1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Season 7 Dawn

Discussion in 'Season 7' started by Bluebird, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    I'm currently watching season 7 and it occurs to me how much I love Dawn by this point. She has exchanged the whining for quips and a quiet maturity that I really appreciate. She doesn't lash out at people and understands she isn't the centre of the world (as teenagers can think) - she's almost season 2 Buffy.

I absolutely adore season 7 Dawn as a character. Even outside the context of comparing her to season 5 Dawn. Even if this is all we had seen of Dawn and had no bad to rate against, I'd still like her a lot. And if you like Dander you can see a bit of its origin in season 7, with Dawn being treated very much as an adult from the end of season 6 onwards.

The feeling I have towards Dawn does seem to change how I view her in hindsight. On first viewing I was intensely annoyed by Dawn, but now I'm almost looking forward to Dawn's introduction because I know her so well after so many watches. Michelle Trachtenburg is a great performer that was sometimes saddled with bad material.

So who else loves season 7 Dawn?

I know @Guy will have something nice to add. :p

Jam, Monkey Pants, VisionBoy and 5 others like this.
  2. Athena

Athena Tweedledum Staff Member

Black Thorn
    I do believe that Dawn overall suffers from bad writing and bad directing, rather than a bad performance. Michelle Trachtenberg does the best she can given the material she gets. In many ways I wish she had turned out to be a Potential, at least then it would have been a potential we would have cared about (apart from Amanda, because who doesn't like Amanda?!)

I don't dislike Dawn as much as some people though, I can even understand whiny S5 Dawn to a degree, but she definitely matures in the later seasons and it's a welcome addition.

Mr Trick and Forever Spuffy like this.
  3. Guy

Guy Scooby

Black Thorn
    Well, naturally ;)

I loved Dawn ever since 'The Real Me' (hugely underrated episode, BTW). Whenever she's on screen, no matter in which season, I always just grin like an idiot. She's just so DORKY ("geez, crack a book sometime..."), and petty ("Ooh, scary vampires... They die from a SPLINTER!"), and innocent ("She and Willow are both witches. They do spells and stuff, which is so much cooler than slaying. I told mom one time I wish they'd teach me some of the things they do together, and she got really quiet and made me go upstairs. Huh. I guess her generation isn't cool with witchcraft"), and she just really reminds me of my little brother. Sure, she's whiny in season 5, but guess what - EVERYONE is whiny. I always whine at least 19 times a day. Whining is a big part of the human experience. Buffy is whiny too, especially in the highschool years. Whining is awesome. I love the way Dawn whines.

I also think that a lot of the hate that fans have toward Dawn came because they expected Dawn to be like season 1 Buffy, while Dawn's ACTUAL role was very different - she's not a replacement-Buffy, she's a replacement-Joyce! Like Joyce in seasons 1-5, Dawn is Buffy's familial bond in seasons 5-10. And since I always had a deep emotional connection to Buffy's family life (the most heartbreaking moment in 'Becoming', for me, was always that moment when Joyce comes to Buffy's empty room and finds Buffy's letter), Dawn and her relationship with Buffy are incredibly moving to me. Dawn is just as good at that function as Joyce was, if not more. And Joyce was already awesome!

I actually think that season 7 Dawn is a bit disappointing, only because she doesn't get as much screentime as she got in season 5. Obviously, I love every second with Dawn in season 7, but I just wish we got more.

One of my favorite Dawn moments in season 7 is when she tells principal Wood that Buffy can't come because she's sick (a lie, obviously), and Dawn tells it in an especially icky way (and with a totally nonchalant attitude) just to watch principal Wood squirm:

Dawn definitely got the Summers punning gene :D

I also love the fact that Dawn is the one who told Buffy she needs to leave in 'Empty Places', thereby closing the Summers circle in another way - she kicked Buffy out, just like Joyce had in 'Becoming'. Parallels are awesome!

And obviously, the "You're not special, you're extraordinary" moment gives me all the feels. :) Dander 4ever!

Also, she just TASED Xander out of the blue when he tried to take her away for her safety. She takes crap from no one! As Xander says - "Don't look at me, this is a Summers' thing. It's all very violent."

