. I'm yours."

I voted: Dislike it. That was always the case.

I appreciate the boldness of what the creative team was trying to do in the sense that they wanted to tear Buffy down, and give her something really difficult to deal with. The problem is that they never build her back up. Not even into Season 7, she never finds her groove. She just falls farther and farther down this horrible black hole and its all so terribly depressing. Buffy at the end of Season 6 is inconsequential.

I hate Spike in this Season. He is so incredibly boring and his whole purpose is to tear Buffy down. Spike was such a more compelling character when he had complexity when his sole purpose wasn't to screw the slayer. I have no problem with bringing Buffy and Spike together for some sexual escapades but I think it goes on too long and it got dull. And Buffy seems to learn NOTHING from it what so ever.

The thing that sucks the most how alone Buffy is at the end of it all. She is alienated from her friends, Giles has left her, she isn't allowed to see Angel due to a new network lol. And its even more depressing because she stays alienated through Season 7.

Bottom line to me is this: Depression is real, I have dealt with it myself. I appreciate if Joss was trying to portray depression on TV (the toxic relationships that come from it, the risky situations you put yourself in), but what I want to see as an audience member is the light at the end of the tunnel. I want to see the hero overcome her depression (maybe with therapy, maybe with new friends, with a new found purpose or a new found personal understanding of what all it all means). Buffy never overcomes. And that is just .... well depressing.

Puppet: Have to agree. Having dealt with depression most of my life, S6 was a bit too depressing...
    Puppet and Dora like this.
  2. TriBel

TriBel Potential

LOL! Dora - I'm older than you. I watched it when it was first transmitted. I watched it with my sons who are adults now. I can enjoy on different levels and for different reasons. I can watch BtVS with monocular vision, with binocular vision, through rose-tinted glasses and from the point of anamorphosis and I can adjust my vision as I watch. I don't skip through anything - quite the opposite. I can enjoy the first few seasons as an example of a postmodern text with a broad liberal feminist agenda - I can "enjoy" the last two seasons as a painful deconstruction of what went before with a view to paving the way for a radical questioning of the fundamental structures that result in the oppression of the other.

PS - I don't give a FF about the actors - there are worse jobs in the world. :)

Priceless and Puppet like this.
  3. dcai0830

dcai0830 "Shoulder to shoulder. I'm yours."

At paley fest this is what Joss, Mari and SMG said about Buffy in Season 6:

"Whedon ...said, "I do remember there was a time when I said to Marti, 'Okay, I think Buffy's been gone for too long. We've lost her, and it's time now to win her back.'" As it turned out Gellar had coincidently gone to Noxon the same day with her similar thoughts. Said Noxon, "Yeah, I remember that day too. It was just a day when everybody kind of thought, 'Okay, we've reached the bottom of the pool. It's time to surface.'" Noxon remembered Gellar telling her "I just feel like I've lost the hero completely in all this exploration." Noxon said they'd always intended Season 6 to be "the time after high school when you kind of lose yourself.""

I'm quoting from here: http://www.ign.com/articles/2008/03/24/whedon-gellar-and-more-at-the-buffy-reunion

I don't think they ever "won her back"