BTW, apparently this adorable exchange was cut from the 'Chosen' script:

Someone just give Dawnie the "most adorable person in history" award already!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    OccaQuokka and Forever Spuffy like this.
  4. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

Season 7 Dawn was certainly an improvement over season 5 Dawn. I do wonder though if that's because Dawn was written more age appropriate in season 7 than she was in season 5. Dawn was supposed to be younger before Michel Trachtenberg got the role so some of the scenes (such as the failing to eat ice cream properly) were written for a younger character. In season 7, they seemed to match Dawn closer to MT's age

5. Forever Spuffy

Forever Spuffy shiny beads and sweet talk

I loved Dawn ever since 'The Real Me' (hugely underrated episode, BTW). Whenever she's on screen, no matter in which season, I always just grin like an idiot. She's just so DORKY ("geez, crack a book sometime..."), and petty ("Ooh, scary vampires... They die from a SPLINTER!"), and innocent ("She and Willow are both witches. They do spells and stuff, which is so much cooler than slaying. I told mom one time I wish they'd teach me some of the things they do together, and she got really quiet and made me go upstairs. Huh. I guess her generation isn't cool with witchcraft"), and she just really reminds me of my little brother. Sure, she's whiny in season 5, but guess what - EVERYONE is whiny. I always whine at least 19 times a day. Whining is a big part of the human experience. Buffy is whiny too, especially in the highschool years. Whining is awesome. I love the way Dawn whines.

I also think that a lot of the hate that fans have toward Dawn came because they expected Dawn to be like season 1 Buffy, while Dawn's ACTUAL role was very different - she's not a replacement-Buffy, she's a replacement-Joyce! Like Joyce in seasons 1-5, Dawn is Buffy's familial bond in seasons 5-10. And since I always had a deep emotional connection to Buffy's family life (the most heartbreaking moment in 'Becoming', for me, was always that moment when Joyce comes to Buffy's empty room and finds Buffy's letter), Dawn and her relationship with Buffy are incredibly moving to me. Dawn is just as good at that function as Joyce was, if not more. And Joyce was already awesome!

I actually think that season 7 Dawn is a bit disappointing, only because she doesn't get as much screentime as she got in season 5. Obviously, I love every second with Dawn in season 7, but I just wish we got more.

One of my favorite Dawn moments in season 7 is when she tells principal Wood that Buffy can't come because she's sick (a lie, obviously), and Dawn tells it in an especially icky way (and with a totally nonchalant attitude) just to watch principal Wood squirm:

Dawn definitely got the Summers punning gene :D

I also love the fact that Dawn is the one who told Buffy she needs to leave in 'Empty Places', thereby closing the Summers circle in another way - she kicked Buffy out, just like Joyce had in 'Becoming'. Parallels are awesome!

And obviously, the "You're not special, you're extraordinary" moment gives me all the feels. :) Dander 4ever!

Also, she just TASED Xander out of the blue when he tried to take her away for her safety. She takes crap from no one! As Xander says - "Don't look at me, this is a Summers' thing. It's all very violent."

BTW, apparently this adorable exchange was cut from the 'Chosen' script:

Someone just give Dawnie the "most adorable person in history" award already![/QUOTE]
    I've always liked Dawn from the beginning. She does get better as she grows up but face it what 14yr old isn't a brat. She alway makes me smile with the goofy things she says, "that's an odd place for a horn" "O" :) And yet she's so intuitive. I did read the cut version also, it came from the actual shooting transcript. I wish it had stayed, it would've been cute. So I second the motion and award Dawnie the most adorable person award.;) (if you read my post of the top fave/un fave people I have her at 5 but I think I like her better than Xander, that was a coin flip)
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 2, 2016 ---
    I've always liked Dawn from the beginning. She does get better as she grows up but face it what 14yr old isn't a brat. She alway makes me smile with the goofy things she says, "that's an odd place for a horn" "O" :) And yet she's so intuitive. I did read the cut version also, it came from the actual shooting transcript. I wish it had stayed, it would've been cute. So I second the motion and award Dawnie the most adorable person award.;) (if you read my post of the top fave/un fave people I have her at 5 but I think I like her better than Xander, that was a coin flip)[/QUOTE]

I don't know what happened there. I effed something up. Sorry

Guy likes this.
  6. Monkey Pants

Monkey Pants Bored Now

Black Thorn
    I LOVE Dawn, and season 7 Dawn is the best Dawn. I've always been very confused at the Dawn hate. Everyone says "Why isn't Dawn as mature as Buffy OmG?!?" but she IS. We never met Buffy when she was 14. We met her when she was 16, after she'd matured due to becoming the Slayer. But we actually get to see that journey happen with Dawn, and by season seven she's as helpful and mature as Buffy was in high school, if not more! She's funny, and smart, and brave, and definitely one of the best characters of the later seasons, when some other characters kind of went downhill. She's like a more confident high school Willow.

Not to mention the girl's been through piles of crappola. First, she has to live in Buffy's shadow, then she finds out she's not even real, then her mom dies, then her sister dies, then one of her mom figures Tara dies, than the other one tries to kill her. I mean, jeez, cut her some slack! She manages to grow up well and find a sense of self despite not really having any supernatural abilities, and often being ignored for other, more immediate concerns.

I love Dawn.

Forever Spuffy: Yay Dawnie
    thetopher, Scooby Corps and Guy like this.
  7. Priceless

Priceless You're my dog, y'know?

I love Season 7 Dawn. She is so mature and understanding, and although I thought it was the wrong decisions, I even loved it when she took control and threw Buffy out of her house. This is Dawn's house too and she felt she had equal rights in deciding who lived there, and I loved that. I thought Buffy would have too, deep down, thought she had raised one hell of a woman who's not afraid of making the big decisions and hard choices.

Dawen has become one of my favourite characters in the comics. It was heart breaking when she was fading away and people were forgetting about her. Dawn's relationships with Spike and Xander are some of the most emotional and compelling in the comics.

Forever Spuffy and Guy like this.
  8. Dora

Dora Potential

Dawn.... what a waste of a good actress ,what little she had in season seven was good, Dawn had turned into a beautiful young woman , but we see little of her after the first few episodes, hated her in nearly all of season six ...but then I hate almost every thing in season six, I dont believe one instant she would throw Buffy out she loved her to much, she was not in a temper as Joyce .Loved her you will wake up a light, only wish she had done it. Wasted, but she had great potential for taking a more prominent role if Buffy had gone on to season 8 ( ignoring comics )

9. Jam

Jam Pepper spray is just so passé

I love Dawn in every season, but yes, season seven is a great season for her!

Her character was put at such a disadvantage just based on how she was written into the show – we're entering the fifth season of a show, so we've been invested in this world for a while, and then a new character who changes our understanding of the world in such a monumental way is introduced. This is inherently going to make for a polarising character, especially child characters for reasons I'm unsure of... maybe it has something to do with (re)introducing a sense of immaturity? I don't know!

Anyway, Dawn is pretty wonderful! I love her sense of humour.

10. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

Also, season 5 was all about Dawn, this new character that suddenly appeared and all the characters were acting like she'd been there all along.

Jam likes this.
  11. Scooby Corps

Scooby Corps Fly! Be free, little bird, you defy category!

Dawn is easily my favorite character of S07 alongside Xander, Willow, and Anya until Selfless. Concentrating on those four makes the season bearable. S07!Dawn is witty, funny, uses her brain (!), grows out of being a damsel in distress, is brave and has some serious growth and *authentic* DRAMAH. Love to the Dawnster.

12. Blair

Blair Vamp Blair

Sineya
    I love Dawn. She was my favourite character in season 7. I loved the fact that she wanted to do research and be part of Buffy's life. Can also understand the hate she gets in season 5.

I love her quick wittedness that she clearly gets from her sister. But also that she can be quite kind- look at the friends she made in school in season 7. She was wanting to befriend Cassie, not only because Buffy wanted to keep an eye on her but I genuinely believe that she thought that they could be good friends.
    I wished she could of been a potential (I mean, as cliche as it might of been, would of made sense with Dawn being based off of Buffy) But also happy to see how she grows throughout the comics.

13. Scary and Veiny

Scary and Veiny Darth Rosenberg

I'm one of the people who found Dawn annoying in season 5 and most of season 6. Totally blame the writing for that, with S5 Dawn being written more for a 10-11 year old and thus seeming even more immature than she should, and season 6 it seemed like they weren't sure what to do with the character once the whole Glory storyline was wrapped up and the Key thing was over. (I did feel kinda badly for her feeling unwanted, but she sure came off as selfish sometimes- "Older and Far Away" is a good example of this.)

But Season 7 Dawn was great. She got to be a part of the gang, helped a lot with research, and showed a lot of character development. She reminded me more of the Scoobies of S1/S2 when they were that age.

DeadlyDuo likes this.
  14. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Add my name to the list!:p Yeah season 7 is possible her best season. I'm not as down on her anyway, but I think you can really see her maturity this season. Its just a shame the didn't do a bit more with the idea of her following in her sisters footsteps.

15. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    Add me to the Dawn supporters! Michelle Trachtenberg gives an excellent performance with limited material and you always get the impression that she is a teenage girl, not an actress standing on her marks and reciting her lines.

Mr Trick: Spot on.
    Mr Trick likes this.